Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #571
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvd1215 View Post
Bbod...I've been following bodypart split training for a year now while cutting..I went from 225lbs to now 190lbs.. now I'm wanting to bulk up and put on as much muscle as I can over the next 2-3 years and I also want to gain strength. I'm apprehensive about upper/lower as I'm used to hitting each bodypart with high volume...will I grow on an upper/lower only hitting upper body twice a week? What kind of routine do u recommend?..I'm hoping u can give me some advice on this matter...at the end of the day I just want to get big, strong, massive and muscular..thanks.
While upper/lowers do (theoretically) make protein synthesis more efficient, if you are more comfortable with splits, then I would use one.

Persistence and resistance are your best friends. I would be happy to take a look at your workout and make some suggestions.

Gains after the first couple years slow, so if you've made some quality gains already and built a base, there won't be much of a difference in results with either program.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #572
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Reposting this in case you haven't seen it:

Hello again, I've increased my squat in about 60lbs since 3 months ago, I'm still at 140lbs weight (probably a little higher, I've noticed my back and legs have grew a bit) squating 155lbs right now wich is a very good improvement for me because I was struggling to squat my own bodyweight. The problem is I'm feeling pain on my hips when I squat, to be more precise I'm feeling the pain as I go down and at the bottom of the squat, right now the pain is bearable (it heals itself the day after) but I'm afraid it could get worse as the weight gets heavier. Also, I'm feeling my abs working very hard at the bottom of the squat, I don't know if it has anything to do with my hip pain but I just wanted to mention it. So, how can I fix this? What should I do big hairy ugly dude?

Also, on a side note:

What were your favorite video games back when you were a kid, and what do you think about the video games today?
Sorry if I missed this.

When I was a kid we had Missile Command and Space Invaders. My favorite was probably Q-bert.

I still play games, although too many cause me motion sickness. I like Skyrim and Forza 4.

Squats...are you wide stance squatting? And do you have a video?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #573
OHDL
Max Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Hi BtB, Just wondering what your view is on conditioning whilst bulking? Also just watched your video where you devour 9000 cals which made me take a jar of PB to bed to munch on. At the moment im eating 3200 cals per day, do you think this is enough? I'm 6 ft and 180lbs. Thanks in advance

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by OHDL; 06-16-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Another question
OHDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #574
jcvd1215
New Brawn

jcvd1215 is off to a bad start
Default intermediate to advanced muscle building and strength workout

Hey bbod...the upper/lower workout that I was going to try out was the one u had suggested in one of ur videos..the intermediate to advanced muscle building a strength program....although I have been doing bodypart splits for a year while cutting...I have not added any significant muscle mass...as I had to rehab a rotator cuff for the past 4 months so I was unable to lift heavy and hard for any pressing moves.
Back when I was in high school about 8 yrs ago I was very serious into bulking up and pushing heavy weight and I had a squat of 315, benching 250...and for whatever reason I got out of the gym for years and now I'm wanting to get those numbers once again and exceed those numbers. I haven't done squats in almost 8 yrs and I've never done deadlifts so I'd be starting from scratch on those lifts...
jcvd1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #575
jcvd1215
New Brawn

jcvd1215 is off to a bad start

What do u think of this routine bbod to build muscle and strength trying to hit each bodypart twice a week except legs...
Monday: chest, shoulder, triceps emphasis on chest
Rotator cuff warm up 5 mins
Db incline-4 sets
Decline bench -4sets
Dips-3 sets for triceps
Cable crossover-3 sets
Front raises 3 sets light weight
Lateral raises-3 sets light weight
Tuesday: back (row day) 1 bicep exercise
Deadlifts-4 sets (never done this exercise so I'm goin to start light and gradually increase weight
Hammer strength row-4 sets
Seated row-4sets
Bicep exercise 4sets
Wednesday : off
Thursday : shoulder, chest, tricep
Db shoulder press -4 sets
Flat db chest press- 4 sets
Tricep pushdowns- 4sets
Super set lateral raises w/ lying tricep ext -4 sets
Rear delts-4 sets
Tricep one handed cable pushdowns-3 sets
Friday: back, trap, biceps
Pulldowns-4sets
Straight arm lat pulldowns-4sets
Bb shrugs-4sets
1 bicep exercise-4 sets
1bicep exercise superset with db forearm wrist curls- 4 sets
Saturday: legs abs
Squats -4-5 sets
Leg curls 4sets
Calf raises 4 sets
Ab work
Can u give me an honest opinion on this routine and any advice u might have...I'm trying to gain muscle and strength
jcvd1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #576
davez
Brawn

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sorry if I missed this.

When I was a kid we had Missile Command and Space Invaders. My favorite was probably Q-bert.

I still play games, although too many cause me motion sickness. I like Skyrim and Forza 4.

Squats...are you wide stance squatting? And do you have a video?
Not at all, I think I have a regular stance, I'm going to record myself anyway. I think a wider stance makes the pain even worse because I tryed it thinking I'll feel better that way but I ended up feeling even more pain x_x Right now I feel OK but like I said I'm afraid it'll come back and get worse over time as the weight goes up.

So yeah... I'm going to post a video tomorrow so you can check my form on squats.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #577
skids
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Quote:
Sorry for not responding sooner!
No sweat mate, I wasnt tired of waiting, it was only half a day or so, I just caught you on line so I just popped the question.

Cheers mate.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #578
mikehouse101
Brawn

Training Exp: 42
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Gaspari's Vasatropin
mikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Any time!
BTB,
I backed off the weights for 6 days and I hit it hard today. It did take nearly a week to feel like I was ready again. I had a great workout and did not lose any ground on any of my lifts! I have not taken that much time away from the weights in over a year. I am going to run Wendler's 531 on the 4 day set up and see what kind of gains I make. is it best to take a de load week when your body tells you its ready or on a regular schedule??? Thanks for your help Hairy Hercules!!!
Mike
mikehouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #579
Berd

Training Exp: 1 year and 6 months
Fav Exercise: Anything back related
Fav Supp: RED MEAT
Berd is off to a bad start
Default Controlled vs. speed

Hey Steve,

Is there any truth to there being a difference between doing explosive reps and controlled reps? I've always heard that controlled builds size while explosive builds strength.

Can I still build the same amount of mass while doing explosive reps instead of slow and controlled reps on all lifts? With progression and eating of course. Thanks brother
Berd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #580
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Bearded One, can you do a video about training for the pump? I was talking to a very experienced former bodybuilder who runs the best bodybuilding gym in the UK and I asked him the question :How do you know you've had a good workout? He replied that a good workout was the one where you got a maximum pump with minimum workload. I think you need to do a video to stop this broscience spreading. I always thought that only gear users train like this.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote