Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Appreciation Threads
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Appreciation Threads Lifter Appreciation Threads. Contains resources, pictures, workouts, videos and articles on specific lifters.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #41
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
YES!!

Your going through a huge change with the Reeves, on many levels.
Tell me about it. I am tired today, not aching really, or exhusted, but tired and I slept really well too

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #42
xKyle10
Disciple of Casey Butt
Max Brawn
Points: 4,707, Level: 43 Points: 4,707, Level: 43 Points: 4,707, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

xKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributor

Doesn't Casey Butt have some posts on neck isolation work? I am trying to provide my buddy with some information about the neck losing size when prepping for a show and neck iso work should be included, but can't seem to find the posts.
xKyle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #43
old school
Brawn
Points: 1,428, Level: 21 Points: 1,428, Level: 21 Points: 1,428, Level: 21

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: barbell hack squats
Fav Supp: milk
old school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality postsold school has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
I would say so, yes. It's all about the energy systems. This is why doing 20 rep squats adds to your 1/3/5RM, but the 1/3/5 rep squats don't add very much to your 20 rep total.
does training with high reps increase 1 rep max strength? If so, wouldnt it be more logical to train higher reps to lower risk of injury?
old school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #44
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKyle10 View Post
Doesn't Casey Butt have some posts on neck isolation work? I am trying to provide my buddy with some information about the neck losing size when prepping for a show and neck iso work should be included, but can't seem to find the posts.
Hi XK. This is the only thing I've seen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Butt
A head harness is best for the back of your neck.

Lying on a bench with your head off the end and a plate on your forhead is best for the front of your neck.

You don't really need to train the sides, but Nautilus makes a good machine for that if you want a really complete neck workout.

2-3 sets of each exercise for 12-15 reps, 3 times a week, works best.

If you're strong enough, wrestler's bridges are excellent (but somewhat dangerous). You can do them to the front and back.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #45
xKyle10
Disciple of Casey Butt
Max Brawn

xKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributorxKyle10 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi XK. This is the only thing I've seen:
Thanks for that Steve, I think I remember him explaining about why neck work is needed but that will suffice for now!

Here are some gems of my own that Casey has helped me with in my training:

on tricep hypertrophy and exercises:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKyle10
What is the difference between the two? [I was referring to elbows flared vs not]
Given the below picture of the diagram:

I have come to the realization that my lateral head (2) is the most well developed part of my tricep. My long head (1) is lagging the most, and the medial head (3) is close behind.

I have always tried to keep my elbows in and closer to the body. Has this caused my lateral head to develop more than the other heads? What can I do to cause hypertrophy of the long and medial heads? My main staples in tricep training have been: French Press, Close Grip Bench Press and Skullcrushers.

I am thinking reverse grip skull crushers and french press or cgbp for exercises. I am going to limit myself to two, phase 6 of Casey's FBR Beginner Routine starts the week after next.
Quote:
It's unlikey that elbow position alone contributed much to that. Most likely it's humerus position. In order to recruit the long head maximally the elbows have to get up over your head (either standing or lying), so any type of overhead French Press or lying Pullover will do the trick.

Personally, for overall triceps recruitment I like Reg Park's favourite: Lying triceps extensions with a barbell lying on a decline bench and pressing back over the head instead of straight up over the face - hits all three heads as equally as one triceps exercise is ever going to. But for long head specialization it's overhead extensions (or on an incline bench) or pullovers.

on "upper chest" (clavicular head) hypertrophy and recruitment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKyle10
Given this area of the chest, what exercise(s) will induce the greatest results in terms of hypertrophy?

A 15-30 degree incline barbell press would be awesome, but most gyms have no such thing. I was thinking of doing Incline BB for the Heavy Days (1 and 3), and on the light days, ~30 degree incline db press (stack 3 plates under the bench), and gironda dips.
Quote:
Personally, I think it's a little early to "worry" about your clavicular head just yet, but having identified that it's a potential problem area it's good to be at least "aware" of it at this stage. If I were you I'd concentrate solely on finding which pressing angles and dipping styles recruit your pecs best - those will probably always be your best exercises. Don't expect miracles overnight, but time spent on the best exercises for you will yield much better results than time spent on the worst.

