Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emekajokammor View Post
Interesting topic Bam.

I, myself, could not do this without strong faith in God. By nature, to the outside eye, bbing is a self indulging sport but it takes a team to help that person get on stage. That team for me consist of God, my wife, my pastor, my coach, and my training partners. I don't understand how some people do this without believing. Every time I get under a bar with 495lbs on it and attempt to lift it above my chest, I am saying to myself "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" or before I put 600+lbs on my back and attempt to squat to the floor and up as many times as I can i'm saying to myself "For with God nothing shall be impossible"

I understand that some people let bbing consume them and faith becomes that "other" talk but at some point they will have to realize bbing has a time limit, lol. As a Christian, I know to put God first in all things and that is why bbing takes a back seat to my faith. BBing is a part of my life but my faith is my life.

During my prep, i'm usually very emerged into my faith. Prayer and meditation upon waking, worship before and during cardio, prayer on my way to work, etc. I am this way because physically, mentally, and emotionally I have to give myself to Him to keep me. Contest Prep takes its toll and the only way that I know to keep me smiling and having a good time all the way through my prep is to lean on my faith.

My wife and I attend church as much as possible, lol. 3 times a week. We are known as the fitness couple in the church. My pastor often uses us to demonstrate certain talking points and illustrate parts of the Word. Our walk in fitness is something that we use in the church to help other Christians see that we must be fully mindful of our bodies. Jesus didn't travel all over the world by plane, train, or bus. He had to be in shape to walk from city to city and preach the gospel! lol.

BBing is a tool that I was given. Most of my workout partners are not saved and I working on them. I get them to come to church with me, I testify to them, I let them know what the Word says, I encourage them to pray and talk to God. These are guys that I would not have known if it wasn't for bbing. I'm probably the only person that talks to them about God but one day He will touch them and they will be changed for life.

So how do I manage bbing and my faith. I manage bbing with my faith.
That's what I am talking about. You have now moved up to just behind the Blond Bomber on my list of all time favorite body builders. That is #3, Jesus (Phil 4:13), Draper, you. Impressive!

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
daysofdarkness
New Brawn
Points: 1,195, Level: 18 Points: 1,195, Level: 18 Points: 1,195, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3 months
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: pendlay row
Fav Supp: What do you got?
daysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good posts

Quote:
7. Cardio'ed out - I was doing like an hour of high intensity cardio. Stairs, sprinting, etc. Pretty sure I burned up a lot of muscle.
What kind of cardio are you doing now? And what would you suggest for a beginner?
daysofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
mrdjmo
Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Creatine
mrdjmo is off to a good startmrdjmo is off to a good startmrdjmo is off to a good start

Do you find it hard staying focused?

Also any tips cuting I'm starting a cut in July.

thanks

Dan
mrdjmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Tomsen
New Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12

Training Exp: 1/2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: cheeeeese!
Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts
Default Long periods of low bodyfat percentage!

Dear Emeka!

For how long have you stayed at under 5% bodyfat for the longest yet? And did you mention any physical or psychological differences in that period of time?

I really want to know how pro bodybuilders come along with that physical and psychological pressure.

AND: If you do cardio (i for now assume you do), what type of cardio do you do and what are the reasons for you to do cardio instead of just eating less or doing higher volume workouts for calorie burn?

BR from Austria

Last edited by Tomsen; 05-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Tomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
That's what I am talking about. You have now moved up to just behind the Blond Bomber on my list of all time favorite body builders. That is #3, Jesus (Phil 4:13), Draper, you. Impressive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
ROTFL!! I am highly highly honored and humored by you guys! I'm happy to be on your list of top bber's Bam! We are both brothers in the Faith and Iron

And I was rotfl when Steve started talking about shipping. "I'll ship it to the moon because I've read some of your questions!" lmbo!!

Thanks guys! It's very hard to gain support in the sport. I appreciate your support and kind words dearly!

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
Isak
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1

Isak is off to a bad start

What is your favorite way to approach progressive overload? Do you prefer to add reps or sets before increasing the weight?
Isak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

And I was rotfl when Steve started talking about shipping. "I'll ship it to the moon because I've read some of your questions!" lmbo!!
Haha

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Weaponx25
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn
Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Food
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts

Have you ever tried intermittent fasting before competitions?
Weaponx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
j13027
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

j13027 is off to a bad start

what is a good rate to be progressing for the average person?
j13027 is offline   Reply With Quote