Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Snacks & 3 Square Meals Per Day

Some questions that relate to family and friends who aren't into lifting.

1) How many of your friends and family members snack in between the 3 standard meal times and/or after dinner? For the sake of discussion let's count a snack as anything with 30-50 calories or more, from a piece of fruit to a candy bar, soda or bag of chips.

2) How many of your friends and family actually eat what would be considered a conventional "square" meal at breakfast, lunch and dinner? For the sake of discussion, let's say a "square meal" is simply something with nutritional value, from a bowl of cereal to a turkey and cheese sandwich on wheat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

My parents do both of the above: snacks inbetween meals (cereal bars or fruit) and 3 squares a day. My wife is the same.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My wife and kids snack every day. Cheese, yogurt, fruit. They also eat 3 meals. My wife sometimes eats 2.

Co-workers - Most every co-worker I've ever had snacked on a daily basis at work.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

And I want you all to know this is a leading question, and I am going to make a point...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Both of my parents and family eat pretty much 3 square meals and do some snacking in between
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Yes most people I know do this. I would also say I fall into this group, until I saw that you're differentiating between meals & snacks based on nutrition. I really never consume "empty" calories anymore. In fact, the worst thing I eat on a regular basis is natural ice cream and that's really not bad: Cream, Milk, Eggs (sometimes), Sugar (worst part), and natural flavor (vanilla, cocoa, or fruit).
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
I would also say I fall into this group, until I saw that you're differentiating between meals & snacks based on nutrition.
Snacks can be healthy or unhealthy.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I'm going to reveal my point...I respectfully present this so that the topic can be intelligently discussed.

It is not uncommon to see the debate thrown around that frequent feeding is a myth, was invented as a way to trick people into eating more protein, and that old school lifters didn't eat like this. Along with this perhaps a fantasy that old school lifters just ate chicken breasts, rice and broccoli 3 times per day.

My point is this...nearly everyone I know snacks. I would wager that at least 90% of the folks on forums that rail against frequent feeding snack at least once per day. Also, this belief that old school lifters never snacked is idealistic and wishful thinking.

If most of us snack anyway, why is snacking on protein, milk, fruit and/or almonds in between meals such a bad idea? If you're going to snack, why wouldn't you balance it and add protein?

While some of the old school lifters stuck to 3 square meals per day, many of them didn't. More than this, of those that did stick to 3 meals per day, many of them added things like milk or bananas in between meals, or foods such as this.

A comment about Reg Park's diet:

Quote:
Deon Silva:
I think Reg's diet will come as a real surprise to most! I have asked Reg on many occasions to confirm this.

In the world of modern bodybuilding nutrition (egg whites, low fat diet styles etc.) Reg's diet is something of a contradiction to all of that. Here is what he did...

He ate anything he pleased! To bulk up he simply ate more!

Back in the late 1940's and early 1950's there were no set or accepted diet rules for the bodybuilder, no books on bodybuilding nutrition. In the modern program "Body for Life" the six meals a day has almost been punted as a new, modern concept, but Reg was doing this way back then.

Reg's main source of protein was - Full Cream Milk! He drank pints/litres of it per day (full cream, not the modern low fat variety). Reg has always said that milk is your cheapest source of protein.

Reg was a huge eater and he ate anything that was calorie rich! Reg believes in a simple nutrition plan - to bulk up, eat a lot! and workout hard!
I am not trying to say that eating fewer than 5-6 meals per day can't work. I simply want to point out:

A) Most who rail against frequent feeding snack anyway, in some way, shape or form.
B) Old school lifters did not eat with some idealistic 3 meals per day structure with only chicken breasts and rice.

For some info on the old school lifters that did only eat 3 meals per day, check out Marvin Eder's comments. They ate like mastodons - with plenty of beef and calorie dense foods..

Quote:
I would eat regular foods. All kinds of food: milk and steak and chicken and dairy foods, cereals. All kinds of good food and it did well for me.

I would eat about three times a day. I could never eat as much as others. Oddly enough, I saw some of the old-time muscle men put away food that astounded me. I tried to do that one time when I was out in California when I entered one of the Mr. America shows.

Ed Yarick who had a gym at the time invited us to his home - there were several of us - and he made a huge amount of hamburgers and all this food and I could not match the other guys and how they ate. I forced myself to eat more. I turned green and went to the bathroom and vomited it all up. I could never eat as much as others could. Apparently my body didn't need it.
Reg Park on his intake:

Quote:
Reg: I liked to eat like a king, but only food that was good for me. I ate prodigious amounts of food during the day, but adhered to a very balanced diet with everything in proper proportions. My favorite food is steak, which I sometimes eat twice a day. I also like salads, orange juice and wine. I have a wine cellar in my home. I also have used protein supplements and take vitamin and mineral tablets.
Quote:
Earle Liederman once wrote in "Iron Man" about the gastronomical indulgences of bodybuilding starts, "Reg Park of England wins a good second to Mac Batchelor with his speed. Once, when dining with Reg, he gargled three large plates of vegetable soup, then gulped chucks from his extra large and thick steak without his teeth sinking into the meat once, apparently, next stuffed many side dishes of vegetables into his ever open mouth and these include an extra large pair of baked potatoes, a huge bowl of salad, three glasses of milk and the last, the piece de resistance, a big dish of ice cream with cake. And all this, mind you, in about ten minutes. Gee! I've seen hungry bloodhounds gobble down food, but Reg Park wins a can of fried grasshoppers as second place for amount, and first place for speed."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.