There are some "tricks" you can do to help forge a better mind-muscle connection with the upper pecs. One is to do DB Front Raises with your palm facing upwards and leaning sideways so that your arm is coming up and across your chest instead of just up and in front of your shoulder. (Hold a post with your free hand and lean away from it; raise the DB up across your chest with the other; your upper body should be leaning away from the post at a 30-45 degree angle). Use light weights for this - you're not trying to make the muscle grow with this movement, you're trying to teach your brain to "connect" with it. Do two fairly easy sets of 12 before you do your presses... it should only take a few minutes. Then when you do the presses try to recruit the same upper chest muscles you did when you did the "Pec Front Raises". I've used this exercise for years with people who can't "feel" their upper pecs. Almost everyone "feels" their upper pecs working big time with this exercise, the "tricky" part is then transferring that recruitment to presses. It requires concentration, but at least you know what you're looking for and the brain is more "connected" to those fibers.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #46
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

From Casey's site today.

Quote:
This came up in the Sergio Oliva's measurements thread, but is so off-topic that I started a separate thread for it.

This article is from the November 1956 edition of Muscle Builder, and like many of the articles in that magazine lists no author for the article. I'll include my own personal comments and clarification (if necessary) in [ ]...

From "Reg Park: Professional Mr. Universe 1951", Muscle Builder, Nov. 1956. [This is already inaccurate because in 1951 the Mr. Universe was an amateur competition and had no professional division.]

"The husky, broad shouldered, dark haired young man carefully evaluated the physique and muscularity of the young giant who stood before him. [This "husky, broad shouldered, dark haired young man" is supposed to be a description of Joe Weider, who was in reality a narrow shouldered, poorly developed runt who weighed about 135 lbs soaking wet with his clothes on.]"

"'If you follow my advice and train correctly, you'll be the greatest in the world. You'll win the greatest title of them all and FAST.'

These were the words spoken to Reg Park by Joseph Weider. They were destined to make bodybuilding history for the story of Reg Park's rapid rise to weight training fame is not only incredible, one to amaze both expert and beginner, but is also directly bound up with, and due to Joe Weider and his famous system of barbell training.

Without Joe Weider, Reg Park might still be an unknown, still struggling with some old fashioned system or ill planned schedule to attain his physique goal. Now, thanks to Joe Weider's training principles, Reg Park, 1951 Professional Mr. Universe [again, this is incorrect as it was an amateur-only competition at that time], is world famous, recognized by all as one of the greatest physical specimens that ever lived. He is vivid proof that today, Weider leads the field and will continue to do so."

"...He [Reg] had come specially to America to study under Weider. What the results were we shall now see."

After a few paragraphs about how Reg was using an old-fashioned routine and although he won the Mr. Britain, he didn't know much about proper training and his progress had stopped...

"Then came a chance meeting with Ben Weider who was visiting England on business. Curious to learn the truth about our methods, Reg questioned Ben deeply and Ben felt the best thing he could do was present Reg with a copy of the Weider system and let him study it. Before Park was half way through the courses, he was fired with a new enthusiasm, filled with the knowledge that every question in his mind concerning his bodybuilding progress had been answered.

A letter to Joe Weider from Ben explained exactly what Reg had in mind, and within 3 hours of his landing in America, Reg was already in the hands of Joe Weider. He was given valuable hints on posing, training and healthful living. He was shown how to use the various training principles, how to conduct a self-analysis and plan his own routines based on Weider principles.

He was shown how to use Cheating Moves for greater bulk, how to use the set system for faster results, flushing exercises for greater definition and power, isolation principles for muscle mass effect. In one month under Weider he had learned more about bodybuilding, had more progress than in all the previous years he had been training..."

After a few more paragraphs of how the Weider principles built Park into a champion...

"But before we do give you his general training routine we would like to point out that it is our principles, methods and exercises that are responsible for the Reg Park Mr. Universe Physique [my emphasis]. If Reg Park's words of praise, which he has written in his scores of articles for Weider Publications do not prove this, then may we offer his photos as mute but irrefutable evidence to support our claims... [goes on to say how Weider is the "maker of champions", etc]"

These are very blunt claims, and I might add that this article was published after Park had broken business relations with Weider and had been publishing for several years his Reg Park Journal in which he told his own version of his training evolution and rise to fame and included very little reference to Joe Weider or his training advice. Also, Park vehemently disputed Weider's claims to have trained him or being a product of his advice in articles and interviews for the rest of his life, including the biographical DVD that Jon Jon released just before his death.

