Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #591
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
If you're on a lot of juice, can you avoid progressive overload?
No. These guys are all fairly strong.

There are certainly tricks and techniques that can up the intensity, so to speak, like rest pause and drop sets.

Most of the guys that slide into pump programs built the majority of their size before doing so. This is not to say they haven't found a way to stimulate new growth now, but it's complicated these days. There are so many chemicals involved.

You can't go into the gym and avoid strength no matter how much you pump.

Once you've built a big strength base, it's much easier to maintain muscle, but it becomes much more difficult to build strength. So I can see why these guys start trying different things to eek out pounds and ounces.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #592
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjames View Post
I have been doing a fullbody workout three times a week for awhile now. I have seen great strength gains and minor muscles gains.!
Congrats on the great progress.

Quote:
My question to you is what do I do?
Programs aren't as important as progression and consistency. As long as the major lifts are in the mix, I would try it and give it a fair analysis.

Quote:
Will a split still make me happy in the end? Will it still be worth it in the end?
If you think it will make the process more enjoyable for you, then do it. I know plenty of lifters that make gains on splits.

Full body workouts are hard. They take time getting used to. People often approach them with too much volume, like the program you were using.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #593
juanjames
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

juanjames is off to a bad start

Quote:
People often approach them with too much volume, like the program you were using.
I got my numbers based on the Muscle and Strength expert guide to building muscles. I think it said if your hitting your major muscles 3 times a week to hit them with 3-5 sets per workout. Would you mind giving me a example of a better fullbody workout and the volume needed?
juanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #594
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Oh that makes sense. Also what exactly are the "Weider Principles" and are they relevant today?
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #595
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor
Default Single set to failure or multiple sets for isolations?

Hello BBOD,

I'm a 25 year old male, and I started weight training about 6 months ago. I work with an older man in his late 50's who used to be a bodybuilding/fitness coach back in the late 80's early 90's. I told him I wanted to start working out but I'm not out to become a bodybuilder. I've always been heavy-set & big boned so, I said "I just want to get big and strong, and lose some belly fat". He told me that for isolation exercises, "there is no point in doing a lot of multiples, just do one set & push it to failure, but try to use a heavy enough weight that you're gonna hit failure somewhere in between 8 to 15 reps".

And that's what I've been doing. I'll use my biceps for example, I do 5 different exercises for my biceps each week and I alternate the days so I don't get bored. So far, I've gotten stronger & my arms have gotten bigger.

So i am seeing results. But the reason I'm asking is, I have so many people telling me I need to do multiple this and multiple that or if i don't do multiples I'm gonna have "wimpy" arms! But I am getting results and my arms are bigger than theirs!

So, I would like your opinion, are multiple sets necessary for isolation's or is a one set to failure good enough?
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #596
1rishgains
irish-gains
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1rishgains is off to a bad start

hello ima new
1rishgains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #597
Ainter89
New Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

hey was hoping to get some advice on my squat form got a couple videos with different angles here.

i think its pretty obvious i keep falling forward any advice on how i can stop this?

this last videos a little lighter so i think i have better form but let me know what i can work on.
thanks BBOD
Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #598
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjames View Post
I got my numbers based on the Muscle and Strength expert guide to building muscles. I think it said if your hitting your major muscles 3 times a week to hit them with 3-5 sets per workout. Would you mind giving me a example of a better fullbody workout and the volume needed?
It does take a few months to adapt to making the switch. Sorry if I failed to mention that point. It took me nearly 4 months to get used to the demands of full body.

This is my favorite fullbody. Things can be added to it over time as needed.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/wor...tml#post213676

Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #599
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Also what exactly are the "Weider Principles" and are they relevant today?
Some are and some aren't.

Back in the 70s Joe Weider controlled most of the muscle building media. He put together a set of muscle building principles that were meant to simplify the process and to fortify his name in the industry.

Some of them, such as Muscle Confusion, do more harm than good - especially to beginning lifters. Many of them are useful methods of explaining concepts such as drop sets.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #600
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rishgains View Post
hello ima new
Welcome to the forum. Let me know if I can help in any way.