Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Resources (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Point me in a direction (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9341)

MikeM 03-14-2012 11:52 PM

Point me in a direction

I'm strong (ish) I work hard (ish), what are the keys to the kingdom? This wightlifting shit is hard. Point me in the right direction. I want to:
A Start on my football team,
B go for powerlifting records
C clean double body weight
D be "fit" for my kids graduation
E show my kids fitness isn't necessarily running a 10K
F show my kids fitness isn't necessarily picking up a stone over a bar
G show my kids being strong is a lifestyle.

Easy to pick a program for a bigger bench. Pick one for a better life, hmmmm. that's harder.

BendtheBar 03-27-2012 08:10 PM

You have 2 major goals:

Fitness and strength. Without these everything else crumbles. Focus on these goals, start simple and go after them.

JacktheThriller 03-27-2012 08:17 PM

Get a workout partner who knows what they are doing ei can lift heavy weight and pick their brains during every workout

Fazc 03-28-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 227913)
You have 2 major goals:

Fitness and strength. Without these everything else crumbles. Focus on these goals, start simple and go after them.

Yes, consider your priorities in terms of being a bottleneck. Tighten your focus by hacking away at the extraneous items and you'll usually find as a result of that tight focus you make progress and these newly trained abilities transfer over.

As already pointed out you want to be strong and fit, these two are your goals. Break them down into further bottlenecks and bare essentials.

Strength - Power lifting and power cleans are your goal. By saying this you are saying you want strength to be displayed in a specific way, as a maximum single rep for the Squat, bench, dead and clean, correct? If so then do that. Hell, you could Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Clean, Press every training day of the week for singles. Do that for 2 weeks then take a week light. There is your specific training.

Fitness - You want to be fit, ok let's start rowing then, or jogging. Do something, do it consistently, do it HARD and make some progress. It will transfer.

-

These are just examples off the top of my head so don't get too hung up on what i'm actually recommending. The key points are that you (everyone!) needs to get more specific about their goals. Hack away at the un-essentials and work on the bare bones of what you want to improve.

For example, my goals:

300kg Squat
200kg Bench
300kg Squat

90kg Bodyweight

Nothing else matters to me. Nothing. However a general good level of fitness will come from my lifting, my health will do well remaining at a lower bodyweight. I will be stronger in pretty much anything I touch as I begin to reach those numbers.

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often.

glwanabe 03-28-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 224632)
Easy to pick a program for a bigger bench. Pick one for a better life.

Step 1.

Turn the TV off and go outside.

MikeM 03-28-2012 10:38 PM

Great replies! Interesting. I posted this as I noticed the roundtable was a bit stagnant lately, so I figured I'd post a hypothetical like BtB has done for the other threads. (I don't have any interest in football, well not American football anyway!:)

However, looking back, I realize now this was a bit freudian. I am going through a tough time right now in my home life and lifting was my escape recently, but now it is getting in the way and I'm needed more at home than I have been for a while, so I need to cut back to 3 times a week at most in the gym, but then will I reach my goals? Sure, but how long will it take? Then again, what's my hurry? etc. etc.

I really do like the idea of a narrower focus and let the chips fall where they may, but I'm not sure if I really will commit to that.

Now, that said, I still thought this thread would be more of a general how do I balance my lifting goals with the rest of my life goals, and while it has answered that for me, perhaps there is more to discuss in terms of people in general.

I believe gl has the right idea! Curse that addictive cathode tube life support system in every "living" room in America! :)