Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

What is your view on the old school periodization/peaking programs that would last 12-20 weeks?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #22
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

Fazc, I've noticed everyone seems to be using the ram or the sling shot and wrist wraps. I am wondering if it is something I should perhaps consider. I would be interested in your thoughts on wraps for woman?
Thank-you

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Sometimes I get that not-so-fresh feeling, what can I do?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What is your view on the old school periodization/peaking programs that would last 12-20 weeks?
The key thing to remember about these programs is that they're a reflection of what great lifters did. They're not a 100% accurate, fool-proof program which declares what will happen. A lot of people don't get that.

To reach a peak, in a linear fashion, the idea is to work through from high reps and volume to lower reps and volume. This is markedly different from a conjugate approach where the peak strength is trained constantly. So to successfully reach a peak in a linear fashion it just makes sense to start a few months out, build a big base and them move forward to peak.

That idea seems to have gone out of the window with 160lbs weaklings on forums everywhere declaring "linear is dead" and other such nonsense or "high reps don't build strength". Well if that's true stop reading this, go jog off to email Coan and let him know he's full of shit.

It's obviously nonsense.

High reps, high volume build a bigger base and the bigger your base the higher your eventual peak. That's basic linear peaking and it works. I think this is where some of the confusion about power and bodybuilder training has come in recent years. With the popularisation of conjugate training where it's "singles for strength" and "higher reps for hypertrophy" people think that's a done deal, when it isn't. You need both to do both. BB'ers need lower reps just as much as PL'ers need higher ones. They go together, always have and always will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WILL View Post
Fazc, I've noticed everyone seems to be using the ram or the sling shot and wrist wraps. I am wondering if it is something I should perhaps consider. I would be interested in your thoughts on wraps for woman?
Thank-you
Wrist wraps are good, they can save your wrists. I don't see a reason why you wouldn't wear wrist wraps if they gave you extra stability. Sling on the other hand is a tool, it can be good in some circumstances. I used to get shoulder/chest issues which the Slingshot solved, at the time I thought it was magic. Now? I've just grown a chest.

That's solved the problem as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Sometimes I get that not-so-fresh feeling, what can I do?
Wash your vagina.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

How do I become as sexy as you?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #26
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
How do I become as sexy as you?
Impossible.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Have you mounted your Rooster yet? If so did you win, or did it mount you and make you tap?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
Fazc
Max Brawn

I didn't teabag it, as per YOUR suggestion!

I have held it's face down, and quietly insulted the colour of it's feathers.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #29
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Racist! However at least your not a sex offender. So not all bad
Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #30
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

Hi Fazc. I've asked a few people about my program already but I wanted to know your opinion. First of all, I'm a beginner (about 6 months consecutive regular training) although I've lifted seriously for strength in the past as I was a competitive athlete in high school and college (wrestling) and post-university in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I'm 33, 104.5kg and 5'9". It seems that I may also have a solid foundation. To address your criteria:

1) A good level of form on all of the main lifts, you need to be able to do these intensively without hurting yourself. Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Chins and Rows.

A: So far so good. I've had some soreness here and there but by paying attention to my form, I've been able to alleviate and continue to alleviate major issues.

2) A good degree of strength on the above. Something like 100 for sets of 10 on the Squat and Deadlift and 80kg for sets of 10 on the Bench Press.

A: I can definitely hit these numbers now, but I'm not sure if I could do that much more. I'm right on the border.

3) A good handle on diet, no excessively unnecessary bodyfat and/or losing weight to normalise bodyweight.

A: I'm a bit on the stocky side but I don't think my body fat is excessive.

4) A good handle on rest and recuperation.

A: I try to get 8hrs of sleep at night and I usually succeed. I don't work a physical job so this helps too. I only lift 3 days a week.

I'm attaching an overview of my program. Please let me know what you think about it. Just as a side note, I switched the DB Rows and DLs with each other from the original program. I'm currently on week 6 (after skipping week 5). Any other questions feel free to ask me. I'll be paying attention. Thanks for your time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5x5.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	13269  

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ

Facebook link
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote