Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Great leaders understand that their primary function is to be a servant, and not a tyrant.

This is a concept that a friend of mine taught me several years back. He modeled it in every way. One day I hope to be like him.
Very Socratic.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Very Socratic.
The reference is lost in translation. Did Socrates say something similar? If he did he beat Jesus to the punch.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
The reference is lost in translation. Did Socrates say something similar? If he did he beat Jesus to the punch.
He did. In the book the Republic, Plato (through the mouth of Socrates) put forward three main arguments, the last of which described his "perfect society". As part of this he described the perfect leader, a leader who is almost reluctatant to lead by virtue of his/her humility, modesty and lack of greed but does so because s/he is the best person for the job.

By today's standards the "perfect society" might be dismissed by some who just skim the material as overly communistic. However there were stark differences between what he proposed and what communism eventually came to be. I only mention this because it's a recurring yet short-sighted argument against Plato's perfect society.

Many philospher's have come to similar conclusions since then, but I believe Plato was the first to formally write it down. I'm not sure about how that fits into Jesus or the religious angle as I honestly don't know a great deal about Theology or religion, outside of some Ethical arguments.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks Fazc.

I spent many years studying both Eastern philosophy and world religions, but I never strayed towards Socrates and co.

Jesus was very much a servant leader. Religion aside, his philosophy was admirable. It should be noted that Jesus did not care much for religion without a servant's heart.

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel about on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves." (Matthew 23:15)

"Even so you too outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness." (Matthew 23:26)

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-20-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I spent many years studying both Eastern philosophy and world religions, but I never strayed towards Socrates and co.
Nice, i've read a fair bit of Sufism and i've got a couple of Khalil Gibran books on my shelf staring at me since around 2009 haha, but I haven't touched them yet. That's as far into the Eastern stuff I got. What sort of stuff did you read?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Nice, i've read a fair bit of Sufism and i've got a couple of Khalil Gibran books on my shelf staring at me since around 2009 haha, but I haven't touched them yet. That's as far into the Eastern stuff I got. What sort of stuff did you read?
I was big into Taoism, and some Buddhism. I loved studying everything I could. I also enjoyed studying Jesus, as well as the differences in beliefs between Christian denominations.

I also had a passion for Biblical history, primarily during the era of Jesus until modern times. I also enjoyed studying Nag Hammadi texts and about the Gnostic gospels.

My library was obscenely immense. Four years ago I sold all my books on Amazon. It helped to fund my home gym.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Jesus was very much a servant leader. Religion aside, his philosophy was admirable. It should be noted that Jesus did not care much for religion without a servant's heart.

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel about on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves." (Matthew 23:15)

"Even so you too outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness." (Matthew 23:26)
Nice quotes.

To tie this back to the training board: I think in Religion/Philosophy just like in different training methods it's important to focus on the numerous areas that various opinions converge, rather than the relatively fewer areas that they differ.

If everyone did that we'd probably all be happier both in our hearts and in the gym!

Last edited by Fazc; 06-20-2011 at 03:19 PM.