Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #561
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post
i would post a video but i gotta get a couple more post on here lol
Spam in the post farming thread.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...t-farming.html

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #562
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnsey08 View Post
No I dont get any other pain from other chest exercises
I would definitely lay off it for a few weeks.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #563
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
I started training the deadlift this year to make a foray into powerlifting. My best is 535lbs conventional which was a few weeks ago. This week, I was only able to pull 500 but I could feel that my technique was off. I came to the conclusion that I have gotten faster off the floor. Because I am able to break the bar off the ground faster, and I am pulling as fast as possible my hips are now shooting up before I can bring my chest up. So now, I have several questions. They may be silly, but I lack experience so here they are:

1. Does this line of thinking sound like anything you have experienced?
2. Could this mean that my speed is now too fast for my back strength?
3. Should I break the bar off the ground slower, then accelerate my pull?
4. Is it normal to take "two steps forward, one step backward" in powerlifting training?
5. Am I just over-thinking a bad day where I lost form and slipped too far over the bar?
6. General deadlifting advice for a guy who has been training for sports/military for 15 years, but only deadlifting 6 months...?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
Good deadlift. Focus on driving your head up, or standing up, while pulling the bar back towards the body. This will help with the shooting hips.

2) Not generally. It's related to other form/execution flaws. Most guys pull up instead of standing up. Pulling up tends to involve a more vertical bar bath, whereas standing up pulls the bar back towards the body. This is more natural, and will help keep the hips down.

3) No.

4) Yes. Consistency cures all. Bad days are part of the process.

5) Not overthinking. There are just form cues you have yet to learn.

6) Keep it as natural as possible. Think stand up, and lockout the reps by driving your hips forward and head back. These 2 cues are essentials.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #564
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehouse101 View Post
Thank you Big Hairy Awesome guy!
Any time!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #565
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good deadlift. Focus on driving your head up, or standing up, while pulling the bar back towards the body. This will help with the shooting hips.

2) Not generally. It's related to other form/execution flaws. Most guys pull up instead of standing up. Pulling up tends to involve a more vertical bar bath, whereas standing up pulls the bar back towards the body. This is more natural, and will help keep the hips down.

3) No.

4) Yes. Consistency cures all. Bad days are part of the process.

5) Not overthinking. There are just form cues you have yet to learn.

6) Keep it as natural as possible. Think stand up, and lockout the reps by driving your hips forward and head back. These 2 cues are essentials.
Thanks a lot, I can see more clearly now!
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #566
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Gidday BTB, hey you recommended to me to do this workout
Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

I'm keen as, but my gym doesnt have a leg press, can I swap this out for front squats, or narrow stance back squats, or something else that preferably has a barbell.

Thanks for answering this for me in the shout box BTB, and for anyone reading this Yes front squats are a fine substitute. Woop woop.

Cheers mate, Nath.

Last edited by skids; 06-15-2013 at 09:18 PM.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #567
jcvd1215
New Brawn
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

jcvd1215 is off to a bad start
Default want to start upper/lower or 3day full body...in need of advice.

Bbod...I've been following bodypart split training for a year now while cutting..I went from 225lbs to now 190lbs.. now I'm wanting to bulk up and put on as much muscle as I can over the next 2-3 years and I also want to gain strength. I'm apprehensive about upper/lower as I'm used to hitting each bodypart with high volume...will I grow on an upper/lower only hitting upper body twice a week? What kind of routine do u recommend?..I'm hoping u can give me some advice on this matter...at the end of the day I just want to get big, strong, massive and muscular..thanks.

Last edited by jcvd1215; 06-15-2013 at 12:06 PM.
jcvd1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #568
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Reposting this in case you haven't seen it:

Hello again, I've increased my squat in about 60lbs since 3 months ago, I'm still at 140lbs weight (probably a little higher, I've noticed my back and legs have grew a bit) squating 155lbs right now wich is a very good improvement for me because I was struggling to squat my own bodyweight. The problem is I'm feeling pain on my hips when I squat, to be more precise I'm feeling the pain as I go down and at the bottom of the squat, right now the pain is bearable (it heals itself the day after) but I'm afraid it could get worse as the weight gets heavier. Also, I'm feeling my abs working very hard at the bottom of the squat, I don't know if it has anything to do with my hip pain but I just wanted to mention it. So, how can I fix this? What should I do big hairy ugly dude?

Also, on a side note:

What were your favorite video games back when you were a kid, and what do you think about the video games today?
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #569
steveninthematrix
Brawn
Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

steveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvd1215 View Post
Bbod...I've been following bodypart split training for a year now while cutting..I went from 225lbs to now 190lbs.. now I'm wanting to bulk up and put on as much muscle as I can over the next 2-3 years and I also want to gain strength. I'm apprehensive about upper/lower as I'm used to hitting each bodypart with high volume...will I grow on an upper/lower only hitting upper body twice a week? What kind of routine do u recommend?..I'm hoping u can give me some advice on this matter...at the end of the day I just want to get big, strong, massive and muscular..thanks.

no one in the 40's and 50's (before dbol), used split training...

protein synthesis lasts 48 hours + - ... to cut weight, high volume frequent training is fine.... but to gain muscle, higher intensity lower volume is what I'd recommend..

as MM said, 'you can train hard, or long, but not both'

dont be apprehensive
steveninthematrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #570
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Gidday BTB, hey you recommended to me to do this workout
Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

I'm keen as, but my gym doesnt have a leg press, can I swap this out for front squats, or narrow stance back squats, or something else that preferably has a barbell.

Thanks for answering this for me in the shout box BTB, and for anyone reading this Yes front squats are a fine substitute. Woop woop.

Cheers mate, Nath.
Sorry for not responding sooner!