Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #391
chippy7
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chippy7 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Right now you need to stop thinking about maintenance levels, and focus on eating properly, eating when hungry and listening to your body. Everything else is a distraction. If the scale isn't moving then you need to focus on monitoring it a little more closely and adding calories.

It will be extremely difficult for you to get fat eating all the clean, whole, nutritious food you want.

You have some good exercises in your routine. Keep working them for progression, adding reps and weight when you can - safely, using good form.

You are on a very good path. Keep getting stronger.
I will be eating when I am hungry and be monitoring my weight gain.
Is my workout routine alright? I add 1-2 lbs once I reach the reps and sets for a lift.

Thank you BBOD for your time
chippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #392
Klz
New Brawn
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Klz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good start

Quote:
Hi Klz,

Do you have a recent picture? It doesn't need to be with your shirt off. Just curious to see how much muscle you've developed.

My opinion is generally this: if you are concerned about weight, and a bit borderline (meaning another 10 to 20 pounds might make you look too pudgy), then I would get the weight off for once and for all.

On the other hand, if you are rolling with muscle building I would clean up your eating plan and keep it rolling.

Let me know if you have a recent pic.
Thank you for your response. Here's pic as requested.
Click image for larger version

Name:	muog2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	8827
Klz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #393
juanjames
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

juanjames is off to a bad start

We talked before about me feeling dizzy and sick when lifting. I notice if I take it easy in my workouts its not a problem. I also noticed later on in the day I am pumped to lift again. I also noticed by the time I am done with my upper body I totally do not feel like doing legs even though I do them regardless. So with all of that being said I have decided to split my daily workouts. So for example in the morning do my lower body and later in the day do my upper body. I'm not adding anything to the workout but just splitting it into two shorter workouts. (I do fullbody 3 times a week) So my question is would this be fine or would it effect my gains? As always thanks for your help. Oh and I love the new video it gets me pumped to lift. lol
juanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #394
GT55
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Hey BBOD,

as a 38yr old beginner, Im looking to build strength over the first year. Ive choosen the 5-3-1 workout, and added in my assistance work based on the vast information available on here and my own gut feeling. The main lifts are pretty clear, as is the progression plan. For the assistance work i planned on using your "total reps" goals for progression. Can you take a look and give me your comments / advice? Thanks.

Monday Workout
Squats 5-3-1
Bench Press 55%x5, 655%, 75%x5
Barbell Rows 24-30 total reps
Standing Dumbbell Curls 24-30 total reps
Sit Ups 3*15

Wednesday Workout
Deadlifts 5-3-1
Seated Overhead Barbell Press 5-3-1
Dips 24-30 total reps
Seated or Standing Calf Raise 24-30 total reps
Hanging Leg Raises 3*15

Saturday Workout
Bench Press 5-3-1
Squats 55%x5, 655%, 75%x5
Pull Ups or Lat Pull Down 24-30 total reps
Standing Barbell Curls 24-30 total reps
Crunches 3*15
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #395
dookie
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1

dookie is off to a bad start

Quote:
No you did it right. Don't stop doing sets when you reach the goal. Keep doing sets for as many reps as possible. It you surpass the rep goal, add weight the next time.
Ok ^^
Thanks for the reply!
dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #396
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy7 View Post
I will be eating when I am hungry and be monitoring my weight gain.
Is my workout routine alright? I add 1-2 lbs once I reach the reps and sets for a lift.

Thank you BBOD for your time
You bet.

Your routine looks good. Just keep progressing.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #397
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klz View Post
Thank you for your response. Here's pic as requested.
Attachment 8827
You're at a good healthy weight. You look strong and fit.

I think if you did a nice slow 2 year clean bulk, added 15 pounds of muscle, the cut you'd pretty much be set for life.

On the other hand, if the extra fat is playing on your mind, drop 25 pounds, then commit to a 2 year clean bulk.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #398
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjames View Post
So my question is would this be fine or would it effect my gains? As always thanks for your help. Oh and I love the new video it gets me pumped to lift. lol
Little details like this rarely impact gains. Get strong, stay consistent and you will do great.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #399
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT55 View Post
Hey BBOD,

as a 38yr old beginner, Im looking to build strength over the first year. Ive choosen the 5-3-1 workout, and added in my assistance work based on the vast information available on here and my own gut feeling. The main lifts are pretty clear, as is the progression plan. For the assistance work i planned on using your "total reps" goals for progression. Can you take a look and give me your comments / advice? Thanks.

Monday Workout
Squats 5-3-1
Bench Press 55%x5, 655%, 75%x5
Barbell Rows 24-30 total reps
Standing Dumbbell Curls 24-30 total reps
Sit Ups 3*15

Wednesday Workout
Deadlifts 5-3-1
Seated Overhead Barbell Press 5-3-1
Dips 24-30 total reps
Seated or Standing Calf Raise 24-30 total reps
Hanging Leg Raises 3*15

Saturday Workout
Bench Press 5-3-1
Squats 55%x5, 655%, 75%x5
Pull Ups or Lat Pull Down 24-30 total reps
Standing Barbell Curls 24-30 total reps
Crunches 3*15
Hi GT,

Comments...

Not enough working bench work. You really only have 2 challenging bench press sets a week, which are bolded above. That won't yield much in the way of gains. Same with overhead pressing. Only one working set per week. Squats fall into the same class...

My suggestion is to add a little more squat an pressing volume. Those are your home run lifts and right now they are being underutilized. A few extra sets will go a long way.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #400
Klz
New Brawn
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Klz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good start

Quote:
You're at a good healthy weight. You look strong and fit.

I think if you did a nice slow 2 year clean bulk, added 15 pounds of muscle, the cut you'd pretty much be set for life.

On the other hand, if the extra fat is playing on your mind, drop 25 pounds, then commit to a 2 year clean bulk.
Ok I'm gonna think about if I wanna cut first or just clean up my diet and do the 2 year bulk straight off. Btw is it ok to just eat clean and keep watch on weight lets say weekly and adjust eating based on that? Or is counting calories and macros actually required? I personally have nothing against counting them but I was just wondering if it works just as fine eating clean and plenty and check weight weekly if it's going up as intended?
Klz is offline   Reply With Quote