Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast
Default Training for Strongman without strongman implements?

So, I have decided to do my first strongman competition in July: http://www.nastrongman.com/pdf/2011/ltr.pdf, but I do not currently have access to any strongman implements and may not until after this contest. So, I was curious about thoughts on approximating events with standard barbells & dumbbells. My thought was to train something like this (at least until I can get access to some implements):
Tuesday - Push my Honda pilot, with my dad "driving" (might be able to build or buy a harness to pull with)
Thursday - Axle clean-and-press approximation using Fat Gripz (clean once, press for reps) 175-225 in case they consolidate novice & lightweight
Chain Yoke walk approximation using loaded barbell 450-500 lbs for 80, one turn (60 second limit)
Saturday - Zercher Deadlift to approximate atlas stones, shooting for 295
TBD approximation for trailer deadlift shooting for 525 (might move this to Tuesday & use a wheelbarrow to approximate the trailer)

Any suggestions are welcome, and please recommend any other implement "approximations" you may know of for other strongman events in case other members are interested in them.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bump. This was moderated and I just saw it. Don't want it to get buried.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Strong hessian sacks filled with sand or gravel; in internal bags, if using sand with it being so fine.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I had a yoke built at a local welder's shop and made weights from 5 gallon buckets, quikcrete, and 1" PVC
Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think the only problem will be that you have to bear in mind Strongman isn't just about strength. Strength endurance and the ability to run/jog very fast under weight is very important. Running around with weight is a far-cry from being statically strong or even from just walking/dragging weight along and that needs to be catered for in training and you need some conditioning to be able to do so safely.

Strongman is a lot more than just static strength which you'd find in a PL or OL competition.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

This is a video of JC, one of the 105kg BSM competitors. Look at the SPEED on that, with a 660lbs yoke. Absolutely immense:

Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I think the only problem will be that you have to bear in mind Strongman isn't just about strength. Strength endurance and the ability to run/jog very fast under weight is very important. Running around with weight is a far-cry from being statically strong or even from just walking/dragging weight along and that needs to be catered for in training and you need some conditioning to be able to do so safely.

Strongman is a lot more than just static strength which you'd find in a PL or OL competition.
That is very true. Picking a 700 pound yoke is easy. Moving with just 500 pounds is a nightmare. Speed is big, and so it safety/technique. If the yoke begins to swing, there's a whole new level of difficulty in just staying alive, much less moving it forward.

Speed is a large part of what put me down to 4th in the competition i did last year. I'm a slow lumbering beast. My strength was lacking too, but some of the competitors were unbelievably fast. Resilient little buggers too. I still hadn't recovered from the yoke and it was time to do the Conan's wheel. I have GOT to get my conditioning up this year.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
That is very true. Picking a 700 pound yoke is easy. Moving with just 500 pounds is a nightmare. Speed is big, and so it safety/technique. If the yoke begins to swing, there's a whole new level of difficulty in just staying alive, much less moving it forward.
Yeah, I'll say quite honestly no way I could do that stuff. No chance in hell.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I remember Max Misch deadlifting a weight, resting it on his knees from a squat position, maneuvering his arms underneath, and then "zerchering" the weight. I always wondered if I could do this myself. Might be worth a shot.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
So, I have decided to do my first strongman competition in July: http://www.nastrongman.com/pdf/2011/ltr.pdf, but I do not currently have access to any strongman implements and may not until after this contest. So, I was curious about thoughts on approximating events with standard barbells & dumbbells. My thought was to train something like this (at least until I can get access to some implements):
Tuesday - Push my Honda pilot, with my dad "driving" (might be able to build or buy a harness to pull with)
Thursday - Axle clean-and-press approximation using Fat Gripz (clean once, press for reps) 175-225 in case they consolidate novice & lightweight
Chain Yoke walk approximation using loaded barbell 450-500 lbs for 80, one turn (60 second limit)
Saturday - Zercher Deadlift to approximate atlas stones, shooting for 295
TBD approximation for trailer deadlift shooting for 525 (might move this to Tuesday & use a wheelbarrow to approximate the trailer)

Any suggestions are welcome, and please recommend any other implement "approximations" you may know of for other strongman events in case other members are interested in them.

just move to CT and train at poundstone performance?
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote