Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor
Default Leangains and IF

I was reading the leangains website today and I've found very interesting. Just wondering if anyone here has tried this approach and how they felt and the effects it has on training. It seems to go against everything that mainstream fitness community preaches ie, 6 meals a day, eat as soon as you arise or you will shrivel up and die. Just curious to everyones opinion.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I haven't tried it but my opinion of it is that it will probably work but not for everyone. The 6 meals per day approach is the standard because it works for most people. IF may work for you but 9times out of 10 it's not as effective or as easy to manage as 6 equal meals per day.

My two pence/cents

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
I haven't tried it but my opinion of it is that it will probably work but not for everyone. The 6 meals per day approach is the standard because it works for most people. IF may work for you but 9times out of 10 it's not as effective or as easy to manage as 6 equal meals per day.

My two pence/cents

LtL
I've never tried it but to me it seems alot easier on life in general when you don't have to spend half your day preparing food for 6 meals for the next day.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

People seem to run this type of thing successfully. Sounds similar to carb' backloading which Vinny Dicenzo was writing about in his log on Elitefts.com the other day. Check that out.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I explored "IF" quite a bit, and have digested several books and major opinions on the approach. Beyond that, I have personally run short and long term experiments with and without protein/BCAAs in the underfeeding window.

One thing I will say before presenting my results is that everyone will react differently. If you do try underfeeding/overfeeding, make sure you use a caliper and document your body composition.

During 2 months without substantial (more than 10g) of protein during the underfeeding window I lost 41 pounds of fat and 7 pounds of muscle. I ate BIG at night, and my daily calories were usually around 2400 to 2500. During the underfeeding I had 3-4 strawberries and a piece of string cheese or two. No BCAAs.

When I added in protein shake feedings with no carbs, I stopped losing muscle. In fact, I started to regain my muscle losses. I ran this for over 2 years, and still use it.

Ori Hofmekler, the creator of the Warrior Diet (A version of IF), personally told a friend of mine that those with the goal of maximal muscle building/retention should eat protein during the underfeeding.

Iron Addict (Wesley Silveria), in his book, advocates the use of at least BCAAs during the underfeeding, if I remember correctly.

I feel great using undereating periods. They never impacted my energy. Quite the opposite. I felt better.

My current eating style is a freakish blending of IF and Paleo. I generally only eat protein shakes during the day, and eat whatever I want at night (Paleo style). I sometimes add some almonds or eggs during the day.

In my opinion, "IF" is the hands down best way for big eaters to lose rapid amounts of weight. As long as they eating clean foods at night.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

The one big help I have learned is related to carbs and foods. Because you are fitting your calories in a small window of time, it is easy to think you can eat anything. I found, that I tended to eat too many carbs, to which I am sensitive, and would stall. Lesson learned? Keep it clean.

IF would be difficult to use to bulk. I tried to eat maintenance for two weeks and found that it was tough to get the calories in during that window, unless I resorted to Olive Oil, cream, etc... to add calories without filling myself up.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
ForwardMotionStruggle
Strugglin'
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: Not enough.
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
ForwardMotionStruggle is off to a bad start

Actually, IF is getting lots of popularity with the WarriorDiet, 4 hours, etc.

I'm personally using IF on a ketogenic diet. It's only been two weeks, but I plan to hold it for about a total of two months at least. I enjoy it. I'm rarely ever feeling starved and on my schedule, it's really convenient for me.

I'm not taking any supplement on this diet yet beside a preworkout.
Soon, I'll be purchasing multivitamins and BCAAs.
I'm making sure I get plenty of protein because of BtB's story of losing 7lbs of muscle mass.
ForwardMotionStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I eat when I am hungry and I eat everything except trash...If I am super hungry I eat food, If I have a mild craving I have a shake but if I eat food there is always Protein. Steak, Chicken and Fish..

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote