Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks guys. 220 will be here soon.
Kickass man!

I'd love to be 220, but I have a long way to go for that to be even semi-realistic. I was thinking of doing an IF diet sometime soon. I don't think I could deal with all the Paleo restrictions, so I figure IF is the next best thing to allow me to some food pre-WO.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
highkick09
Max Brawn
Points: 3,980, Level: 40 Points: 3,980, Level: 40 Points: 3,980, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

highkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributor

Awesome very keen on this type of diet, friends use it as a lifestyle choice and are much healthier and leaner, so they say its great seeing someone giving it a try.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

That's really what it is about for me...a lifestyle. I loved the Warrior Diet/IF as a lifestyle, but carbs just aren't working well with right now.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Nice work Brother, Im right behind ya!

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #25
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Reheating this subject a bit. I'm actually now considering a Paleo diet (or at least a Paleo-esque diet), not because of the weight loss factor (although that would be a welcome benefit), but because I'm severely lactose intolerant and it really rears its ugly head from time to time (one of those times being now) and gets so bad that I can't even eat anything without severe abdominal pain. I think it's getting to the point where I'm having trouble digesting ANY type of sugar (as lactose is technically a sugar), because I have pain even when eating simple carbs, candy, bread, etc.

I'm not sure that I would be able to stick to it very strictly but I might give it a go and see what happens. I just feel like my digestive system is so unhappy right now that it might be a diet that could give it a little bit of a break, if nothing else. I'll be going to the library later today to get a book on it so I know what I'm getting myself into.

But I *refuse* to eat "offal". I'm just sayin'. Guts are nasty.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have been using it and really feel good EV.

I assume that you will be eating cheese that doesn't contain any lactose? I am lactose intolerant as well...

Old 04-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
I have been using it and really feel good EV.

I assume that you will be eating cheese that doesn't contain any lactose? I am lactose intolerant as well...
I assumed that cheese wasn't part of the diet (as is all dairy, from what I've read). Aside from that, my understanding is that cheese is normally low lactose, and I haven't had a problem eating it recently. But since I've been having my stomach problems again, I've been eschewing practically ALL dairy, even my beloved cheese.

When I was diagnosed, I was having the same problems, to the point that I couldn't keep anything down and anything I DID eat caused a lot of pain everywhere in my abdomen. I cut out all dairy and was very diligent about it for a month, and I felt a lot better. Then I started to introduce dairy products back slowly, just to see what I might be able to tolerate better than other things. I found that anything with whey was a killer, so is ice cream. Small amounts of milk seemed fine, along with yogurt and cheese (including cottage cheese). Now I'm back to having problems again. I don't know if the intolerance may be a cumulative thing, if my body could only take so much of the dairy again before it started to protest. I don't know. All I know is that I feel like smashed ass again and I'm unable to work out properly because I'm tired and can't eat well. Something's gotta change.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Some do and some don't eat dairy. My personal stance is that if dairy doesn't contain lactose, it's a thumbs up. This opens the door to heavy cream, butter and cheese.

I am not sure if you have been watching sugar content in dairy products, but it's something to keep an eye on. Cheese, heavy cream and butter are devoid of lactose (at least nearly devoid). Milk, ice cream, etc., are not.

You certainly don't have to include these foods, but they open so many doors when cooking. Buttered veggies. Cheeseburgers. Heavy cream and low-glycemic fruit

Old 04-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #29
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Quote:
Some do and some don't eat dairy. My personal stance is that if dairy doesn't contain lactose, it's a thumbs up. This opens the door to heavy cream, butter and cheese.

I am not sure if you have been watching sugar content in dairy products, but it's something to keep an eye on. Cheese, heavy cream and butter are devoid of lactose (at least nearly devoid). Milk, ice cream, etc., are not.

You certainly don't have to include these foods, but they open so many doors when cooking. Buttered veggies. Cheeseburgers. Heavy cream and low-glycemic fruit
Everything I read is that dairy is not allowed. Where would Paleo man have gotten milk products? Also they said anything with salt is off limits and butter is usually salted. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just confused I guess. This is why Paleo seems hard to me, because I'm unclear as to what is and what isn't "allowed". For instance, they say no beans/legumes. But why? Nuts are Ok but not peanuts and peanut butter. Are beans and legumes a man-made substance (e.g. a product of neo-agriculture)?

I just came back from the library but their copy of the Paleo Diet was out. Bummer.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #30
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

And to the dairy point, humans are not biologically meant to consume milk past toddler age, which is even more of an argument to steer clear of it altogether in adult hood, lactose tolerant or not.