From what I can tell, Weider, like many other people in the bodybuilding industry of the time, assessed Park's physique and discussed bodybuilding with him... so did Oscar Heidenstam, Spencer Churchill, Clancy Ross, Marvin Eder, the panel of NABBA judges, the staff of the Health and Strength League, etc, etc, etc. Only Weider was so audacious, underhanded and deceitful to use that to make these understandably deeply offensive and insulting claims about being Park's "messiah".

Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #47
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

More...

Quote:
Reg Park writing about his association with Weider in a 1954 Reg Park Journal...

From "Joe Weider and Me" by Reg Park...

So much has been said, written and inferred about my connection with the Weider concern, that I feel it is my rightful duty to enlighten physical culturists throughout the world as to my relationship with it, which is as follows: It is interesting to note that he claims me as being his star pupil for 1953 and 1954, but I have not seen him since December, 1951, nor have I had any business correspondence with him for 2 years. In short, all my relations with the above concern ceased in 1952.

He has me down as an editor for one of his magazines but I have no connection with him or his magazines, nor for that matter do I wish to have any. Furthermore, articles continue to appear in his magazines under my name, which I did not write. In these articles he shows me illustrating exercises which are supposed to be my favorite exercises when I rarely perform them - as anyone who has trained with me or seen me train can vouch for. The same applies to his goods; he has photographs of me tied up with his food stuffs - and whilst no name is given, he infers that I partake of same.

Unfortunately, it is not a simple matter to straighten out these things as international laws and currency come into play and there is also the terrific financial costs to be dealt with.

These are the true facts and I leave it to you to draw your own conclusion.

Also, from "Joe Weider Get Off My Back" by Reg Park in the Reg Park Journal...

"Recently in an American Physical Culture Magazine there appeared an article about getting massive, written by Weider. In it, he refers to a conversation which he asserts took place between a 'cop' and myself about 'my massive shoulders and chest'. As an exercise in imagination the article deserves full marks. This conversation only took place in Weider's mind. Readers, it never really happened! Later in the article Weider refers to me as his pupil - more fiction! I was never his pupil and Weider knows it. [my emphasis] Believe me, I had 'wide shoulders and a mighty chest' long before I ever clapped my eyes on the 'imaginative Joe'. He proceeds to tell how he helped me to win the 'Mr. Universe' title, and that he flew over a week prior to the contest in order to help me complete my training. Another flight of fancy! I did not see him until the night before the contest and then only for a very short time. I much preferred to go to bed early to be ready for the great day that lay ahead. Come off it, Weider. Play the game! But perhaps you don't understand the meaning of this latter expression."

...and the title of that last editorial explains, quite clearly, why Park never competed in the IFBB.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #48
IronWarrior
New Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

IronWarrior is new to the forumIronWarrior is new to the forum
Default Transition from Program #3 to #4 of beginner routine

I'm a little confused about how to transition from program 3 to 4 in the beginner routine and I'm looking for some advice on how my weights should be progressing.

At the end of program #3 (week 6):

Squat: 145x10, 185x10, 215x10 (BW=215 lbs)
Bench: 125x8, 150x8, 175x7
Row: 115x8, 140x8, 165x8
SLDL: 105x10, 125x10, 145x10
Military: 65x8, 85x8, 105x6
Curl: 55x8, 70x8, 80x6

First off, does the weight progression from set to set look ok?
Should I be keeping the increments tighter?
When I move the weight up, should all 3 sets move up?
I understand the first set is supposed to be a warm-up so it doesn't make sense to aggressively increase the weight of the first set, right?

The only criticism I have so far with this program is there are no real instructions as to how you should be increasing the weights. Casey says things like "add weight when you feel you can" or "start light".

I'm supposed to do 1 heavy day and 2 light days being 80% of the heavy day.
The last set for all of these is already genuinely difficult, even missed some reps (sad as that is). So should I use these as my heavy day weights (+ an increase)?

How would the weight progression change on a light day? Start with the same weight but do smaller jumps from set to set?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by IronWarrior; 06-13-2011 at 02:46 PM.
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #49
xKyle10
Disciple of Casey Butt
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
I'm a little confused about how to transition from program 3 to 4 in the beginner routine and I'm looking for some advice on how my weights should be progressing.

