Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
ForwardMotionStruggle
Strugglin'
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: Not enough.
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
ForwardMotionStruggle is off to a bad start
Default Flaxseed Oil vs Fish Oil vs Every other Omega 3, 6, 9

So some might know how frugal I become when it comes to buying supplements.

My next question is on Fish oil.

What's the difference between flaxseed oil, fish oil, and ever other healthy fat source? Besides from where they come from, will it effect me differently?

Thanks,

FMS
ForwardMotionStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I personally use both.

I found this article that explains it nicely:

Fish Oil Versus Flax Seed Oil - Which Is Better?

Quote:
In one respect, fish oil is definitely “better” than flax seed oil. Fish oil contains two omega-3s that are especially important: EPA and DHA. The body uses EPA to create many hormone-like substances that reduce inflammation and other “excited” states in the body, such as raised blood pressure. Also, eight percent of the brain is composed of EPA and DHA, and one wants to be sure this 8% stays healthy!

Taking fish oil can guarantee that the body gets enough of these two vital omega-3s.
Quote:
Flax seed oil contains an omega-3 called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is one of two fatty acids that the body needs and cannot make for itself. Several other sources of ALA do exist, most notably walnuts and hemp seed. Omega-3s are needed by every cell in the body. Among other things, an ample supply helps ensure that cell membranes stay flexible so that cells can get nutrients easily.

The body can use ALA to make all the other omega-3 fatty acids that it needs, including both EPA and DHA. Thus, if you get enough ALA, you don’t need to eat any other sources of omega-3s.

Another advantage of getting one’s omega-3s from the ALA in flax oil is that the body does not create more EPA and DHA than it needs. Therefore, ingesting too much EPA/DHA is not an issue.

The human body uses a variety of omega-3s, not just EPA and DHA. To make the full range of these omega-3s, the body needs ALA from flax oil (or walnuts or other sources) in addition to EPA and DHA. Thus, one needs to consume some ALA even if fish and/or fish oil are plentiful in one’s diet.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will add that when it comes to supplements, I personally believe a good multivitamin, plus fish/flax should be at the top of the list.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
ForwardMotionStruggle
Strugglin'
Brawn

I'm torn because I can't afford both. I'm thinking of just grabbing the flaxseed...
Thanks for that info though. I never knew any of that.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

My joints were killing me the other day, I starting hitting more Fish Oils and Flax seed and now I dont have a problem

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardMotionStruggle View Post
I'm torn because I can't afford both. I'm thinking of just grabbing the flaxseed...
Thanks for that info though. I never knew any of that.
Twinlab has a blend for only $8:

Fish/Flax Oil Blend - High Dose Omega-3 & Omega-6 - On Sale Now! | Muscle & Strength

Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
ForwardMotionStruggle
Strugglin'
Brawn

Oh wow. You're a freaking miracle worker.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardMotionStruggle View Post
Oh wow. You're a freaking miracle worker.
Glad to help.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

The only thing I'd be keeping an eye on is being cautious not to overconsume one in relation to the other two, since they are balanced within the body and with so many foods being fortified with one or the other, it's a balancing act if you're not careful.

Having an excess of one can lead to issues but I can't remember which one, or the exact issues...Google may have something if you search "omega 3 6 ratios problems" or something along those lines.

It may be highly unlikely that you'll end up overconsuming one of the omegas, if you don't go overboard and select every fortified food on the shelf, but it's always good to know.