Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #641
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorship View Post
This sounds silly - but everytime i try and use straps.. i spend so much time trying to wrap them, i stand up and get light headed and need to stop the operation. LOL.
Not silly at all. I hate them. (Understatement). That is why I use Versa Gripps. They are easy to wrap and far more durable.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #642
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post
On squat do you initiate the movement at the knees or the hips first, or both at the same time?
Most sources tell you the hips. A lot of us don't squat like that. I am a knee breaker. My best advice is to don't think about it, and keep it natural.

You'd be surprised at home many knee breakers there are that squat huge numbers.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #643
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
How to break an overhead press plateau? More sets, more reps, more food?
What was your OHP 3 months ago, what was it a month ago, and where is it now?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #644
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Hello dude could you help me out with advice on a problem I am battling with i.e. left elbow tendonitis for a few months which is affecting my deadlift and very frustrating. Even had this . What can help. thanks so much.
Be glad to help, but I will need to know as much about your workouts as possible. Exercises, sets and reps, etc.

Usually tendinitis comes from some combination of volume and lack of training balance. Fixing this is important in the long run.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #645
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What was your OHP 3 months ago, what was it a month ago, and where is it now?
132 lbs x8 3 months ago and now it's at 150lbs x2. I don't really work on it that much but I'm doing it instead of incline bench on the 5x3 program.I stopped OHP for about a month during this time frame and did dumbbell bench instead.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #646
Ainter89
New Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

This could be a silly question but is it normal for lower back muscles to be sore the day after deadlifting or was I just using my lower back too much
Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #647
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

on sale at bb.com...of course!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #648
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
132 lbs x8 3 months ago and now it's at 150lbs x2. I don't really work on it that much but I'm doing it instead of incline bench on the 5x3 program.I stopped OHP for about a month during this time frame and did dumbbell bench instead.
Sounds like it's in a reasonable place to me. Once you start approaching 200 for reps it's pretty darn strong. To be honest, from here on out I would simply work it once a week in a rep range you prefer, aiming to add one rep 2-3 workouts each month.

This is good intermediate progress and should have you over 200 for reps within a year. Back it with a tricep press and tricep extension exercise and you should be good to go.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #649
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post
This could be a silly question but is it normal for lower back muscles to be sore the day after deadlifting or was I just using my lower back too much
No, that's normal. Especially if the Bearded Beast of Duloc hasn't critiqued your form on video!

Seriously though, very normal. Take a video of your deadlifts if you can.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 AM   #650
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sounds like it's in a reasonable place to me. Once you start approaching 200 for reps it's pretty darn strong. To be honest, from here on out I would simply work it once a week in a rep range you prefer, aiming to add one rep 2-3 workouts each month.

This is good intermediate progress and should have you over 200 for reps within a year. Back it with a tricep press and tricep extension exercise and you should be good to go.
Cool, thanks. Do you think Smolov Jr can be done for OHP? I may give it a shot after the bench cycle.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote