Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
What are your top three bench assistance exercises?

LtL
Bench, bench, & more heavy bench! LOL

I like flat bench with the Titan Super Ram, board presses, & band presses(NOT reverse bands). Really anything that will hit your tri's heavy & hard. Tri's are where shirted benching is. The shirt handles the weight at the bottom of the press. The tri's are what locks it out.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Do you believe there is any one single approach a younger trainee can use to get his bench up as quickly as possible?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Ryano
Max Brawn

Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Do you believe there is any one single approach a younger trainee can use to get his bench up as quickly as possible?
You can increase your bench three ways:
1. Get Stronger
2. Improve your technique
3. Get gear/better gear

We all strive to get stronger. Everyone knows you do this by lifting heavy, consistantly, with proper nutrition and sleep. With proper nutrition, I don't mean AAS.

Technique is the fastest way to improve any lift. Proper technique will not only allow a lifter to make gains quicker, but keep them safe while hitting the bigger numbers.

Gear is gear. I don't recommend anyone getting in gear until they have a good grasp on #1 & #2. Any lifter needs to have a good strength base to use gear and good technique since extreme loads can cause more damage to bones/joints if things go wrong. Once entry level gear is mastered, a switch to better(more advanced) gear will make those PR's go up.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

Do you think programs that have you benching heavy every week like Westside are good for raw lifters?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Ryano
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWIP View Post
Do you think programs that have you benching heavy every week like Westside are good for raw lifters?
Yes. I think the principles are the same for building muscle and getting stronger, gear or not. Maybe the % need to be adjusted some since you're not handling extreme weights but you still need to work both muscle types to get the maximum benefit of your training. So benching twice a week is needed raw or geared. DE(speed) & ME(heavy) days. Just make sure you still take a day or week off for deload when needed.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

What back work do you do to help your bench?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

What technique do you use when benching? Elbows in, Flared? Feet flat or brought back?
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

What kind of belt do you use to secure your shirt?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Ryano
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWIP View Post
What back work do you do to help your bench?
I do lat pulls, db rows, seated rows, H-rolls, lateral raises, and use a rear delt machine. I don't go heavy on any of these since they are just support lifts. Heavy enough to stay in the 10-15 rep range.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #20
Ryano
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
What technique do you use when benching? Elbows in, Flared? Feet flat or brought back?
I tuck my elbows at the bottom of the lift and flare them at the top. My feet are wide, tucked back and on toes(unless the federation requires flat feet).