Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Bench: the exposing of weakness

I have reached a new level of hell on bench presses this month. I have worked with 405 twice and the biggest challenge is my abs and obliques. They quiver and rebel and feel like they are going to cramp.

Just wanted to mention this because I have been working the heck out of my abs and obliques this year with weighted work. It's really helped with my squat eccentrics, but with how weak they feel on bench - I have some work to do.

Just when you think you've turned a weakness into a strength, heavier weight teaches you that your weakness is still a weakness and you're not working hard enough.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Szelago
44 yr bulk phase complete
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 1yr since coming back
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Leg Press
Fav Supp: Thank god for elastamine!
Szelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributor

Maybe it is just simple pre-exhaustion/ over fatigue of the core muscles from the weighted work.
I kow I have had my abs cramp up bad while simply getting in/out of a low sitting car due to the reasons above.

In the mirror of adversity we see what we are truly made of.
Szelago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It's a very distinctive transition. Both times at 375 I felt strong and had no issues. At 405 my abs and obliques felt like they were going to twitch and burst out of the flesh.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have reached a new level of hell on bench presses this month. I have worked with 405 twice and the biggest challenge is my abs and obliques. They quiver and rebel and feel like they are going to cramp.

Just wanted to mention this because I have been working the heck out of my abs and obliques this year with weighted work. It's really helped with my squat eccentrics, but with how weak they feel on bench - I have some work to do.

Just when you think you've turned a weakness into a strength, heavier weight teaches you that your weakness is still a weakness and you're not working hard enough.
Just another reason why getting from 2pps to 3pps is not the same as getting from 3pps to 4. At heavy loads just holding the damned bar can be hard! You'll get it done.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Just another reason why getting from 2pps to 3pps is not the same as getting from 3pps to 4. At heavy loads just holding the damned bar can be hard! You'll get it done.

LtL
Exactly.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post

LtL
So true. You see guys all the time race up to some decent numbers and you think, "Holy crap, this guy is going to blow right past me." But everybody hits that wall somewhere and things start to become a real struggle. I guess that's what seperates the true competitors.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
But everybody hits that wall somewhere and things start to become a real struggle.
Truer words were never spoken.

I spent a year at 405 x 5 on squats and I thought things were never going to get better.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
HERC410
Russian Bear in Training
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2 years, 10 Meets
Fav Supp: Moose Jerky
HERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributor

Thought about bench supports? Chuck Sipes was a big advocate back in the day.
HERC410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
MonsterMike
Brawn

Training Exp: 11
Fav Exercise: Squat
MonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good posts

As frustrating as it may be....you can look at it two ways: 1) it sucks ect ect ect...or 2) its always good to know where you at and where you can improve bc the only way to go at that point it up....think of "weaknesses" as what i like to call "opportunities"....its your opportunity to get bigger, stronger, and better! Just think.....you are putting up beast numbers and you still have room for improvement....how much better will you be in 6 months of work! Looks like this could be an exciting time for you! Best of luck dude....keep training hard and beasting your workouts!
MonsterMike is offline   Reply With Quote