Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Jwood's Powerlifting Meet Results

This weekend I competed in the NJ State Championships with the IPA, I was a 220 Raw Amateur Junior and I weighed in at 216 plenty of room.

My day started out awful, I did not get a qualifying squat. I could not hit depth I do not know what happened, 450 felt so light on my back but I just do not know. I thought I hit depth on my first, but I was high. I have no excuse except that I allowed myself to get sloppy in training.

So after that I got switched into the iron man division which is just bench and deadlift. So I changed my bench opener to 275 to ensure I got a qualifying lift. I hit 275 easy and then hit 305 pretty well. That is a ten pound meet PR for me. I next went to 320 and got crushed. I was a little happier after this.

Now, deadlift my favorite lift. I opened at 500 and got that pretty easily. Next, I went to 550 and got it with a bit of a struggle. So, for my final attempt I went to 570, I got it off the floor and locked it out but for some reason I got red lights. As far as I am concerned I got the lift, one judge said there was a hitch, but none of the guys standing around saw it. That is ok, 550 tied my current PR.

Overall, not a great day at all. I should have opened up with a lighter squat. this was probably the longest day of my life, I left my house around 615 am and did not get home until 10 pm. There were just too many people and having hours between each event just killed my energy levels. The meet was still a success somewhat, I know what I have to improve on, and I now know what kind of meet to look for, a small one! I enjoyed the day and it was great to meet Bodybygamma and ehubbs, two great guys that know a ton about powerlifting. Thanks guys!!

Now it is time to go back to the drawing board and basically start over. I need to get away from 5/3/1 for a while. Basically, 531 swelled my ego and allowed me just to focus on hitting prs and let my form come second to hitting that next PR. Its all good, live and learn. My training is now going to be in blocks, everything will be a four week block. This should allow me to focus form and strength.

I will start with 8 weeks of Block Periodization, from a chart. After that I will do a 4 week block of westside, and then a 4 week block of a bodybuilding split. That is my plan for now, things change.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It's good to hear from you Jwood. I've been sitting around all weekend refreshing the site looking to see what happened.

You have any video from your squats? I don't want to rehash the weekend, but am just curious how low you looked.

Good luck with the block training. Don't lose focus or get discouraged. You are brutally strong and this meet will seem trivial in 2 years. You have the potential to hit a natural 600 pound squat which is beyond beastly. I know you will get there.

Congrats on the meet PR.

Also, I never got a chance to sponsor you...Next time send me a PM 2-3 months in advance.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

Jwood if you are interested in block periodization, I would suggest at least looking into The Juggernaut Method. Its 16 weeks broken down into 4 week blocks. Starts with high volume of lots of sets and reps of light(er) weights, allowing you to work on form and really getting everything tight and locked in perfect for the last few blocks.

The only problem that I would see for you is it is block periodization shoe-horned into a pseudo 5/3/1 type template. but instead of a week of 5s, week of 3s, week of 5/3/1, it is a month of 10s, month of 8s, month of 5s, and a month of 3s. As long as you keep your ego in check and not go for crazy rep PRs, it might serve you well, while not straying too far from what you are used to.

The program's creator Chad Smith, used the program to hit a 1962lb total raw. If you go to EliteFTS, you can see where he started and ended using his program. Pretty solid results. Good luck man.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Thanks steve, I think this meet actually got me refocused. Now, I know what I have to do. There are many things I need to do but right now I need to focus on hip flexibility and squat depth. I think I am going to have to film my squat sessions more often. This is something I have always thought I should do, but never actually did it.

BBG said that he got film of the second squat attempt, I think the first one was probably a better attempt. But I think this video will show me a lot.

Me and my dad both forgot our cameras, so tony got some good video. My dad bought a cheap throw away camera so when I get them developed I will scan them in and post them also.

This week I am going to do whatever I want, no structure. I am going to do some powercleans and atg squats, just for fun.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Sorry to hear you had a bad day. Great you are man enough to see what you did wrong and are going to improve the pionts.

Have you tried Foam Rolling? I know a lot of P/L that I know do it to help with flexability for squats and deads.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Thanks adamf, I will look into the program in the future. Right now I think I need to get away from anything 5/3/1, since I am just angry with it. But i will look at the program. I will keep a close eye on your log for a while and then look more closely into it. Thanks

Thanks rich, I have tried foam rolling, I just have not done enough of it. I need to use it more.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

sounds like a tough day mate, but use it and move forward, like Steve said you are very strong and you know what works and what need to be worked on. Dont get discouraged, head up and go SFW, we are all proud of you buddy

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

It was great meeting you! It's tough bombing on the squat but you live and you learn. Find some guys that really know the sport and get that depth issue fixed. Now get after it!
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #9
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Tough day's only make your tougher. Great comeback hitting a bench pr,and I personally thought you were robbed on the 3rd deadlift. I posted your video on your Fb when you get a chance, I didn't get all the lifts because as you said it was a long day and was running around warming up, moaning, groaning and dying a little on the inside.

Still was a great meet, lots of fun, we all learned a few more of CROM's lessons, and are only one step closer to solving the riddle of steel!

The only answer to the question "How are we going to get up that mountain?" is UP! WE MUST CLIMB UP, I DON'T CARE HOW WE GET THERE, JUST UP! *in arnold voice*
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote