Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Push Press/High Pull

Just a question of form for these lifts:

Should push press be held at lockout or not?

Should high pull be done from the floor or should it be done from a little below waist height? Or is it a personal choice??

In C&P's new blog entry, he says that he does not like to do deadlifts very often because of the extreme soreness they cause and I think I am going to agree with him here, and only do them every once in a while. Powercleans seem to be one of his top exercise choices over deadlifts.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Just a question of form for these lifts:

Should push press be held at lockout or not?

Should high pull be done from the floor or should it be done from a little below waist height? Or is it a personal choice??

In C&P's new blog entry, he says that he does not like to do deadlifts very often because of the extreme soreness they cause and I think I am going to agree with him here, and only do them every once in a while. Powercleans seem to be one of his top exercise choices over deadlifts.
A high pull is generally from the floor. A hang pull is from a standing position. That's generally my understanding of the movement. To me, the hang pull is a less useful movement, as it is more like a power upright row. But I'm sure there are arguments for both.

And if I'm correct, the only difference between a high pull and a power clean is the "catch" at the top.

My question...it it better to do power cleans, or "catch" them Olympic style into the front squat position? Which would be most effective for strength? I'm wondering if catching in a front squat position wouldn't be the best movement of all?

Regarding push press, I don't think it matters. If I had the ceiling height to do them, I would probably do a soft lock or near lock. But I doubt I would fully lock out.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
A high pull is generally from the floor. A hang pull is from a standing position. That's generally my understanding of the movement. To me, the hang pull is a less useful movement, as it is more like a power upright row. But I'm sure there are arguments for both.

And if I'm correct, the only difference between a high pull and a power clean is the "catch" at the top.

My question...it it better to do power cleans, or "catch" them Olympic style into the front squat position? Which would be most effective for strength? I'm wondering if catching in a front squat position wouldn't be the best movement of all?

Regarding push press, I don't think it matters. If I had the ceiling height to do them, I would probably do a soft lock or near lock. But I doubt I would fully lock out.

Sorry if I'm rambling.
Cleans where you catch in the front squat position are way more technical, i have a hard time remembering to squat because of how quick it is, but you will be able to lift more that way, and you get the extra bonus of more leg work
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
Cleans where you catch in the front squat position are way more technical, i have a hard time remembering to squat because of how quick it is, but you will be able to lift more that way, and you get the extra bonus of more leg work
There are different types of clean. Cleaning the weight and catching it in a front squat position when you are already close to the bottom to mid-position of a squat (like Olympic lifters) is a squat clean or full clean. You can lift more that way, but its a technical lift and will more time to master as opposed to the standard powerclean.

In a powerclean, the weight is caught in a position where you will be able to do a front squat, but still you arent exactly low enough while catching it. In fact, the bend at the knees is quite slight and you are in a reasonably upright stance. In general, you will be able to handle more weight with high pulls as opposed to power cleans.

Between a squat clean and high pull, I am not too sure in which case one could handle heavier stuff, especially since your squat clean form is an important factor. But if the squat clean form is good, then the weights handled can be a bit higher than powerclean.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

For push press you should hold the lock out and stick your head through since it will make your stronger, although I wouldn't stress it on any rep scheme past triples as much, unless your going to compete.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Thanks for the input guys!