Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #241
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1335 View Post

Thanks for your response.
Glad to help.

Take a look at this workout and let me know what you think. it will run an hour or slightly less. You will focus on maximizing every set and progression is more organic. Instead of trying to force 5 pounds every week, you will simply try to improve each set by at least one rep per week.

While this doesn't sound like much, it adds up rather quickly.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/wor...y-workout.html

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #242
Randomguy1335
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Randomguy1335 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Glad to help.

Take a look at this workout and let me know what you think. it will run an hour or slightly less. You will focus on maximizing every set and progression is more organic. Instead of trying to force 5 pounds every week, you will simply try to improve each set by at least one rep per week.

While this doesn't sound like much, it adds up rather quickly.
This seems to be exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks a bunch Bearded One.
Randomguy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #243
beastmonster93
Brawn
Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14

beastmonster93 is new to the forumbeastmonster93 is new to the forum

Hi! I have a question and any feedback u guys can give would be truly appreciated!
I am currently doing the wendler 5/3/1 program and I love it. All my lifts are doing great and I am constantly hitting new PR's. However, in the first two cycles I managed to increase my bench 1RM by over 100 lbs. Don't take me wrong, this is awesome! but now I am finding myself having to do around 21 + reps on the last set of every workout because my 1RM is so much higher than it used to be. Wendler recommends to increase the squat only by 10 lbs every cycle, so my question is: since my goal reps are so high, can I increase by 20 lbs my squat instead of 10?? This way my goal reps will go down a little bit and will fall more into the 1-10 rep range instead of the 10 - 25 rep range.

Thanks in advance!
beastmonster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #244
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Your recent "I just wanna get Ripped" Video...

Are these Dudes that want to emulate Clarence Bass or do they want to look like Zyzz?

Just Curious...

Whatever else that I may reasonably hope to accomplish in the Gym, being Ripped to Shreds isn't one of them...

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #245
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmonster93 View Post
Hi! I have a question and any feedback u guys can give would be truly appreciated!
I am currently doing the wendler 5/3/1 program and I love it. All my lifts are doing great and I am constantly hitting new PR's. However, in the first two cycles I managed to increase my bench 1RM by over 100 lbs. Don't take me wrong, this is awesome! but now I am finding myself having to do around 21 + reps on the last set of every workout because my 1RM is so much higher than it used to be. Wendler recommends to increase the squat only by 10 lbs every cycle, so my question is: since my goal reps are so high, can I increase by 20 lbs my squat instead of 10?? This way my goal reps will go down a little bit and will fall more into the 1-10 rep range instead of the 10 - 25 rep range.

Thanks in advance!
First off, great progress.

This is one reason I'm not a fan of programs that force you to stick to fixed rates of progression. Everyone is different.

With that said, if you are training for purely strength I would bump it by 20. If you are training for muscle building and strength, I would stay the course unless you completely despise 20 rep squats. 20 rep squats are amazing builders so there is certainly nothing wrong with using them for a few months.

It's really your call. During some periods of my life I enjoyed 20 rep squats more than others.

If you are going over 20 reps then I would most definitely recommend a bump in weight.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #246
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
Your recent "I just wanna get Ripped" Video...

Are these Dudes that want to emulate Clarence Bass or do they want to look like Zyzz?

Just Curious...

Whatever else that I may reasonably hope to accomplish in the Gym, being Ripped to Shreds isn't one of them...

Saxon Violence
Not sure.

They are looking for quick fixes in a place where they don't exist. If getting shredded was easy, I'd be rich.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #247
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Not sure.

They are looking for quick fixes in a place where they don't exist. If getting shredded was easy, I'd be rich.
I agreed with everything you said on the video, getting ripped is pointless if you haven't build a good amount of muscle mass because you're still going to look skinny, just a skinny ripped dude and also weak.

Question: Exercises to improve my squat, I can bench more than I can squat, there I've said it all, I've got chicken legs T_T

Also, I demand more BBOD training videos or amazing feats of strength
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #248
Aless
Points: 808, Level: 15 Points: 808, Level: 15 Points: 808, Level: 15

Aless is off to a bad start
Talking

Hello Bearded Beast of Duloc,

I've been watching the videos for a while, really like them. I'm need of some help to fix my deadlift. I'm returning to the gym and recovering my strength but I always had this problem - when I start the deadlift my shoulders are in front of the bar, my hips are too high and therefore I fell my back is rounding... hips high also mean I don't engage them properly and put too much stress in my lower back. I think the cause for that all is the same, but I've tried to fix the problem and once I progress with the load, the mistakes happen again... when I'm warming up, everything looks great. Here are my videos from yesterday:

Deadlift 1x110Kg (242lb)

Deadlift 1x130Kg (286lb)

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Aless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #249
NTF
New Brawn
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: CGBP
Fav Supp: Coffee
NTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forum

Is it possible to make decent muscle and strength gains utilizing only 1 set per heavy compound movement if you add 1 rep every workout?
NTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #250
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF View Post
Is it possible to make decent muscle and strength gains utilizing only 1 set per heavy compound movement if you add 1 rep every workout?
I've never seen a natural, beginning to early intermediate do this so it's a hard question to answer. With that said, I believe it is possible to make progress as long as progression in the mix. Will this progress be optimal? I doubt it.

One set a week per body part isn't something I believe would serve 99% of lifters well. Think about the message it is sending to the body. 10 total sets a week (all body parts) might be a decent enough trigger to build some muscle, but from an intensity standpoint (sets/week) it is unlikely that it will be optimal.