At the end of program #3 (week 6):

Squat: 145x10, 185x10, 215x10 (BW=215 lbs)
Bench: 125x8, 150x8, 175x7
Row: 115x8, 140x8, 165x8
SLDL: 105x10, 125x10, 145x10
Military: 65x8, 85x8, 105x6
Curl: 55x8, 70x8, 80x6

First off, does the weight progression from set to set look ok?
Should I be keeping the increments tighter?
When I move the weight up, should all 3 sets move up?
I understand the first set is supposed to be a warm-up so it doesn't make sense to aggressively increase the weight of the first set, right?

The only criticism I have so far with this program is there are no real instructions as to how you should be increasing the weights. Casey says things like "add weight when you feel you can" or "start light".

I'm supposed to do 1 heavy day and 2 light days being 80% of the heavy day.
The last set for all of these is already genuinely difficult, even missed some reps (sad as that is). So should I use these as my heavy day weights (+ an increase)?

How would the weight progression change on a light day? Start with the same weight but do smaller jumps from set to set?

Thanks in advance!
I've been running this program since November and saw great progress strength/physique-wise doing the following. I wrote this up in a log on the weightrainer forum and made some subtle changes on a few lifts here and there but for the most part I used this:

Quote:
My plan for Phase 2 is to have about 50-55% of my 10RM be the first set, and the second set to be around 70%.
For Phase 3, it is basically the same weight-ramping scheme as was used in Phase 2, but now on the new added 3rd set, I plan on using about 75-80% of my 10 RM.
For Phase 4, eight-rep maxes will have to be calculated, and I plan on using about 80% of my 8 RM and 10 RM accordingly for the heavy day (Wednesday). On the light days (Monday & Friday), 80% of the overall weight that was used on the heavy day (Wednesday) will be used.
For Phase 5, its just Phase 4 with two heavy days and one light day, with the same principles applied.
For Phase 6, the first set will be around 50-55% of my 8RM & 10RM, second set around 60-65%, the third set around 75-80% and the fourth will be around 85-90%. I am not going to jump right into using my 8RM and 10RM because that would simply lead to plateauing quickly. I reckon it will take about three weeks or so before I start actually hitting new PRs but this will ensure that I won't plateau too quickly. For the light day, I will be going through the basic phases, but more quickly. Each "phase" will probably apply to the light day for only a week, but the percentages of my 10RM and 8RM will obviously have to be adjusted so that by Phase 6 I will only be using 80% of my 10RM and 8RM.
That has worked pretty good, the percentages are deviated a bit on OHP, it's more like: 35%, 50%, 60-65% and then the last set is all out 100%/PR, for whatever reason that lift is a bit awkward with it. For deadlifts (I took out SLDL, I do Conventional Deadlifts on the 1st Heavy Day, and Sumos on the 2nd), so I will do something like 135x6, 155x6, 185x6 and the last set is usually a PR, so like 335-345 and I usually do as many reps as possible which was 12-15 at one point and has now came back down to 7-10. You will probably have to adjust certain things to suit your needs but it's an awesome routine.

The reasoning for not jumping right into 100% for the last set for Phase 6 was to lengthen the amount of the routine and for my CNS to adapt, which was a good idea as I still have a bunch of weeks left for PRs. The Light Days once you get to Phase 6, are pretty much whatever isolations/assistance work that you need, I usually just stay within 75-80% of what I'm capable of, but work up to that as well.

Right now I'm in Phase 6 (currently on week 14), and I pretty much ramp the weights up, 2 warmup sets, one moderately heavy set, and then I go for PRs or 100% of my RM for the last set. Definitely took some adjusting but that is why it's so important to start light on that program. It was a pain and pretty demoralizing to use the bar or 95 lbs for things like squats, etc. in the beginning of the program but that all paid off greatly. Best routine I have ever done.

You can check my log on here, I forget what page FBR starts on, this log is a lot more concise though: The Strength and Size Forum - Login

Hope that helped. One more thing, don't focus too much on getting the workouts done in 60 minutes once you get into Phase 6. My Heavy workouts are generally 90-100 minutes now, so take a little bit of extra rest to hit the PRs when the time comes. Everything up until Phase 6 is pretty easy to get it done under 60 minutes as long as the intensity is there.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #50
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Weider just seem so full of sh*t its unbelievable !!!

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote