Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarp82 View Post
i switched from 5x5 to a 8-12 reps since i started cutting.
That's not a big issue because we know you are progressing and the rep difference isn't huge.

I see guys every day who think they must go to 15-20 reps and drop the weight to "shred a muscle".

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

So basically if you are on a "cut", as long as you are progressing in either weight or reps, or just not regressing at all, you can safely assume that you are keeping the muscle you currently have?

I ask because I am overweight and am trying to lose a lot of fat, but I did not alter my program at all and am still seeing rep and weight records. So is the weight I am losing primarily fat then?

I started adding in a bit of HIIT in the form of Kbell swings and BB complexes after lifting days just to kind of help things along. Am I totally wrong in any of this, or am I on the right track?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
So basically if you are on a "cut", as long as you are progressing in either weight or reps, or just not regressing at all, you can safely assume that you are keeping the muscle you currently have?

I ask because I am overweight and am trying to lose a lot of fat, but I did not alter my program at all and am still seeing rep and weight records. So is the weight I am losing primarily fat then?

I started adding in a bit of HIIT in the form of Kbell swings and BB complexes after lifting days just to kind of help things along. Am I totally wrong in any of this, or am I on the right track?
Cutting is all cals in and cals burned by end of day. For your weight lifting the higher rep just use more cals. If you want to do power reps and a 5 x 5 set up just increase your cardio to burn the extra cals.

As long as you burn more cals by days end than you take in you use fat energy.

Personaly I don't change my work outs because of cutting for a comp show, I just lower carbs and add cardio.

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 01-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum

Thanks a ton Rich!! Quick question and not to hijack the thread in any way, how far do you cut your carbs and how big is the effect on your training sessions?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #15
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
Thanks a ton Rich!! Quick question and not to hijack the thread in any way, how far do you cut your carbs and how big is the effect on your training sessions?

For my LBM I start at 150g and by the show month I'm down to 100g. With a re-feed once a week with a 100g carb increase. Slow drops to not shock the body.
I generally make PR's until the month before my show. This is because the body has been in deficient mode for so long all the stores are used up and the body goes into save its self mode.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote