Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Right now from the pictures I am guessing you are at about 15% bodyfat. Someone correct me if they think I am off base.

So we have you at 6'2", 200. This is:

170 lean mass.
30 pounds of fat.

Quote:
Do you think throwing a carb+Fat refeed (800-1000cals) on Tuesday evening as my last meal + my cheat meal on Sat will be overkill???? I want to spark some good muscle growth and try to shed some of this fat at the same time.
I'm going to say you're going to have a hard time doing this. You are moving from "lean" to "really lean", and at this level it's going to be hard adding muscle while trying to lose more fat. Bodybuilders don't add muscle while trying to get to 8-10% bodyfat for a reason.

Personally, I see no point in cutting. But I'm not trying to tell you what to do. You surely can continue and lose another 10 pounds of fat. That will make the abs start to come in, but after that point you'll need to get back on the gains train anyway.

For lean lifters I don't advocate losing fat until you reach your muscle gain goals.

As far as cutting diets, your eating approach isn't that far off from where you need to be. If you are dead set on seeing abs/losing drop your calories by 200 per day, and keep that re-feed.

My only other suggestion is to break free from the traditional bodybuilding mindset, switch to Paleo eating, and train hard.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcrete View Post
Maybe crank the carbs up on training days and drop them back to 60g on non-training days.

Thoughts?
I do something similar. I rotate my my macros around depending on what I do that day.

Heavy days/High carb (Squats and Deads)
200-250g protein, 400-600g carbs, and low fat

Medium days/Medium carb (Bench, Rows, etc.)
300-350g protein, 150-250g carbs, and 50-70g fat

Light Days/Low carb (Rest days)
300-350g protein, 75-125g carbs, and 75-100g fat
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Right now from the pictures I am guessing you are at about 15% bodyfat. Someone correct me if they think I am off base.

So we have you at 6'2", 200. This is:

170 lean mass.
30 pounds of fat.

I'm going to say you're going to have a hard time doing this. You are moving from "lean" to "really lean", and at this level it's going to be hard adding muscle while trying to lose more fat. Bodybuilders don't add muscle while trying to get to 8-10% bodyfat for a reason.

Personally, I see no point in cutting. But I'm not trying to tell you what to do. You surely can continue and lose another 10 pounds of fat. That will make the abs start to come in, but after that point you'll need to get back on the gains train anyway.

For lean lifters I don't advocate losing fat until you reach your muscle gain goals.

As far as cutting diets, your eating approach isn't that far off from where you need to be. If you are dead set on seeing abs/losing drop your calories by 200 per day, and keep that re-feed.

My only other suggestion is to break free from the traditional bodybuilding mindset, switch to Paleo eating, and train hard.
It's hard to tell his exact BF. I can't tell if his abs aren't showing, or maybe there aren't any to show. There's a lack of vascularity, but again, that could be either fat covering it or just his anatomical makeup. No offense OP!

I'd think he's under 15% though.

In the end, it's up to you what you want to do, OP. If you want more mass, then you aren't getting anything from a cut. It might push back your goals for another year (also might not), but a nice hearty bulk to fill you out would be a good step towards the stage.

It would probably be a good idea to be more specific in your planning. You are obviously very good at planning/controlling your diet, so be very clear in everything else too. When bodybuilders prep for a show, it's a specific show, on a specific date, at a specific time of day. The best are masters of periodization. If you want to be on stage in exactly a year from now, then set up a plan periodized for a year from now, then adjust accordingly. If you react well to a bulk and blow up, then cut sooner than planned. If you're not happy with your bulk but are thoroughly confident in your cutting plan, then bulk a bit longer, but always have a specific date attached to your specific goals. That's the only way you'll be able to asses your ability to reach those goals, so you're better prepared next time.

BTB has been planning for a powerlifting meet coming up. you better believe his plan is based around peaking exactly on that date, and as knowledgable as he is, he's still asked questions to make sure his plan is sound.

A bulk now will also allow you time to further read into carb cycling and toher specialized diet protocalls, which could very well be the key to getting to where you want to be.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

If you want to add muscle I would just go for it now. You're lean as it is.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcrete View Post
Hi, I'm real new to this forum, but read on another forum that there are a lot of great people who know there stuff over here. Glad to have found it.

Anyway, I am 28, 200lbs and 11% bf right now. I have worked on my diet and have been trying to cut for the last 4 months, but it is not going well. No matter how I change my diet, my body is not giving up without a fight.
My opinion, is that I do not have one.

But you do, bro.

But, what I do know that inside you is beating a opinion-o-meter, that trumps all opinions:

You first check-in with your heart.

This will tell you what you want, what you need, and most importantly, what you are "hungry for".

A hungry heart is unstoppable. Look around at people whom have done wonderful and great things within sports (etc, etc), physical disabilities. Their "want-o-meter" is high, and they are hungry. Their heart sings, bro. And, you do not have look far for it.

It will make you do ALL things necessary to meet and exceed your personal goals.

Despite what anyone says, What does your heart tell you? What does it say that you would be MOST happy with?

And, dependent upon this, this is what you do. Despite opinions to the contrary.

And, dependent upon what your heart speaks, it will have a conversation with your consistency and application of hard work that will be required.

Its the only thing that will kick you in the ass and make you go to the gym when you do not want to, and keep you "consistent" in all things related to diet/fitness, when the body starts its physiological and psychological propaganda, when you work through your goal journey--and walk this life.

Though there will be some pot holes, everything ends up road kill, my brotha.

How does it speak to you, dear bro?

How do you currently feel about your body? Where do you want to go? And, most importantly, what would you be MOST happy with?

Dependent upon this answer, depends on the advice I give you. Because this needs decided first.

What say you, my brotha?

And, lastly, remember:

You should already know the side effects of you. And, the only anal discharges one should get, is being anal about your diet and exercise.

Be stronger than your disappointment, more stubborn than any resistance.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 08-25-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

that. was. epic.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

With all of your wants aside, you have much room to grow my friend. Some people dont like walking around all bulky and big, I understand that... kinda.... but really, you have a very nice base going, already pretty lean, and I can see many areas that can be improved on and "bulked up".

Get your Fixx at the Muscle and Strength store!
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...e-science.html

Or our online store!
www.advancedmusclescience.com

Don't talk about it, Be about it
!

TEAM THOR!
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote