Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Milk Madness - Milk Post-Workout

Ok, before I start I want to say I have used milk post-workout for many years. I didn't do so because of a study, I simply drank it because I like moo juice and it was a quick and easy way to get some post-workout protein in.

Up until 2007 I never used protein powder. I was naive and thought they all still tasted like GNC tripe from 1986.

Anywho, on with the show...

Here's the debate:

Position A - "Study X" says that milk post-workout helps whey protein absorption, which of course, is interpreted by Average Joe as meaning...drink milk post-workout or die!

Position B - 95% of natural bodybuilders I have talked to don't drink milk post-workout, and have not suffered because of it. 90% of these guys are NOT genetic freaks. (Wanted to rule that out of the equation)

So we have a battle of "labcoat" vs. "anecdotal (real world)" evidence.

How do you process which side to put faith into?

I do NOT want to turn this thread into a debate over the value of milk. I like milk, milk tastes good. Moo!

What I want to know is that if 95% of the lifting community is getting good results without "Study X", do you change your post-workout approach?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-21-2010 at 10:37 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Real world > Laboratory

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

This should be an intersesting discussion, I look forward to hearing the responses. I have always drank milk post workout, even with my protein powders. I was using muscle milk, EAS meal replacements and a few other gainers with no success. Thats a whole other story. But then I came across a few natural lifters, and started drinking just plain old boring chocolate milk. I like milk and just haven't been convinced yet to go all natural as far as staying away from milk as my favorite writed suggests. HAHAHA MOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 12-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

What works for me > any lab test
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My personal opinion is that one of the problems with the industry in general is that there is a disconnect between successful athletes and research.

I believe that all science in our niche "can" hint at truth, or reveal a portion of the truth, but that the impact of most of these studies is overblown.

Maybe milk does improve whey protein absorption. Great. But there are 72,000 other variables involved in the equation which might overpower/trump/minimize the need for milk post-workout.

For example - beginner gains... I pretty much feel a hard-training beginner could eat chicken lips and dog food and still make great gains as long as they were eating enough protein and daily calories.

I see no harm in taking milk post-workout. But this is a non-scientific opinion.

I have made muscle and strength gains with and without milk post-workout. I just don't think studies like this tip the scales.

We are desperately seeking a magic equation, but I think the equation is simple...lift hard and smart, eat hard and smart, and don't miss many workouts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-21-2010 at 11:23 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

A couple thoughts I have, not that they really mean anything, but here goes.

1. Our body can not tell the difference between milk, powder, chicken or beef proteins, it just processes proteins. What I mean by this is, you, usually, won't start vomiting if you use a powder because your body was looking forward to milk, beef, chicken, fish, etc... They most often taste better and are more satiating, but your stomach doesn't have some sort of internal whole foods detector that automatically rejects any thing that is not a whole food. That said, I am not sure I buy the, "The liquid form of whey is better than the dried and re-liquefied form of whey" argument.
2. I love milk but if you are frugal, you can often get more bang for your buck with a powder. At my house, I can go through a 1/2 gal to gal a day when I am really drinking milk, that comes to about $90/month or more compared to $30 - $50 for 5lbs of powder. Advantage to powders is that they travel better also.

3. When I drink milk it is more for the test boosting fats then the protein, though those are nice too.

I love milk, it is a drink of choice, but the cost is the primary limiter in my life.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 12-21-2010 at 12:58 PM.
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

My position on the matter is that you do what needs to be done. I made great strength and size gains from doing both approaches. I love milk, but nowadays for my post-workout meal I will do a whey protein or just a whole food meal. I found that I just didn't like the feeling of heaviness of consuming milk and protein powder together.

When it comes to studies I take all information in. There are many research out there that tends to contradict each other which in turn confuses the hell out of the masses. Another thing that needs to be taken account of is where the lab studies are coming from. YOu will be amazed how many companies pay universities to do research projects on their behalf. Trust me it's a known fact.

I don't look too much into what kind of absorption, or ratio of this protein to that protein, or comparisons between milk and powders and whole foods. Post-workout I take in whatever needs to be taken. Yes, I do believe that these are important things to think about, BUT as long as you get the right nutrients after a workout I believe you will still gain results.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Im with dmaipa on this one. i think as long as you get your protein in (whey, whey blend, milk etc) then its fine.

I take a blend with water (and dextrose), its just more convienient AND I think i would hurl slugging down all that milk after sopme heavy squatting

I can see the reasoning with using milk as the carbs in it will get the protein ingeted more economically, but the carbs in milk are lactose ("milk sugar") so its glycemic rating is moderate. It is also a disaccharide constituting of one molecule of galactose and one of glucose. So it is half galactose. Galactose can be used by the body to restore liver glycogen but not muscle glycogen. I think its Ok, but milk shouldnt be the primary source of carbs post workout IMO dextrose water and whey would be a much better combination then whey and water, or milk alone, just my 2p worth

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

I can't drink normal milk, and can't use whey without serious issues. I use Soy PI.

It took me a while before I learned that, to maximise my SPI (which is not nearly as bio-available as whey) PWO I needed to either
1 drink it with milk (originally not an option) OR
2 throw approx 15-20 grams of egg white and 70 grams of dextrose in the blender with it.

So, I did the latter. And did it yield better results than I'd been having with water alone? HELL YES!

I've more recently discovered that I can use A2 milk - which has one of the two types of casein removed from it - with more or less no problems... I just need to eat the right foods and take a good multi. Easy enough.

So, I started using A2 and SPI PWO (loving the acronyms, btw) and did this yield great results too? HELL YES! And no mucking around with additional ingredients.

I can't show you pics of these results; I don't have that kind of physique, before OR after. But you can take my word for it that protein powder with milk PWO is more beneficial than without;

I have experienced a notable increase in sex drive on days I use only milk in my shakes (and thanks to Bamazav for reinforcing this in his post!), I've made more significant gains and even my DOMS have reduced on the days following.

I consider A2 milk in my shake to be more beneficial overall than water, egg white and dextrose: not as calorie-dense, easier to drink (70 grams of dex is sickly sweet and far from beneficial if you're watching your weight!) and more filling.

MILK = WIN. IMHO.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 01-02-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I don't drink milk or use a PWO shake or supplement, so can't really say; but studies are always bias in relation to what the person doing the research wants to prove...so, I'd always go for real life over studies any day of the week.

Potatoes were said to be fattening and I bet there's a study somewhere that proves that point; but it's utter rubbish anyway.