Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #171
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Hey BBOD/BTB, Came from your YT videos but have been a previous lurker not knowing you were BTB. Just wondering what your opinion is on low carb/paleo diet. I have previously done a paleoish diet to lose weight and it worked great, but im on a muscle building journey now ( taking up your 1 year challenge ) and have been thinking about going back to paleo/low carb as i often feel bloated and cramped after rice/pasta/bread. Have you ever tried it? If so what did you think? If not why?

Also there seems to be a huge difference between my squat and my dead numbers, I know 90% of people deadlift more but mine is alot more. For my squat i could work up to 100kg/220lbs whilst my dead is 150kg/330lbs. My dead seems to be far ahead of all my other lifts im not sure why i progress so rapidly on it but struggle to get past a 100kg squat. Any insight would be great. Thanks BtB great videos.

Last edited by OHDL; 03-22-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Another question.
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #172
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

If you dont mind I would like to add a cautionary experience of my own from attempting to train like Westside with only 2 years experience.

Maxing on different lifts week after week really burnt me out. I wasn't doing the main barbell lifts (real squat, standard bench, deadlift from floor) nearly enough and with minimal rep work. My form was worse, I didn't have a grasp about the entire concept around speed work or circa max phases and all that advanced stuff. In addition, BtB is right about that style of training not adding mass. The whole point of them was to gain minimal body weight and get stronger as that weight class. But in your first several years where you're still building your base with reps and gaining muscle mass it really is not optimal to do so much heavy work.

Hope it helps and you dont mind BtB.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #173
CiaranM
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: less than a year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
CiaranM is off to a bad start
Default knee pain form check

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
First off, never downplay the weight you are using. 260x5 is a good squat.

Second, i'd love to take a look at your squat form. Do you have a video handy?
Here is a link to the videos of my squat. This was set 4 and 5 of 5 reps with 225 I think for each set.
. Thanks for the help bearded beast love the videos!

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-25-2013 at 12:24 PM.
CiaranM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #174
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

On the road. Be back tomorrow.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #175
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Dear big, hairy, strong-a$$ed Dude from Duloc. I am using explosive, heavy BB shrugs after deads to work dem traps. I have a form problem tho. My johnson is getting in the way and is taking a beating, no pun intended. How should I adjust my form to fix this?
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #176
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Dear big, hairy, strong-a$$ed Dude from Duloc. I am using explosive, heavy BB shrugs after deads to work dem traps. I have a form problem tho. My johnson is getting in the way and is taking a beating, no pun intended. How should I adjust my form to fix this?
Haha, it's funny but true. One of the [many] reasons I don't do shrugs. Can't wait to hear BtB's suggestions.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #177
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

wear a codpiece! Worked for Batman!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #178
Boom
Brawn
Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19 Points: 1,211, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Boom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributorBoom is a consistent contributor

There's always "tucking".
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #179
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

What do you think of "Hise Shrugs"?

Been meaning to ask.

Might solve the one gentleman's problem with his Yard hitting the Bar.

If he has that problem with Hise Shrugs, then he's a Serious Mutant!

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #180
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Is it necessary for a smaller lifter to gain mass in order to continue gaining strength, and how does one know when and how much mass, aside from more is better?

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote