Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine
Default Why Do You Train?

I've been living somewhat of a seclusive life for the pass couple weeks. Don't know anyone in the New York area, and gf has been gone for a month already for an externship for school.

I'm naturally a spiritual person even when it comes to my training. I could go one forever about it but I am curious to what drives everyone else to train. Maybe this will give you something to think about so that when you train, there is more to it than just training..

WHY DO YOU TRAIN?

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject

Last edited by dmaipa; 01-11-2011 at 06:31 PM.
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

WHY DO YOU TRAIN?

-for yourself? To better my health and prolong my mobility as long as posable.

-impress others? If it drives them to better them self, YES.

-for attention? If it opens up wheelchair bodybuilding to the main streem, YES

- why do you train? All of the above in one way or another.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Every human being, at some point in their lives, realises that healthy living (regular exercise and good diet) is essential to a long and happy existence.

Too many people find this out the hard way, when it's too late to have really enjoyed their full potential. Too many people see it as a chore; something their doctor tells them they have to do. This mentality typically leads to failure, before any results are earned.

I do not have this mentality. But it still doesn't come easy.

I don't know if that answers the question... it's very early.

I'll have a closing sentence in a little while.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post

WHY DO YOU TRAIN?
I train because it's one of the few things in life that I can control. The work I put in yields results. The lack of work I put in takes away results. I know exactly what to expect.

I also train because I like to be big. I like the feeling of people moving out of my way. It's not a bully thing, but now that I'm a dad and husband it's more of a "daddy bear" thing. I like the power to growl and protect the family.

I also once trained for attention. I found out early that women liked the results. That era is long gone now that I'm married, but I still would like my wife to be proud of me when I enter the room.

I train to be Tom Platz. Tom was always my role model, long before the Interwebz and this modern infatuation with squats. I had no clue that squats were "lifting royalty". I just squatted because it gave me big wheels, and allowed be to walk into the shadow of Tom.

Lastly, I train because it is a spiritual experience. I love being alone with the iron, and having no one around. It's my favorite taste of freedom.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-11-2011 at 08:37 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

^well said.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Same to you abs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn

dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Lastly, I train because it is a spiritual experience. I love being alone with the iron, and having no one around. It's my favorite taste of freedom.
well said brother

Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
#Maverick#
Mental State Is Zenlike
Max Brawn
Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: About 8 Months
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: MILK
#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts

for myself, the iron never lies to u unlike other things in live, in the gym i have no worries, the iron will never try to deceive u or harm u (unless u drop something on ur neck/foot, but thats a story for another day), and everything i do, i do to better myself and beat my previous benchmark
#Maverick# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn

In Regards to the Myth of Sisyphus--

But what was the punishment to which our friend" Sisyphus was subjected? Somewhere along the line he angered one of these “great” gods and was condemned to pushing a stone up a hill for eternity. Every time the stone reached the top it would roll back down, forcing him to roll it up again—and, we would surmise, to endlessly face disappointment along with physical pain and laboring.

So now you see the “absurdity” in Camus’ statement that “…we must believe Sisyphus to be happy.” Such a statement at first seems the wording of a mad-man, until one digs deeper into the philosophy of it and, perhaps, applies what he learns to his own life. In life we tend to be very distracted. If asked what the meaning of life is, you’ll find it varies from person to person—and that’s when the person can give an answer, which often they can’t. We have to many things that we love and “live” for. Family, friends, love, hope, money/material possessions, religion/God, power, etc.—all these compete to find a place in our list of priorities.

Imagine, however, what would happen when all the sticks fall, all the balls drop, all the bets are placed. It is said that in moments of intense pain people develop strengthened/renewed religions convictions. Why? Because pain reduces the human mind to only two things: pain and God. That’s all you can focus on, everything else swims out of view and becomes moot and pointless. Imagine eternal focus. That is one thing Sisyphus had going for him—his only goal in life was to push that stone up the hill. That’s all he lived for, that’s all he focused on. One goal—one that we know is impossible—to reach the summit and have the stone stay. We can imagine that every time the stone rolled down the hill, rather than being disappointed, Sisyphus knew that was just one more step towards the goal, that every time the stone reached the summit of the hill and rolled back down, he was a little bit closer to his ultimate goal. In this intense situation it is quite possible that Sisyphus indeed found meaning and purpose, that he forgot the gods’ curse that he’d never be able to have the stone stay at the summit of the hill. Rather, he must have thought that at some point it was bound to happen.

Sisyphus’ life was further defined and clarified by the lack of his concern over anything else. We worry about tomorrow, about our future, about what we will do with our lives. Sisyphus knew the point and meaning of his life. He knew very clearly that there was no getting around his fate, and he accepted it. It is, then, quite possible that we can follow the same pattern. Accept what comes to us and move on. Find a purpose to your life and follow it to its conclusion. Maybe for you, too, will Mr. Camus be right. Perhaps, when all the cards are played and all bets are down, we shall imagine you to be happy."