Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #21
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

My biceps aren't that pronounced but they're still growing (quite well) from just the basic compound movements. However I do agree with Ramrod, if peaks are your main concern hit them harder! Just remember it's somewhat a waste of energy if being badass on the big lifts is your goal. It will sap a bit of unnecessary energy. But at the same time, for preventative measures, a little attention is probably imperative once a decent level of strength is achieved

Last edited by JBrown; 06-30-2013 at 09:12 PM.
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
It's worked ok for me...

It certainly did work for you. That is one fantastic arm. Monster!

Thanks for posting that routine. I can't really do tricep work because my elbow is knackered, but I'm still curious: how often would you do that arm workout? That's more sets than I do in a month! Also, do you tack the arm work on at the end of your lifting, or do you have an 'arms' day.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
I know this is an older thread, but never saw anyone stat this.. I believe Biceps and Triceps need to on the same workout and super setted. If your wanting Size.

Something like this works very well.

Warm ups
Alt. DB Curls Super Setted with Rope Pressdows 3x15

Core Sets Rest /Pause DC Style but with 4 sets and total around 20reps
Preacher Curls Super Setted with Skull Crushers

Then I like to do FST-7 sets with.. (7x12)

Double Biceps Cable Curls Super Setted with a tricep Machine

Then on to Forearms

It's worked ok for me...

Holy crap!

I'm off to curl some more.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

I wouldnt know

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
It certainly did work for you. That is one fantastic arm. Monster!

Thanks for posting that routine. I can't really do tricep work because my elbow is knackered, but I'm still curious: how often would you do that arm workout? That's more sets than I do in a month! Also, do you tack the arm work on at the end of your lifting, or do you have an 'arms' day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Holy crap!

I'm off to curl some more.
Once a Week on my Bodybuilding Day. I go lighter weight on my Triceps, b/c the day before they get it hard doing Bench Days. So I just do enough tricep work that day to get a decent pump/blood flow. I kill my Biceps and forearms thou. I still have my Normal bench, squat and deadlift days every week. I think Biceps tend to be over looked in PL to much. The Becips help with Bench on the way down and the Pause. Better control overall. Also they do help with your Grip some. I read an E-Mail from Crain once that the calves envolment in Squats and Deads is 7%. but you rarely see PL routines with Calf exercises. I'd bet on bench the Biceps is about the same. If you can use less energy on the way down. It gives you more energy on the way up... If I can raise my squat and bench by 7%.. I'm going to train those muscles too.

Brandon Lily has been saying this a lot the last year or so. On your Big 3. Train like a Powerlifting, but on your accessories... train like a bodybuilder.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #26
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Nobody can argue with results like yours RR - truly impressive works of art you have there. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and routine. I agree, every little thing helps when you want to be your best.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1310 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
I NEVER do curls!!

Rows only
I did a lot of Rows too... Favorites T-Bar and Low Cable Pulls

Me about 2 months into PL... I've lost a little size since these pic's, but with the Cube Method.. I'm getting some back. I've only been PL'ing for 10months.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #28
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

A lot of powerlifting routines do not include any direct biceps work. I don't do any biceps work, I trust the routine I follow. I know my biceps will grow using compound lifts. So no need to think much about biceps.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #29
BravenFenix
The Big Boss
Max Brawn
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjon View Post
I like incline curls
Can't go wrong with these. Strict incline curls at the end of a workout is 1-2x week is great.

Lifts: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...304#post443304
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #30
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
... I think Biceps tend to be over looked in PL to much. The Becips help with Bench on the way down and the Pause. Better control overall. Also they do help with your Grip some. I read an E-Mail from Crain once that the calves envolment in Squats and Deads is 7%. but you rarely see PL routines with Calf exercises. I'd bet on bench the Biceps is about the same. If you can use less energy on the way down. It gives you more energy on the way up... If I can raise my squat and bench by 7%.. I'm going to train those muscles too.

Brandon Lily has been saying this a lot the last year or so. On your Big 3. Train like a Powerlifting, but on your accessories... train like a bodybuilder.
Not to mention that most big benchers tend to have HUGE arms.

My arms are sticks. They didn't grow proportionally with the rest of my upper body when only training the compound movements. My back/traps/chest got plenty bigger training rows/chins/bench, but my arms are small as hell. Focusing on some isolation after main work the last couple weeks and there is already a difference.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote