Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
Rear delts will really come into place with any type of horizontal pulling. To get them a little more involved flare your elbows to the side with rowing lifts (barbell/db). My personal favorite is a snatched grip barbell row, pulled towards upper chest/collar bone with elbows flared. If I'm targeting the r. delts specifically I'll pull my shoulder blades together which will take a little bit away from the rest of the upper back.

Others... rear delt swings; same as the rear delt raise/bent over lat raises but use some body language and momentum to get the weight up -- use heavier weight for pretty high reps.

In a programming/ratio sense, keep upper body pulling volume about the same or a bit higher than pressing volume. Bang for your buck type stuff could involve flaring the elbows a bit more on the pulling. At the end of the training session add in 3-5 high repped sets of rear delt work 2-3 times a week.

Stuff like deads certainly do pull in the rear delts, but not the extent of training them directly or performing a lift (rows) with an emphasis on the rear delts/upper back. Snatches and cleans also will work them quite a bit, but if its a weak area, they will still need to be trained.
Never considered "snatch grip" before, good idea. And many thanks for the advice on ratios of one to the other.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

When I saw the question I immediately thought DB rows and wide grip BB rows. My rear delts are pretty good and I've never really targeted them. However, I work hard on the DB rows.

After the DB row challenge with all those reps my rear delts were the one muscle with the most DOMS.

I've done a lot of deads and I've never noticed any soreness in the rear delt area afterwards.

Cliffs.....DB rows FTW.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
When I saw the question I immediately thought DB rows and wide grip BB rows. My rear delts are pretty good and I've never really targeted them. However, I work hard on the DB rows.

After the DB row challenge with all those reps my rear delts were the one muscle with the most DOMS.

I've done a lot of deads and I've never noticed any soreness in the rear delt area afterwards.

Cliffs.....DB rows FTW.
Thanks for the input, Storm...oddly, I can't remember where I felt DOMS after the row challenge, I may have to go back through the log and see if I mentioned it at all
Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Face pulls are the best thing i've ever done for my rear delts. I do a ton of them now and use a band for the most part. Maybe you should try another band or use gloves or whatever you need to do to use it. They flat out work! Find a way
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #15
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

On occasion i do a variation of rear raises, just sit on the end of a bench, lean forward chest over your knees, grab a db each hand and trust it up with elbows flared out, like a rear delt fly but with bent arms. Allowing one to handle more weight than and also gives the trapzorx a good beating.

Hope you got the picture =)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #16
tattooed redneck
New Brawn
Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: arginine
tattooed redneck is off to a bad start

behind the back bar shrugs, upright rows, seated d-bell shrugs, power cleans, and behind the head barbell presses, usualy hammer my rear delts.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #17
tattooed redneck
New Brawn
Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: arginine
tattooed redneck is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
On occasion i do a variation of rear raises, just sit on the end of a bench, lean forward chest over your knees, grab a db each hand and trust it up with elbows flared out, like a rear delt fly but with bent arms. Allowing one to handle more weight than and also gives the trapzorx a good beating.

i do these by leaning on the decline bench, they hitt my lats pretty good!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
Face pulls are the best thing i've ever done for my rear delts. I do a ton of them now and use a band for the most part. Maybe you should try another band or use gloves or whatever you need to do to use it. They flat out work! Find a way
Finding a way, not always that simple...if I could, I would, trust me; and others on the forum would vouch for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post

Thanks Swede. I have a bench now, so that may be easier than bending and holding position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed redneck View Post
behind the back bar shrugs, upright rows, seated d-bell shrugs, power cleans, and behind the head barbell presses, usualy hammer my rear delts.
Thanks TR I'll look into a couple of those which I don't already do.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed redneck View Post
i do these by leaning on the decline bench, they hitt my lats pretty good!
Rear Lateral Raises work the lats? Weird.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote