Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!
Default Staying Healthy

Hey folks,

I've seen quite a few incidences of aches/strains etc in logs recently, which in of themselves aren't a big deal. Aches/strains will of course happen while you're pushing yourself hard. However it's how we deal with these that will effect whether we'll progress through the various stages of injury:

1) Just plain hurt
2) Injured
3) Completely £%$^ed

Mostly we hit stage one perhaps once or twice a year, less if we're lucky, more if we're older. At that stage it's usually just a matter of backing off for a week or two, do some lighter work and then carry right on. However we usually get hurt when we're really pushing our limits and our enthusiasm is high, so it's a struggle at that point to get people to actually back off. They'll make up every excuse under the sun why they need to go heavy again the next session. Usually it's the younger lifters and occasionly some older lifters who should know better, there's plenty you can get away with when you're younger but your body is less forgiving as you age. So rather than wait till you're %&^£ed just start treating your body a little kinder now, so you won't be as *%£$ed when you're older.

What needs to happen when we're hurt is to back off. Just take that next week or two easy on that bodypart. You have a lifetime to gain, train and maintain. In that context blasting that shoulder/elbow/knee this saturday with your buddies isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. It can wait a few days.

In addition I have touched on ways to remain injury free here
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Good post. I think it's also important to remember that we can also do things to prehab and prevent injuries either from happening or, more likely, from recurring. Prehab for me includes but is not limited to:

- Proper and adequate warm up for sessions including mobility work, deep heat application, specific stretching, light sets
- Use of specific assistance to strengthen weak points for example: Rotator Cuff work to prevent shoulder injury
- Foam or PVC rolling before, after training and on off days
- Stretching/Yoga on off days
- Icing problem areas after training and on off days
- Sports massage/chiro/physio

Using some or all of these becomes more important the older you are (real age and training age) and will likely keep you lifting for longer. None of it is exciting, cool or that much fun. A lot of it is downright dull or painful but if you want to train long term, it will help.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

This couldnt of come at a better time for me.

I am on my 3rd cycle of 5/3/1, just finishing off 5/3/1 day, then deload is next week. I skipped my deload first cycle, my 2nd cycles deload I did heavy front squats one day, then the other days did some dynamic benching, squatting and deadlifting instead of deloading. Now its coming onto the end of my 3rd cycle, without any real deloads. My knee hurts, my lower back is a little tender, both my shoulders joints hurt and my elbow joints hurt. Its just a dull pain luckily. None of this has ever been sore for me before, apart from my lower back which is normally not that bad at all.

I can also relate to making any excuse to go and lift as heavy as I can when I know I shouldnt and I am 22 haha.

Next week I WILL make myself actually do a deload, I can certainly feel I need it.

Thanks!

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Also I have started adding things from here to my day to help my upper body. I have been doing the exercises from the first video and it makes my shoulders and elbows feel better, it also has a video on SMR using the foam roller and lacrosse ball.

The Keys to Upper Body Injury Prevention and Strength

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Great reminders. Thanks for posting that guys.

I battle with this from time to time. Most recently I started Juggernaut, but the battle for [higher] reps every session had me using less-than-stellar form on my pressing movements. This led to a sore shoulder. I didn't want to stop the new program, but I didn't want to mess up my shoulder either. In the end I decided it was smarter to use a different protocol for my pressing rather than stick with a program that obviously wasn't agreeing with one of my body parts. Long term gains > short term gratification.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Mostly we hit stage one perhaps once or twice a year, less if we're lucky, more if we're older. At that stage it's usually just a matter of backing off for a week or two, do some lighter work and then carry right on.
Excellent advice. I learned this the hard way. I also learned that I needed to listen to my body and dial down the heavy weight, not training super-heavy every workout. I know we live in a Chaos & Pain world, but unless you're darn lucky, you won't be able to train 90% every week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote