Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
A note about the Round Table:
These questions are BIG. They will take a lot to answer them fully, and the time involved is keeping me (and others I'm sure) from getting fully involved. Rather than spending 10-15 minutes on each one, which is a large task, I am going to add tid-bits to each. Maybe if we all add a little something, then we will come up with a complete answer.
Sounds good to me.

They are meant to be ongoing as opposed to some forum questions which die out after a day or two.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Question:
I already do barbell curls, hammer curls, consentration curls, cable curls, and 21s; Is there anything else I can do to help my puny biceps?
Thumbs up. Will add in a bit.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Question:
I already do barbell curls, hammer curls, consentration curls, cable curls, and 21s; Is there anything else I can do to help my puny biceps?
HAHA. That is a great question.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
HAHA. That is a great question.
Questions like that are like giving me a machine gun and telling me to hunt bunnies.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Here's a question that I am particularly interested in...

Consistancy vs. Specialization

What are your opinions on the two training methods for lifetime goals?

#1. Use a well rounded routine and work for years to bring up all the lifts. You will realize all your goals at the end of the long journey.
#2. Work specifically on one or two lifts at a time until they reach their potential, then work on a couple of different lifts. You will have achieved many goals at different times.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Questions like that are like giving me a machine gun and telling me to hunt bunnies.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Like with most things in life, if you do not continue to practice what you have earned and learned, the ability to do it efficiently becomes more difficult and in some cases you lose what you have earned.

Some have no plan of action in what to do once they have earned there goal such as: simply losing a few pounds, and then go back to bad habits. They obtain a plan of action to get there, but have no plan of action to maintain what they worked so hard to earn.

We have to remember there is a reason why there are basketball camps prior to the season, and after a 3 month layoff post season. And, why pro boxers train in between a fight.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 02-21-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Here's a question that I am particularly interested in...

Consistancy vs. Specialization

#1. Use a well rounded routine and work for years to bring up all the lifts. You will realize all your goals at the end of the long journey.
#2. Work specifically on one or two lifts at a time until they reach their potential, then work on a couple of different lifts. You will have achieved many goals at different times.
Thanks. Will post.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!
Default My take on the questions so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I have no desire to be a competitive bodybuilder or powerlifter, I just want to build the strongest best looking body I can. What are steps I should take toward body recomposition?
Puny to Powerful are all on the same continuum. The techniques and methods for safe, effective lifting are universal. How far you go on the continuum is up to you. It's like any skill. Take driving a car...some people can barely get a compact car in a parking space without reversing six times while others can do an e-brake slide and spin into a parking space like James F-ing Bond. The car is the same...the difference is the driver.

Quote:
"I am 5'x and about 75 lbs overweight. The doctor says I have to lose weight or start taking xyz medications. How can I lose weight and get stronger in the least amount of time?"
Medications are a personal choice depending on your health risk level, but should be skipped or minimal if possible. Keep in mind your body needs time to get used to exercise. Also, building a habit initially is much more important then being an expert. Start basic, move deliberately, be consistent, make changes over time, keep seeking knowledge and you'll pick up momentum before you know it. Anyone can safely lose 75 lbs in 6-12 months if they are committed.

Quote:
"I was in the gym doing squats and some guy said I was doing them all wrong. He said I was going too deep and bending my back. What can I do to develop proper squat form?"
This person needs to be referred to someone who can properly assess squat form and then coach/cue effectively. That said, there is a lot of good info out there such as SQUAT RX on youtube, books by Stuart McGill, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
the addition of belts/bands/wraps etc
how to use them , when to use them , should you even use them!!
I see these items fitting in at the beginner stage or the expert stage. Like micro plates, they can either assist a newb while building base ability and confidence, or allow an experienced lifter to still make progress when approaching natural limits. For those of us somewhere in the middle, it's more likely to be deficiencies in rest/sleep, diet, consistency or good programming that should be addressed before adding "toys." That said, there is some value in variety and they can be used to aid in achieving specific goals.

Quote:
Question: I already do barbell curls, hammer curls, consentration curls, cable curls, and 21s; Is there anything else I can do to help my puny biceps?
Yes, eat more.

Quote:

Personally, I have always pursued the first and am generally pleased as I have always been able to tackle any task/lift and never had to explain why I could bench a lot but couldn't do a pull up, etc.

However, there have been times I recognized a weakness and should have given it more attention. Also, sometimes I see a "mirror muscle monkey" and think, "Damn, that guy's chest, arms, etc. are huge!" Later I might notice the lack of balance overall, but he's still the guy that all the ladies notice!

If you are a competitive lifter, you may have to specialize for a time.

Last edited by jdmalm123; 01-01-2013 at 08:51 PM.
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote