Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #301
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Dear big hairy ugly dude

What should be my numbers on Bench Press, Overhead Press, Deadlift and Squat to be considered out of the novice phase? I'm 170cm tall and my weight is 64kg.

Also, what program do you recommend after not being novice anymore?
Numbers don't tell much. There are some strong guys with horrible form, and strong guys who don't know how to build their own diets and workouts.

Some guys, like BruteForce from the forum, were intermediate stage after 6 month. On the other hand, I have seen hundreds of guys who have been training over 5+ years and haven't been able to comprehend that there are many form videos on Youtube that can help them.

Sorry if I can't answer, but weight plays a small role. Consistency, mental strength, form, attitude...many things come into play.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #302
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Numbers don't tell much. There are some strong guys with horrible form, and strong guys who don't know how to build their own diets and workouts.

Some guys, like BruteForce from the forum, were intermediate stage after 6 month. On the other hand, I have seen hundreds of guys who have been training over 5+ years and haven't been able to comprehend that there are many form videos on Youtube that can help them.

Sorry if I can't answer, but weight plays a small role. Consistency, mental strength, form, attitude...many things come into play.
Oh well... I think I have pretty good form on all my compound lifts, never hurted my self and I'm making progress so far. As for diet, I already know my macros, and I count my calories, I'm bulking now at 3000kcal. I've started lifting heavy this year on march, last year I worked out, but I did mainly push ups, pull ups and crunches, and sometimes I would curl my 8kg dumbbells or do shoulder presses, I did eat clean tho.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #303
tankdogg7233
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: I hate lunges
Fav Supp: Chocolate
tankdogg7233 is off to a good starttankdogg7233 is off to a good starttankdogg7233 is off to a good start

Quote:
Thanks Tank.

I am ex-Army. Been through the fun of basic training. My best advice is to do the following:

1) Start running 3-4x a week. Start slow, maybe 2-3 minutes, and try to improve a little bit each week. By next year you will be a running maniac.

2) Start doing push ups and sit ups 4-5 days a week. You don't have to do a lot, but you need to get used to the demands of frequency. I would do 5 sets a day, with the last one for each exercise being an all-out set.

3) Food...don't crash diet. Start your calories around 2400 a day. Watch this for 2 weeks. If you are not losing weight after 2 weeks then let me know.

^ This sounds hard, and you will feel tired, but at the end of the tunnel you will not only feel better, but be more than ready for the military.

One final point about strength...bench press never really helped my push ups. You can do strength training if you'd like, but the best way to improve on push ups is to do push ups.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely add running,push ups, and sit ups to my workouts.
Over the past month i have been using myfitnesspal to track my calories and it gave me 1710 calories per day to lose 2 lbs per week.it worked extremely well the first two weeks. I lost 5lbs the first week and 4 lbs the second. The third week i lost 1lb and last week i stayed the same. Has the weight lost stopped because my calories were too low? And if i raise my calories to 2400 as you recommended should this get me back on track? Thanks again!
tankdogg7233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #304
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Oh well... I think I have pretty good form on all my compound lifts, never hurted my self and I'm making progress so far. As for diet, I already know my macros, and I count my calories, I'm bulking now at 3000kcal. I've started lifting heavy this year on march, last year I worked out, but I did mainly push ups, pull ups and crunches, and sometimes I would curl my 8kg dumbbells or do shoulder presses, I did eat clean tho.
Show me a pic of your physique, starting and ending body stats, and a video of squats and deads and I can give you a lot of feedback.

From my side of the fence, people are constantly telling me they have good form, yet when they post the videos, I am surprised when they actually do.

No disrespect mean, just that words don't help much is level assessment.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #305
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdogg7233 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely add running,push ups, and sit ups to my workouts.
Over the past month i have been using myfitnesspal to track my calories and it gave me 1710 calories per day to lose 2 lbs per week.it worked extremely well the first two weeks. I lost 5lbs the first week and 4 lbs the second. The third week i lost 1lb and last week i stayed the same. Has the weight lost stopped because my calories were too low? And if i raise my calories to 2400 as you recommended should this get me back on track? Thanks again!
1710 is way too low. Crank that up to 2200.

One thing that will help: post up everything you ate during a typical 1700 calorie day. Pick any day, and list the items. Also, don't forget anything you drink.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #306
tankdogg7233
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: I hate lunges
Fav Supp: Chocolate
tankdogg7233 is off to a good starttankdogg7233 is off to a good starttankdogg7233 is off to a good start

Quote:
1710 is way too low. Crank that up to 2200.

One thing that will help: post up everything you ate during a typical 1700 calorie day. Pick any day, and list the items. Also, don't forget anything you drink.
My breakfast is very consistent but dinners vary often.i regularly drink at least 90 oz of water a day. i don't really drink anything besides water except for on the weekends when i might have a low or no calorie energy drink or diet pop because i'm working late. here is a typical day of eating from a little over a week ago.

Breakfast
Kroger Brand - Unsalted Butter, 0.5 tbsp (14 grams)
Mariani - Dried Pineapple - Premium Tropical, 1/4 cup (40g)
Sweet N' Low - Sweetner, 1 packet
1 cup green tea
Kroger - 100% Whole Grain Oats - Old Fashioned, 1/2 cup uncooked Hickmans Family Farms - Eggs, 3 egg
Dole Costco - Banana, 1 banana

Dinner
Land O' Lakes - Unsalted Butter, 0.5 tablespoon
Sweet Potato - Baked, Medium, 334 grams
Broccoli Florets - (Frozen), 1 cup
Foster Farms - 99% Fat Free Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, 6 oz

Snacks
Guerrero - Flour Tortillas Estilo Casero, 1 Tortilla 1
Kirkland Signature - Cheese - Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, 1/3 cup(28g)
Nabisco - Oreo - Chocolate Sandwich Cookies - Classic, 3 cookies (34 g)

Total Calories 1,687
tankdogg7233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #307
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
Show me a pic of your physique, starting and ending body stats, and a video of squats and deads and I can give you a lot of feedback.

From my side of the fence, people are constantly telling me they have good form, yet when they post the videos, I am surprised when they actually do.

No disrespect mean, just that words don't help much is level assessment.
Here's the video, pic and info as requested.

Height: 170cm (5 feet 7 inches)
Weight: 64kg (140 pounds) - my starting weight about last week of December 2011 was about 70kg, I lost some fat.

Keep in mind that I started lifting seriously this year on march, also I come from a family that never got much into sports at all :P

Current Lifts (working weights, sets of 5):
Bench: 60kg
Deadlift: 70kg
Squat: 50kg
Overhead press: 38kg

Sorry, I dont have a previous picture I did take some but they were on my old cellphone and I lost it, but I looked almost the same, the only things that changed and were noticeable a bit bigger were my chest and arms, also a lost some fat and my abs were showing a bit. As you can see in the picture I dont have much muscle at all, somehow visible abs but nothing impressive.

Last edited by davez; 04-23-2013 at 01:06 PM.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #308
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Friend,

I was checking out some of the Powerlifting Federations and I came across this classification scheme for The APA-WPA Federation:

AGE 55-59

275 Pound 308 Pound Classes

1465*** 1515 *** Elite

1340*** 1394 *** Master

1215*** 1247*** Class 1

1055*** 1375*** Class 2

*905*** 1225*** Class 3

*800*** 1130*** Class 4

1465 or 1515 to be an Elite Lifter?

Excuse me, perhaps I'm having delusions of Adequacy once more—but that seems immanently doable.

Tell me if I'm Phantasizing.

{There is the Question. (?)}

In my 30's I squatted 600x1 (Raw & no Wraps) a couple times—well below Parallel, since I always aimed to completely bottom out.

I got 295 on the Bench several times (Raw) with a 1 second pause.

I don't think that I ever did singles on the Deadlift.

My Deadlift was decidedly weak.

#1} I'm a very Quad Dominant Squatter—back always my weakest link—and I had no Hamstrings to speak of.

Hell, I'd never heard the term "Quad-Dominant" back then.

I want to really do lots of leg curls and Stiff-legged Deadlifts from day 1 to address my weak points.

#2} I never really understood the mechanics of the Lift back then. I was trying to lift the bar straight up...

#3} I was trying to use the Exact form my Coach showed me...

All the while feeling capable of lifting another 200-250 pounds if I just "Sloppied-up" a little and did it "My Way".

I think that I could work back up to 600+ in the Squat again.

I think that I could—maybe—get into the 600 Pound range with the Deadlift—big gray area.

I never got much Pectoral or Lat stimulation in my Workouts.

I never really understood the Mechanics of Bent Rows.

I think with the addition of some Lat and Pec strength that I could get a bit above 300...

Is shooting for "Elite" classification over a 2 or 3 year period a realistic goal for someone 56?

Or does someone need to tell me, "Forget it Old Man!"?

O yeah, they didn't have Creatine—at least I never heard of it, back when I Trained.

1 More advantage now...

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #309
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Sorry for the slow delay guys, just now catching up from the weekend.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #310
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdogg7233 View Post
My breakfast is very consistent but dinners vary often.i regularly drink at least 90 oz of water a day. i don't really drink anything besides water except for on the weekends when i might have a low or no calorie energy drink or diet pop because i'm working late. here is a typical day of eating from a little over a week ago.

Breakfast
Kroger Brand - Unsalted Butter, 0.5 tbsp (14 grams)
Mariani - Dried Pineapple - Premium Tropical, 1/4 cup (40g)
Sweet N' Low - Sweetner, 1 packet
1 cup green tea
Kroger - 100% Whole Grain Oats - Old Fashioned, 1/2 cup uncooked Hickmans Family Farms - Eggs, 3 egg

Dinner
Land O' Lakes - Unsalted Butter, 0.5 tablespoon
Sweet Potato - Baked, Medium, 334 grams
Broccoli Florets - (Frozen), 1 cup
Foster Farms - 99% Fat Free Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets, 6 oz

Snacks
Guerrero - Flour Tortillas Estilo Casero, 1 Tortilla 1
Kirkland Signature - Cheese - Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, 1/3 cup(28g)
Nabisco - Oreo - Chocolate Sandwich Cookies - Classic, 3 cookies (34 g)

Total Calories 1,687
Glad to see you know exactly what you're drinking. Many folks don't.

Right now your protein is at about 86 grams. You need to at least double that each day to help you maintain your existing muscle mass and recover. While cutting I would even recommend bringing it to 170-180 minimum.

So let's day you add 100 extra grams of protein. That's 400 extra calories. You could add 2 whey shakes for snacks, one scoop in water. That's an extra 50ish grams of protein and a good start. Something like 4 pieces of string cheese would add 300 more calories and 30ish grams of protein. Just tossing out suggestions.