Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine
Default Need your guys help...

I have a colleague who chose to help out his female assistant who is interested in powerlifting. They are both strength coaches, but she is interested in competing, which is awesome. We've talked about it, and he asked if I wanted to train with them. When I asked what the program was going to be, he told me he was planning on running a 6 month linear periodization with month one working 6 reps, month two 5 reps, you get the picture. Then I asked if he was doing any speed work at all. He said no, but there will be deload days, which will be lighter weights but used more as a recovery.

Now for me, after reading endless amounts of articles and still have more to come across, i've seen that linear periodization isn't the best way to go about as well as omitting speed work.

Do you think i should approach him about this? I don't want to step on an CSCS toes here, because they are all about the linear and block periodization. Or should I just let it go?

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
moore_716
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

moore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammer

If it was me I just wouldn't lift with them. The trainer at my gym doesn't agree with my workouts. I ask him questions now and then just to make him think I need his input. IMO experience is the best teacher period. No book can teach you what it feels like to hit a muscle. Each persons body is different and experience is the best teacher. What works for some won't work for others.
moore_716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_716 View Post
If it was me I just wouldn't lift with them. The trainer at my gym doesn't agree with my workouts. I ask him questions now and then just to make him think I need his input. IMO experience is the best teacher period. No book can teach you what it feels like to hit a muscle. Each persons body is different and experience is the best teacher. What works for some won't work for others.
I have to agree here, also moore is correct on the whole you cant learn by reading thing, i never was able to grasp many things in regards to lifting until i experienced it, but i also read everything i can get my hands on in regards to lifting, and then use what knowledge i gained to formulate a new hypothesis if you will
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn

dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I've already lifted with the conjugate method, with the westside template..and it has worked the best for me in my own lifts...i do read alot but i also been using my own experience as well..I've tried the linear periodization before and i didn't have as much success as i did with the conjugate method.

The other part of this is that this is the only "experience" he does..and doesn't try to switch it up..i dunno

Old 12-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

IMO you need to do what you think is best, if you are not fully committed to the program mentally and physically then your gains will not be as good. I think that maybe you should just discuss the conjugate method with him and tell him your results. Not try to convince that it is better, just try and talk about it with him see how that goes. He may become interested and want to try it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If you're not fully invested, politely, kindly tell them why.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
jhuse2
Big Tex
Max Brawn
Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30

jhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good posts

I agree with BTB, if it is really a concern for you and you want to workout with them then gather the pros and cons and approach them in a professional manner. Maybe your info will give him more insight.
DEAD LIFTS: . . . . . . . .255/300/435
OVERHEAD PRESS: . . . . 110/135/170

Transformation Contest BULK
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...test-bulk.html
Workout Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...ngth-form.html
~HOT SH!T.. ROCK & ROLL~
jhuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

If she's never done powerlifting before is the conjugate method best for her? The only reason I ask is that I thought Westside addressed weaknesses. What if she doesn't know her weaknesses?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn

Thanks for you input guys...think i'll just approach him with the pros and cons and have a discussion about it...tell you guys how it goes.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
Thanks for you input guys...think i'll just approach him with the pros and cons and have a discussion about it...tell you guys how it goes.
cool man good luck
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote