Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Go from 225 to 315 on the incline and I guarantee when you get there, your physique will have radically changed. A more muscular physique is a side effect from actually getting stronger. Concentrate on strength and you will kill two birds with one stone!
Again, sums it up nicely.

I was so naive when I joined lifting forums back around 2007. I thought everyone knew you have to get stronger to get bigger. Man was I wrong.

From 1986 to 1988 I brought my lifts up substantially. My bench started at 95 pounds and my max ended around 315. I was squatting 365 for reps. The changes in my physique were dramatic. I came home from college and my family was stunned at home different I looked.

I didn't use any fancy program, I just used progression.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
We all start from a different start point and have different genetics... No matter where you start, you will not get significantly bigger and more muscular without becoming personally stronger!
That summed it up nicely. Some guys are made to be 400 lb squatters and others are going to be 600 lb squatters. The common thread is that they are working hard and progressing, and therefore growing.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Again, sums it up nicely.
I need to learn to type faster. Now it looks like I copied you
Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I need to learn to type faster. Now it looks like I copied you
Ha, well to the outsider I'm sure we appear to be of one mind in this thread anyway

Can you give me a good toning workout?

Yes, deep squat 365 for x 5x5.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Ha, well to the outsider I'm sure we appear to be of one mind...
I'm sure there are some that think I'm one of your alter-egos
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I'm sure there are some that think I'm one of your alter-egos
No, I am Tom Platz, Mike Mentzer, Arnold, but not Off Road.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Jamesw
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

"Muscle mass does not always equal strength. Strength is kindness and sensitivity. Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional. That it comes from the body and the mind. And the heart."

little excerpt I thought might fit with this subject.
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
No, I am Tom Platz, Mike Mentzer, Arnold, but not Off Road.
Wait? Wha? You mean they are not real? Tell me it ain't so.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
old school
Brawn
Points: 1,428, Level: 21 Points: 1,428, Level: 21 Points: 1,428, Level: 21

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: barbell hack squats
Fav Supp: milk
old school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality posts

i think this is true to an extent....i think the best way to build muscle is to lift a moderate amount of weight for high-ish reps with decent form...getting stronger and bigger is not all about them 1-3 set grinders
old school is offline   Reply With Quote