Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
VicPhilly
Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

VicPhilly is off to a good startVicPhilly is off to a good startVicPhilly is off to a good start
Talking Need Nutrition Help

I'm 250-255 at about 18-20% bf. I'm a person that loves food but I need to drop bodyfat to avhieve my fitness goals. Can anyone offer me any guidence on how to design a diet plan
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicPhilly View Post
I'm 250-255 at about 18-20% bf. I'm a person that loves food but I need to drop bodyfat to avhieve my fitness goals. Can anyone offer me any guidence on how to design a diet plan
There are quite a few on here who can help. Be patient, they will find you. In the mean time, help them out a bit.

Age, height and weight?
What does your current diet look like? Sample daily menu for training and non training day.
Do you know your maintenance calorie level?
What type of workouts are you doing and how often?
What are your goals, besides leaning out?
Can your budget handle a change in menu?
How well do you take direction?

All of these questions will help those of us who try to help.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will add to Bama's questions, are you a big night time eater. If so, things like intermittent fasting might be a good fit.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

The first and best step should always be to clean up your eating habits and stop eating empty calories. That means to stop drinking the sodas, stop eating the cookies, and start filling up on foods that actually feed the body. I wouldn't even worry about portion sizes at first, just make sure you're eating meats, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts and grains. Pass on the pizzas, lasagnas, and fast food burgers. That will usually get the scale moving in the right direction and it's an easy first step. Diets are hard to stick to if you go all-in too fast.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
VicPhilly

VicPhilly is off to a good startVicPhilly is off to a good startVicPhilly is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
There are quite a few on here who can help. Be patient, they will find you. In the mean time, help them out a bit.

Age, height and weight?
What does your current diet look like? Sample daily menu for training and non training day.
Do you know your maintenance calorie level?
What type of workouts are you doing and how often?
What are your goals, besides leaning out?
Can your budget handle a change in menu?
How well do you take direction?

All of these questions will help those of us who try to help.

I'm 27 yrs
6'1
254 lbs
I don't have a diet plan setup yet. Its difficult at times with 4 kids in the house when you have junk food available. lol
I need to calculate my maintenance calorie level? Would that be based on my lean body mass or my overall current weight?

As far as my workout i'm doing a 2 week split:
(a1)
Mondays:Chest,back and biceps
Wedsenday: Legs, shoulders and triceps
Fridays: Chest, back and biceps

(ab)
Mondays:Legs, shoulders and triceps
Wedsendays:chest, back and bicep
Fridays:same as monday

my goal is to get down to 225-230lbs @ 10% bf. Once I accomplish that I want to focus on getting into competition shape.

I'm willing to receive direction to help me accomplish these goals. i know its not an over night transformation.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
VicPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I will add to Bama's questions, are you a big night time eater. If so, things like intermittent fasting might be a good fit.
I do eat late at night. How long would you fast for though?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
VicPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
The first and best step should always be to clean up your eating habits and stop eating empty calories. That means to stop drinking the sodas, stop eating the cookies, and start filling up on foods that actually feed the body. I wouldn't even worry about portion sizes at first, just make sure you're eating meats, eggs, fruits, veggies, nuts and grains. Pass on the pizzas, lasagnas, and fast food burgers. That will usually get the scale moving in the right direction and it's an easy first step. Diets are hard to stick to if you go all-in too fast.
Thanks bro cutting out the junk food and sticking to whole foods can be starting point.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Have some comments, but will have to come back later to post them. See you later.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 03-12-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: promised to come back.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Back. Just one comment right now. Don't rely on the calculators alone to figure out your maintenance levels. They can get you fairly close, but each one of us is different. I use them as a starting place. The simple formula is 254 x 15 = 3810 calories. That may be a bit high for you, may be just right. What I do is take that number subtract 500 calories and go for two weeks. Log everything and watch the scale. If you start gaining, cut the cals some more. If you are losing, increase them a bit. Remember, you are seeking your maintenance level. Once found you then have a starting point to start the journey.

I will let Rich or Ripped address macros and other aspects of a plan.

Squat 308 315
Deadlift 408 375

Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

I dont have the energy to walk you through everything right now man, but ill give you a few links to chew on.

I would give a hard look at the low carb thing. learning about carbs will help immensely. You can decide how far you take it.
Low Carb
Low Carb & Paleo Diet - Muscle and Brawn Forums

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Intermitten fasting
The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Lyle MacDonald
Articles | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Hope that helps a bit or at least gives you some reading for the near future.

BTW i love your sig.

Peace.