Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Resources (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   I Just want to look good. How do I train and eat? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9034)

BendtheBar 02-18-2012 02:01 PM

I Just want to look good. How do I train and eat?

I have no desire to be a bodybuilder or powerlifter. I just want to add maybe 10 pounds of muscle, lose 20-50 pounds of fat, add a bit of strength, and look good without my shirt on, or in a bikini.

--How should I train and eat?
--How much, if any cardio is needed?
--Can I build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Help!

MikeM 02-19-2012 12:39 AM

OK, this was me 2 years ago. I was a big fat slob 5'8" 225 lbs, worse I was 45 years old.

So, I cut calories to 2000 like a maniac, and did 45 min cardio, 45 min weights (high rep, 3x8 or 2x 15 everything supersetted) 5 days a week. That got me under control, and I was reasonably fit after 18-20 months, I could look at myself in the mirror without horror.

But I wasn't appreciably stronger, and while I was decently fit (I could fit into my college jeans), I wasn't really fit like a crossfitter either. Soccer games with my kids were still bit strenuous for example.

And I hadn't curbed my hunger at all. I'd cardio more so I could binge from time to time.

So, to answer the question. If I was going back and doing it all over again in order to gain more muscle and lose fat along with getting a bit stronger and looking good without a shirt. I'd eat a more disciplined diet basically 30-30-40 Protein-fats-carbs, with the carbs coming from fruits and veg, and I'd work out with weights 3 times a week with the big movements, Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and OHP. A couple times a week, I'd do something very active like basketball, or some other cardio or something like that.

I believe if you follow that you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

I'm interested to see what other people think as I think everyone is different and there are lots of ways to skin a cat.

Chillen 02-19-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 217789)

I have no desire to be a bodybuilder or powerlifter. I just want to add maybe 10 pounds of muscle, lose 20-50 pounds of fat, add a bit of strength, and look good without my shirt on, or in a bikini.

--How should I train and eat?
--How much, if any cardio is needed?
--Can I build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Help!

The answer to the above is: It depends.

Each person has to be given their own individual context and this begins with the personal interview (whether by e-mail, in-person, or by telephone) to learn lifestyle (work, etc), personal particulars (such as: medications, health or physical issues, age, sex, weight, etc), exercise equipment (at home, gym, or have to use body weight), recent history, and other important information that point to and address successful completion.

Best regards,

Chillen

bamazav 02-21-2012 08:24 AM

My go to concept is "start with the basics"

Spend a few weeks working out your nutrition. "A few weeks?" you say. YES. The calculators and formulas used to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate = how many calories you need just to live and breath) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure or something like that) are a great place to start, but are only an estimate. Spend a few weeks finding out what your true maintenance level is and then you can begin your cut or bulk by adding or subtracting calories from that number. This will involve tracking amounts, calories and macros. Keep in mind that this number also changes with your body. As you lose, it goes down, when you gain it goes up. So, you will periodically have to adjust all of your numbers.

Training wise. If you are just starting, begin with a fullbody routine built around compound exercise. Check out the routine section on this website to find some great option.

What about cardio? It helps, more if cutting. Be reasonable however, I see too many people going crazy and doing the Biggest Loser sort of thing and hitting the gym for hours at a time. Give your body some time to rest and do something productive with your life. Get off the riding mower and use a push mower. Yardio is great in two ways, helps the body and helps the family. Get out and play with the kids. They will love you for it, especially as they see you being able to do more and more with them. My favorite is Parkio... no longer follow CPPP (closest possible parking place), park as far out as possible from the store and walk as fast as possible into and out of the store. Guys, you want to cut down on those trips to the mall? Insist on the family practicing parkio.:D

Just a few thoughts. Nuff said.

Off Road 02-21-2012 10:50 AM

#1. Get your eating habits sorted out. Cleaning up your diet by removing all the empty calories (sodas and chips and such) would be a first good step. Many will start to reduce fat just by doing this.

#2. Conditioning is important. Get yourself more physically active, get outside and move around. I don't mean that you have to start running marathons, simply walking and house/yard work will be a good start. A conditioned body is a healthier body, and it will allow you to use food better and recover faster.

#3. Start a simple barbell workout. There is no better way to add muscle than with a progressive barbell workout. It doesn't have to be fancy or full of big name endorcements to be effective. There are many good recomendations here on MAB, just pick something that appeals to you and stick with it.

thexman 03-23-2013 05:51 PM

Two words: Vince Gironda

I've always looked good thanks to this guy's stuff (not much in the size department though until recently).

- John

sleepingdog 03-24-2013 12:59 PM

If you're already getting the diet under control, and strength is not why you're lifting, take your usual weight, add a few sets to the main exercise of the day, and try to decrease your rest between sets. Challenge yourself to turn your weight session into an interval training session at the same time. Then make it a goal to reduce that already shorter rest by 5 seconds each week until your rest is slightly shorter than your reps.

Omer45615 11-01-2013 06:46 AM

Thanks for info.