Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:04 AM   #51
jhuse2
Big Tex
Max Brawn
Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

jhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good posts

I like a full body workout rather than splits. I change my exercise daily but still hit every large muscle group 3 times a week. I have been cycling my exercises about every 2-3 weeks.
DEAD LIFTS: . . . . . . . .255/300/435
OVERHEAD PRESS: . . . . 110/135/170

Transformation Contest BULK
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...test-bulk.html
Workout Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...ngth-form.html
~HOT SH!T.. ROCK & ROLL~
jhuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #52
Jesse Polanco
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Jesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good postsJesse Polanco has made some good posts

all routines are all theoretically fullbody routines

its a matter of balancing rest and heavy lifting to have central nervous system that is ready fire up and recruit muscle fibers to the best of its ability.

what do i know im just some silly teen

MUST GET STRONGER

Last edited by Jesse Polanco; 12-27-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Jesse Polanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #53
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

We generally speak of full body routines in terms of the classic era...using major movement to hit directly chest, back, legs, shoulders, etc., and building the volume over time.

At least when i speak of full bodies, I'm speaking in this context.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #54
jhuse2
Big Tex
Max Brawn
Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30

jhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good posts

BTB, in your opinion, what is the BEST, Fastest way to put on mass and strength?
DEAD LIFTS: . . . . . . . .255/300/435
OVERHEAD PRESS: . . . . 110/135/170

Transformation Contest BULK
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...test-bulk.html
Workout Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...ngth-form.html
~HOT SH!T.. ROCK & ROLL~
jhuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #55
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuse2 View Post
BTB, in your opinion, what is the BEST, Fastest way to put on mass and strength?
A relentless pursuit of progression using maybe 10-12 core heavy compound movements and a diet that is 500-1000 calories over maintenance. Train 2-4 days per week...depending on the individual.

I know this sounds "vague", but it is how I would train anyone that asked me for help - until they hit a 1000 to 1200 lift total on the big three.

If I had a typical skinny hardgainer, I would do something like this:

Month 1: Train 2 days a week, John Christy style A/B split...learn the basic movements and good form. Start to progress.

Month 2-4: Train 3 days a week, A/B split - MWF. Alternate workouts.

After this point I would assess the progression. Some guys might need twice per week AB, some guys 3 times per week HLM fullbody, and those that are progressing quickly - I would place on a 3 or 4 day split.

I believe fullbody routines and AB splits are best for most, but for the "easier" gainers - I want them to hit each bodypart harder for a while to see what happens.

After they reach a 1000-1200 3 lift total, which should happen in the first 2 years, it's time to better look at goals...do you want to try bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. I don't believe guys in their first 2 years of training should use any complicated powerlifting/bodybuilding schemes, techniques. Just hit weights and get a good total, then assess progress.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-27-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #56
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
A relentless pursuit of progression using maybe 10-12 core heavy compound movements and a diet that is 500-1000 calories over maintenance. Train 2-4 days per week...depending on the individual.

I know this sounds "vague", but it is how I would train anyone that asked me for help - until they hit a 1000 to 1200 lift total on the big three.

If I had a typical skinny hardgainer, I would do something like this:

Month 1: Train 2 days a week, John Christy style A/B split...learn the basic movements and good form. Start to progress.

Month 2-4: Train 3 days a week, A/B split - MWF. Alternate workouts.

After this point I would assess the progression. Some guys might need twice per week AB, some guys 3 times per week HLM fullbody, and those that are progressing quickly - I would place on a 3 or 4 day split.

I believe fullbody routines and AB splits are best for most, but for the "easier" gainers - I want them to hit each bodypart harder for a while to see what happens.

After they reach a 1000-1200 3 lift total, which should happen in the first 2 years, it's time to better look at goals...do you want to try bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. I don't believe guys in their first 2 years of training should use any complicated powerlifting/bodybuilding schemes, techniques. Just hit weights and get a good total, then assess progress.
this is all very true, but i am also becoming a believer in explosive movements like the olympic lifts and cleans. those can also help to pack on a good bit of mass
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #57
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
this is all very true, but i am also becoming a believer in explosive movements like the olympic lifts and cleans. those can also help to pack on a good bit of mass
I don't have those ruled out of the 10-12 lifts, but I wouldn't recommend them until:

A) I trust the lifter.
B) The lifter has built some core strength.

I believe the equation is: Force = Mass x Acceleration. Force to me is the definition of explosiveness.

A fast bar speed simply means that there was a greater acceleration over time. Acceleration times increase when weight decreases. Heavier reps/reps towards failure tend to be more explosive simply because the lifter needs to explode out of the gate to complete a rep.

These are the reps that count the most. According to the Carpinelli meta study, which can be referenced in the writings of Clarence Bass, the last reps are more important, regardless of the training style.

Weight Training With Effort - Many Ways

Quote:
“A maximal or near maximal effort simply ensures maximal or near maximal voluntary unit activation,”
The only reason I mention this is simple because I believe all heavy forms of lifting to be explosive. I consider the Olympic movements to be complex - moreso then explosive, therefore a beginner should not do them until they have some core and stabilizer strength built up.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-27-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #58
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I don't have those ruled out of the 10-12 lifts, but I wouldn't recommend them until:

A) I trust the lifter.
B) The lifter has built some core strength.

I believe the equation is: Force = Mass x Acceleration. Force to me is the definition of explosiveness.

A fast bar speed simply means that there was a greater acceleration over time. Acceleration times increase when weight decreases. Heavier reps/reps towards failure tend to be more explosive simply because the lifter needs to explode out of the gate to complete a rep.

These are the reps that count the most. According to the Carpinelli meta study, which can be referenced in the writings of Clarence Bass, the last reps are more important, regardless of the training style.

Weight Training With Effort - Many Ways

The only reason I mention this is simple because I believe all heavy forms of lifting to be explosive. I consider the Olympic movements to be complex - moreso then explosive, therefore a beginner should not do them until they have some core and stabilizer strength built up.
all very good points, but instead of worrying about stabalizer strength why not just start light. Also for the trainee with limited time to train the olympic lifts like snatches and clean and jerks work a relatively large amount of the body's muscles in minimal time compared to the typical style of training employed by most trainers
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote