Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #431
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

About your recent Video on opportunities:

What if you're offered what would be a Phantastic job somewhere else...

And you just Don't Want To Move?

All things considered, you feel it is Not Worth The Price.

Should you feel pressured by the Video to Do It Anyway?

Just curious...

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #432
daysofdarkness
New Brawn
Points: 1,195, Level: 18 Points: 1,195, Level: 18 Points: 1,195, Level: 18

Training Exp: 3 months
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: pendlay row
Fav Supp: What do you got?
daysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good postsdaysofdarkness has made some good posts

I heard about muscle imbalances between the quads and hamstrings and how that could cause injury. How would I know if they are unbalanced? Should I be able to leg curl as much weight as I can do with leg extensions?

Also, What about chest and back or triceps and biceps? Should I be concerned with muscle imbalances between these muscles?
daysofdarkness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #433
Teufelhund_OR
New Brawn
Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17

Teufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality posts

Hey Brother,
Just found your vids on Youtube the other day and really enjoy them.

You are in my age ball park so thought I would say hey and throw you a question or 2..

I am a former MARINE and current security contractor , I follow a 5X5 off set with a German Volume training variation I use as to be as strong as you look idea.

I have had low back problems off and on for about 10 years, I can go for long periods of time and have no issues at all , dead lift heavy etc, but once in a while I just get crippled for a few days buy having done something as simply as working on the car crouched over or bent etc, and there it goes..

Can you suggest anything that can "shore up" a lower back to prevent this, the usual physical therapy stuff does not work well and they can not operate on it at all, degeneration etc..

It is not the age, it is the millage !!!!! I am sure you can identify..

Anyway have a great day Mr Beard, growing out one as we speak for new contract over in the sand box.. hate it lol......

Teufey
Teufelhund_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #434
Teufelhund_OR
New Brawn
Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17

Teufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality posts

Here is another question....

I get to work out Tues-Fri, work sat-mon..

Well the last bench day i had was Tuesday and at the end of the workout I was putting up 270 with effort.

Today I get a bench day in and noticed that I was struggling with 225 WTH?

Am I not getting enough protein maybe, i know my diet has slacked and have not gotten enough calories last week, could that be my issue?

Teufey
Teufelhund_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #435
beastmonster93
Brawn
Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14

beastmonster93 is new to the forumbeastmonster93 is new to the forum

I do intermittent fasting and I tend to eat a lot of protein in just one sitting. What is your opinion on using digestive enzyme during my meal to help with the digestion and absorption of the nutrients? Is it worth using them or is it total bro science?

Thanks!
beastmonster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #436
Magnus
Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1 Points: 86, Level: 1

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: tricep pushdowns
Fav Supp: Protein powder
Magnus is off to a bad start
Default Guns!

Yao! Im currently incapacitated by a dislocated kneecap. Gonna be out of the gym for some time. The only thing i can do is work arms at home with dumbbells. Im doing tris one day and the next bis and forearms. Hitting them quite hard. Is it ok to do this continously or should i rest some days? I have no connective tissue pain from doing this for some weeks now,and the strenght has not diminished. Both bis and tris and forearms get 48 hours of rest before being slaughtered again. Is this ok? GAINZwise i mean?
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #437
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
About your recent Video on opportunities:

What if you're offered what would be a Phantastic job somewhere else...

And you just Don't Want To Move?

All things considered, you feel it is Not Worth The Price.

Should you feel pressured by the Video to Do It Anyway?

Just curious...

Saxon Violence
I can't answer that for you. The video doesn't exist to pressure people, but rather to get them to trust that they can overcome any minor problems that come their way. It's about trusting that no matter what, you will wake up tomorrow and be breathing.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-15-2013 at 09:25 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #438
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysofdarkness View Post
I heard about muscle imbalances between the quads and hamstrings and how that could cause injury. How would I know if they are unbalanced? Should I be able to leg curl as much weight as I can do with leg extensions?

Also, What about chest and back or triceps and biceps? Should I be concerned with muscle imbalances between these muscles?
Most people have muscle imbalances. They are not generally anything to worry about.

The best way to fix them is to work on getting everything as strong as possible. You should do so while training in a balanced manner, meaning treating chest, shoulder and back work as relative equals.

The bros tend to work 25 sets for chest while neglecting equal back and shoulder work. This is really what you want to avoid.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #439
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhund_OR View Post
Hey Brother,
Just found your vids on Youtube the other day and really enjoy them.

You are in my age ball park so thought I would say hey and throw you a question or 2..

I am a former MARINE and current security contractor , I follow a 5X5 off set with a German Volume training variation I use as to be as strong as you look idea.

I have had low back problems off and on for about 10 years, I can go for long periods of time and have no issues at all , dead lift heavy etc, but once in a while I just get crippled for a few days buy having done something as simply as working on the car crouched over or bent etc, and there it goes..

Can you suggest anything that can "shore up" a lower back to prevent this, the usual physical therapy stuff does not work well and they can not operate on it at all, degeneration etc..

It is not the age, it is the millage !!!!! I am sure you can identify..

Anyway have a great day Mr Beard, growing out one as we speak for new contract over in the sand box.. hate it lol......

Teufey
Hi Teufehund,

Do deadlifts seem to trigger your lower back issues, or is it more random just due to your history?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #440
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhund_OR View Post
Here is another question....

I get to work out Tues-Fri, work sat-mon..

Well the last bench day i had was Tuesday and at the end of the workout I was putting up 270 with effort.

Today I get a bench day in and noticed that I was struggling with 225 WTH?

Am I not getting enough protein maybe, i know my diet has slacked and have not gotten enough calories last week, could that be my issue?

Teufey

Yes, it could definitely be a cause.

Huge strength swings are signs that something isn't right. Diet, lifting way too frequently, etc. It's good to set minimums for calories and protein intake. The body needs protein to recover and repair muscle tissue.

Could also be tied to hydration.