Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default How To Help, or The "Right" Questions to Ask

One of the most common things I see on forums is the "plateau and do this" thread.

A poster (generally a novice/beginning trainee) will state that he has hit a wall and isn't making progress. This may be on bench press, chest development, or general muscle and strength gains.

Folks will jump in to help. They lead with good intentions, and this is nice to see, but generally the advice given - the "do this" - is based upon major assumptions. These assumptions are:

1) The lifter is eating properly.
2) The lifter is persistent and doesn't miss workouts.
3) The lifter has a sensible workout approach.
4) The lifter is focusing on progression of weight.

The truth is, most novices that have hit "walls" aren't doing any combination of numbers 1-4. In addition, some of them are, but think that adding only a rep or two to a lift each week is "poor" progression (a wall). Obviously it is not.

So the next time a novice states they aren't making progress on bench, etc., instead of advising board presses and close grip bench presses and dumbbell bench presses and face pulls, ask them about "numbers 1-4".

Quote:
What does your eating look like, do you miss workouts, what does your workout plan look like and do you focus on progression weight (adding reps and weight) on every set, when possible?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I should add a number 5: poor exercise form.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good points made.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Very good point.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Things to consider myself! I generally fail at least one of those a week.

I realize this is meant to be a "simple" thought, but maybe add a 6th for sleep. I never considered how important completing my sleep cycle each night was until I'd done it consistently for about a week and felt amazing while lifting with no other changes.
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdog View Post
Things to consider myself! I generally fail at least one of those a week.

I realize this is meant to be a "simple" thought, but maybe add a 6th for sleep. I never considered how important completing my sleep cycle each night was until I'd done it consistently for about a week and felt amazing while lifting with no other changes.
I agree - #6. Sleep

I always ask about daily stress. It's just a big cortisol dump out there.
Commuting, work, kids, bills, politics, etc....

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
I agree - #6. Sleep

I always ask about daily stress. It's just a big cortisol dump out there.
Commuting, work, kids, bills, politics, etc....
I was thinking rest as well, sometimes when tired from the previous day, training would suffer and the next session things were great again.

So, probably 6 initial areas to consider, the first 4 (in the top post), rest/sleep and form.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

What is this sleep you mention?

Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What is this sleep you mention?
My thoughts exactly... with 4 kids i cant remember i had a complete night of uninterupted sleep

But they're worth it....

Sometimes

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote