Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
wannebe91
New Brawn
Points: 213, Level: 4 Points: 213, Level: 4 Points: 213, Level: 4
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

wannebe91 is off to a bad start
Default Nutrition Tips

What are some good nutrition tips for a guy who has been lifting for a short time. Is there anything I really should or should not be eating to help me gain some serious muscle?
wannebe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

This is a pretty generic question, not trying to be so don't get me wrong. The simple answer to your question is the normal don't drink soda, cut out sugar, eat brown rice, sweet potatoes, healthy fats like avacados, almonds and peanut butter. There is plenty more but in order for us to help guide you in the correct park we need more info like your current nutritional habits, routine, sleep habits, weight, goals etc...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #3
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippednmichigan View Post
This is a pretty generic question, not trying to be so don't get me wrong. The simple answer to your question is the normal don't drink soda, cut out sugar, eat brown rice, sweet potatoes, healthy fats like avacados, almonds and peanut butter. There is plenty more but in order for us to help guide you in the correct park we need more info like your current nutritional habits, routine, sleep habits, weight, goals etc...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
haha damn auto correct on my phone!
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippednmichigan View Post
haha damn auto correct on my phone!
Gets me every time... My dog's name is boogie and we often call him boog. Well when you type that into the phone you either get boot or boob.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannebe91 View Post
What are some good nutrition tips for a guy who has been lifting for a short time. Is there anything I really should or should not be eating to help me gain some serious muscle?

The Muscle Zone:

Personally Correct Diet + Exercise

The ULTIMATE MUSCLE MAKER:

Adjustments and/or Corrections in DIET on bodily CHANGES and FEEDBACK + Adjustments and/or Corrections in Training + Adaptive PATIENCE

==============
You manipulate what your learn about diet and fitness WITH what you know about yourself (and learn about yourself), and blend it within your changing living environment.

IMO, the best thing you can do (to get started) is to educate yourself, on what: You are now.

What this means, is:

1. How much you currently weigh.
2. Your height.
3. Your age
4. Your sex (I am sure you know this, he, he, he )
5. Activity category

Then you take these personal particulars, and calculate the calories you need each day, and then plug in macros (Protein, carbohydrates, and fats). And if you wish you can add in some micro-nutrients such a multivitamin, and other supplements, such as Whey Powder, fish oil, and fiber. You manipulate the calories up or down on whether over all weight is going up or down, and the content quality of this weight. As you weight increases/decreases, you calorie needs likewise change along with it.

Think of it like putting a jig-saw puzzle together. As the pieces come together it starts to form a picture, with some pieces still missing. However, since you already have some pieces of the puzzle already put together, this will assist you in finishing off your personal product.

A. Calorie manipulations, B. Exercise manipulations, C. Nutrient manipulations, and Finding the correct blend within A, B, and C, and understanding the body's design intention and one that works with personal attributes and personal environment.

You KNOW without a shadow of doubt, that the answer is in deed among these four items.

YOU never have to question it.

YOU never have to lose faith in it. All of these items are natural to the body: We have to eat (calories and nutrients), and the body was designed for activity and appropriate stress, and thus the answer IS indeed within these three.

With your personal particulars in mind, you then can use one of many BMR calculators, I personally use Harris-Benedict, (though its modified for myself):

One can use the Benedict Formula for Fat Loss or Weight Gain.

Calculate your BMR:

The Harris Benedict equation determines calorie needs for men or woman as follows:

• It calculates your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) calorie requirements, based on your height, weight, age and gender.

• It increases your BMR calorie needs by taking into account the number of calories you burn through activities such as exercise.

This gives you your total calorie requirement or approximated Maintenance Line.

Step One : Calculate your BMR with the following formula:

Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Step Two : In order to incorporate activity into your daily caloric needs, do the following calculation:

•If you are sedentary : BMR x 1.2
•If you are lightly active: BMR x 1.375
•If you are moderately active (You exercise most days a week.): BMR x 1.55
•If you are very active (You exercise daily.): BMR x 1.725
•If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training.): BMR x 1.9

================================================== =======

And, assisting in determining you macros dependent on calorie content:

The Nutrients: Protein, Carbs, and good Fats:

The 3 Nutrients (Carbs, Good Fats, and Protein) are an essential factor in the diet; however, the Law of Energy Balance within the DIET, is the ultimate KING while the Nutrients can play in some key decisions made within the body.

Nutrient Ratios: Example ONLY

Calories per gram of the three major nutrients:

Protein: 4 calories per gram

Carbohydrates: 4 calories per gram

Fat: 9 calories per gram

Example Configuration:

Carbs (2850 calories or your estimated Calorie intake) x (0.50 or other percentage given) = 1425 calories (divided by 4) = 356 grams

Protein (2850 calories or your estimated Calorie intake ) x (0.30 or other percentage given) = 855 calories (divided by 4) = 214 grams

Fat (2850 calories or your estimated Calorie intake) x (0.20 or other percentage given) = 570 calories (divided by 9) = 63 grams

Create a SURPLUS : (Attempt to Gain GOOD Weight, which is what you want)

In order to gain weight, you must create a calorie surplus. It is easier and wiser to increase your calorie intake a little bit at a time--based upon the feedback the body gives you.

What you need to focus on is this for mass: (VERY BRIEF SYNOPSIS)

1. Calories

Go over your approximated MT Line (or create a surplus) of about 300 to 500c. As time passes, see what your bodily feedback is, and adjust accordingly.

2. Have appropriate macro-nutrient targets:

Protein, good fats, and carbs.

Including your micro-nutrients: such as vitamins and minerals, and the supps I mentioned earlier.

3. You select a routine, and then be Consistent and persistent PROGRESSION in the GYM:

Develop your OWN personal science:

What is your personal science?

It is the LEVEL of personal implementation of diet and fitness into ones way of life that solicits a lifestyle change that applies "enough of the person" to achieve the goal they desire. This includes making difficult decisions and easy applied decisions.

Manipulating Diet + Manipulating Fitness Training = KING of SUPPLEMENTS.

I wish you the best in all that you set out to do. You will succeed if you apply enough of you, AND educate your path along the way, young man.

NO ONE WILL EVER CARE MORE..........about your goal, more than yourself.

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post

Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
more food!!!