Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #341
chippy7
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chippy7 is off to a bad start

Hey BBOD. I am loving all ur videos and I had a thought when i was watching ur Smolov Expectation video.
Why is it that some people are so much stronger than other people naturally? Also why do some people gain strength so much quicker and resulting in better overall results?
Because I am really weak and cannot gain strength as easily as others. I know there is no point in comparing with other individuals but what gives others such better strength advantages.
Thanks BBOD
chippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #342
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy7 View Post
Hey BBOD. I am loving all ur videos and I had a thought when i was watching ur Smolov Expectation video.
Why is it that some people are so much stronger than other people naturally? Also why do some people gain strength so much quicker and resulting in better overall results?
Because I am really weak and cannot gain strength as easily as others. I know there is no point in comparing with other individuals but what gives others such better strength advantages.
Thanks BBOD
A lot of this has to do with:

1) Eating
2) Drive
3) Expectations

I have met a lot of people in person that thought they are weak. Usually they simply aren't trying hard enough, eating enough and or staying consistent.

There are the rare one percenters who are strong, but most people work their butts off to get strong. Most of it is mental.

The reality is that most people don't do what it takes. Most of this is mental.

I've worked with plenty of people who want it and plenty who don't. The ones that do get strong quickly. the ones that don't usually aren't lifting for the right reasons.

Some people just have unreasonable expectations as to how fast strength comes. People occasionally tell me how in "awe" they are of my "natural" strength. I've been lifting for 26 years on and off.

Not saying this to sound arrogant, but give me a month with a "naturally weak" individual and I will make him see he's stronger than he thinks.

I just want to say to you personally that I encourage you to stop thinking in terms of "strong and weak." Go into the gym after one more rep than last time. This will make you strong quickly and all that matters.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #343
dookie
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

dookie is off to a bad start

Hello ^^
I've started the bulldozer workout and just wondering about the system goal. What I've done for a sample is that I did wrist curls and was able to reach 35 reps within 2 sets and stopped the exercise. Did I do it right or should I of done the full 4 sets?
dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #344
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I am just curious ( don't mean to seem rude) but why on God's green earth, would you use, the screen name "dookie"???
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #345
dookie
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

dookie is off to a bad start

It goes way way back in my mmorpg days =p had a character called Dookiepoo.
dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #346
chippy7
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chippy7 is off to a bad start
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
A lot of this has to do with:

1) Eating
2) Drive
3) Expectations

I have met a lot of people in person that thought they are weak. Usually they simply aren't trying hard enough, eating enough and or staying consistent.

There are the rare one percenters who are strong, but most people work their butts off to get strong. Most of it is mental.

The reality is that most people don't do what it takes. Most of this is mental.

I've worked with plenty of people who want it and plenty who don't. The ones that do get strong quickly. the ones that don't usually aren't lifting for the right reasons.

Some people just have unreasonable expectations as to how fast strength comes. People occasionally tell me how in "awe" they are of my "natural" strength. I've been lifting for 26 years on and off.

Not saying this to sound arrogant, but give me a month with a "naturally weak" individual and I will make him see he's stronger than he thinks.

I just want to say to you personally that I encourage you to stop thinking in terms of "strong and weak." Go into the gym after one more rep than last time. This will make you strong quickly and all that matters.
Thank you BBOD sir you are very wise. I am running a full body split 5x5 and progressing but verry slowly. I will keep your message with heart. Thank you again.
chippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #347
Weaponx25
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn
Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Food
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts
Default No spotter.

Dear bearded beast

I have never really lifted weights my whole life. I am now 30 years old and have decided to get into powerlifting. I am very weak at this point but intend on great change. My question to you is: I have read Arnold's encyclopedia and staring strength for workout routines and form for the lifts however will this be safe to go to the gym with no spotter? Also if I have no spotter will my soon to be gains be smaller for fear of dropping weight on top of me?
Weaponx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #348
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie View Post
Hello ^^
I've started the bulldozer workout and just wondering about the system goal. What I've done for a sample is that I did wrist curls and was able to reach 35 reps within 2 sets and stopped the exercise. Did I do it right or should I of done the full 4 sets?
No you did it right. Don't stop doing sets when you reach the goal. Keep doing sets for as many reps as possible. It you surpass the rep goal, add weight the next time.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #349
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie View Post
It goes way way back in my mmorpg days =p had a character called Dookiepoo.
I played a MMO with a guy called "Ploop's Plop".

Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #350
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponx25 View Post
Dear bearded beast

I have never really lifted weights my whole life. I am now 30 years old and have decided to get into powerlifting. I am very weak at this point but intend on great change. My question to you is: I have read Arnold's encyclopedia and staring strength for workout routines and form for the lifts however will this be safe to go to the gym with no spotter? Also if I have no spotter will my soon to be gains be smaller for fear of dropping weight on top of me?
Do you have a squat rack with adjustable pins where you can bench press and squat?