Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #551
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Thanks, big man. Do you think a deload is necessary after smolov Jr? I hate deloads too. I'm not doing a powerlifting meet, but I was wondering whether you deload after a meet.

Last edited by TobesLCFC; 06-12-2013 at 03:48 PM.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #552
Ainter89
New Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

what can i do to keep my body more upright on squats? as the weight gets heavier im having trouble holding the bar on my back and keeping my chest up.
Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #553
Ainter89
New Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

i would post a video but i gotta get a couple more post on here lol
Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #554
cairnsey08
Brawn
Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19

Training Exp: half a year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey protein
cairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good start

No I dont get any other pain from other chest exercises
cairnsey08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #555
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

I started training the deadlift this year to make a foray into powerlifting. My best is 535lbs conventional which was a few weeks ago. This week, I was only able to pull 500 but I could feel that my technique was off. I came to the conclusion that I have gotten faster off the floor. Because I am able to break the bar off the ground faster, and I am pulling as fast as possible my hips are now shooting up before I can bring my chest up. So now, I have several questions. They may be silly, but I lack experience so here they are:

1. Does this line of thinking sound like anything you have experienced?
2. Could this mean that my speed is now too fast for my back strength?
3. Should I break the bar off the ground slower, then accelerate my pull?
4. Is it normal to take "two steps forward, one step backward" in powerlifting training?
5. Am I just over-thinking a bad day where I lost form and slipped too far over the bar?
6. General deadlifting advice for a guy who has been training for sports/military for 15 years, but only deadlifting 6 months...?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Last edited by afraziaaaa; 06-14-2013 at 04:26 AM.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #556
mikehouse101
Brawn
Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19

Training Exp: 42
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Gaspari's Vasatropin
mikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I don't think how you are feeling is stretching related. I think you need to take a deload week and drop the weight by 40% to allow for some recovery.

I hate stretching. I did some back in the day.

I will say this...if you are feeling hammered, perhaps you are simply doing too much work each week.
Thank you Big Hairy Awesome guy!
mikehouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #557
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

hi bearded beast

I cant do power shrugs due to that I don't have a power rack to do them in so I am going to do the standard BB shrug, I know that they are not as effective as the power shrug but I feel I don't have any other option's.

would you recommend to use a rep goal for BB shrugs, and if you do what rep goal would you recommend and for how many sets.

thanks in advance bearded beast.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #558
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Hello again, I've increased my squat in about 60lbs since 3 months ago, I'm still at 140lbs weight (probably a little higher, I've noticed my back and legs have grew a bit) squating 155lbs right now wich is a very good improvement for me because I was struggling to squat my own bodyweight. The problem is I'm feeling pain on my hips when I squat, to be more precise I'm feeling the pain as I go down and at the bottom of the squat, right now the pain is bearable (it heals itself the day after) but I'm afraid it could get worse as the weight gets heavier. Also, I'm feeling my abs working very hard at the bottom of the squat, I don't know if it has anything to do with my hip pain but I just wanted to mention it. So, how can I fix this? What should I do big hairy ugly dude?
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #559
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Thanks, big man. Do you think a deload is necessary after smolov Jr? I hate deloads too. I'm not doing a powerlifting meet, but I was wondering whether you deload after a meet.
Yes, I would deload.

Smolov is more of a dual factor training type of set up. You should be accumulating fatigue as well as fitness (strength). It's a good idea to take a week off to let the fatigue rescind so the fitness can start to shine.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #560
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post
what can i do to keep my body more upright on squats? as the weight gets heavier im having trouble holding the bar on my back and keeping my chest up.
Have a video of your squats? I think I know the cause, but a video will help.

Usually the big issues are a loose upper back and flying elbows, and/or knees inside of the feet.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote