Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #21
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I agree with Steve. These coaches of people like Federer, Woods et al may not have played to the same level but they have come close. They were certainly above average. I think it's possible to coach someone further than you have gone yourself but going back to the original coach in question, coaching someone to squat more than double your own PB is unlikely.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Better than Federer...or do the folks on this list at least have a minimal level of proficiency in the sport they are coaching? Because that was the question. We are not asking these coaches to be advanced...but we are asking if they have a MINIMAL level or proficiency. I believe the coaches you referenced all do. I believe our strength coach in question does NOT.
That was my point, that you dont have to be elite to coah to/at that level, obviously you need to be able to do the thing that you are coaching to a respectable lesson, i couldnt for instance coach golf, cos i SUCK at it, even though i have read various handbooks and things about HOW to play it.

I think you example of a strength coach that cant deadlift more than 350 is correct that they shouldnt be coaching YOU (seen as how you can lift far heavier than that), or most people tbh, but that is not to say someone who has a smaller deadlift than you couldnt coach/train you to lift more than you are now.

I think my point (in between all the waffle) was just because someone isnt better/stronger/faster than someone else is, it doesnt mean they cant teach them something.

i think it was stated that if someone isnt elite they cant train coach to an elite level, but i honestly think they can. for example Joe E Martin coached Ali and several others to goldden gloves titles, but wasnt even a very good intermediate boxer. IMHO there is a lot to be said for Rippetoes 'Coaching eye' to whether somene can show you how to lift/run/jump/fight whatever. Do you have to be good at what you are doing, for sure. Do you have to be elite, I personally dont think so, but then thats all to do with how you define 'elite'

This however, is just ridiculous, unles there is a medical reason...
Quote:
Yet we have a powerlifting/strength coach who was unable to squat more than 300 pounds after a decade of squatting?
Carl.

Last edited by Carl1174; 05-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

My personal opinion is that as long as an individual can teach you correct technique and point out the flaws in your technique, he (or she) would do just fine as a general strength coach. However, unless someone has actually "been there, done that", I wouldn't accept him as a powerlifting coach. If I'm going to pay someone to coach me in powerlifting, I'm definitely going to have a higher level of expectation from him, and part of those expectations are that he pay his dues in blood, sweat, and tears.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #24
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
My personal opinion is that as long as an individual can teach you correct technique and point out the flaws in your technique, he (or she) would do just fine as a general strength coach. However, unless someone has actually "been there, done that", I wouldn't accept him as a powerlifting coach. If I'm going to pay someone to coach me in powerlifting, I'm definitely going to have a higher level of expectation from him, and part of those expectations are that he pay his dues in blood, sweat, and tears.
This ^

IMO, I think there are lots of coaches who can teach you how to go about getting stronger. But if I have a specific goal I'm looking towards, such as a 500lb squat, I'd rather get info from someone who knows what 500lbs feels like on their backs and has gone down in the rack with it.