Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #161
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
hey, so i have decided to do my first diet. my goal is to loose about 16 pounds, maybe i will push it to 20.

anyway, what rep range is best for "maintaining" muscle mass when dieting?

- Weezy.
Hi Weezy,

There are no rep ranges for cutting. You want to do the same think you are doing when building muscle - trying to get stronger using conventional hypertrophy rep ranges.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-22-2013 at 09:15 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #162
tayjeremy
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi Weezy,

There are no rep ranges and cutting. You want to do the same think you are doing when building muscle - trying to get stronger using conventional hypertrophy rep ranges.
A general rule of thumb is to use 2/3rds of Volume but keep intensity on the bar.

BendtheBar, when using the Rep Goal System on a diet, how does that work?

http://hugegainer.com/early-intermed...g-4-day-split/

The deadlifts system, should I countthe total reps I Do for a given weight to see if I'm losing alot of strength? Basically how would this routine look like on a 1/lb a week fatloss phase?

Last edited by tayjeremy; 03-21-2013 at 07:13 PM.
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #163
CiaranM
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1

Training Exp: less than a year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
CiaranM is off to a bad start

Quote:
First off, never downplay the weight you are using. 260x5 is a good squat.

Second, i'd love to take a look at your squat form. Do you have a video handy?
I have no videos yet but I will film tomorrow.
CiaranM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #164
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

hey BtB,
i watched your video on building massive traps. btw, your traps are insane! my traps have responded really well to deadlifts, but i recently started doing shrugs. i do exactly the kind you mentioned -- the dumbbell shrug with holds at the top -- but now this sounds like a waste of time.
my question is this: it's very difficult to get a power rack at my gym in order to do barbell power shrugs. is there any way to get the same benefit using dumbbells? DBs would be the easiest option for me.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #165
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
A general rule of thumb is to use 2/3rds of Volume but keep intensity on the bar.

BendtheBar, when using the Rep Goal System on a diet, how does that work?
I don't advocate general principles like this ^. It doesn't factor in current volume, lifter's history, etc.

Also, pulling back the volume in one big sweeping move is not wise. If the volume is pulled back, or needs to be pulled back, it should be done slowly and based on needs.

Quote:
Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

The deadlifts system, should I countthe total reps I Do for a given weight to see if I'm losing alot of strength? Basically how would this routine look like on a 1/lb a week fatloss phase?
You count the reps, yes. You still want to aim for improvement, or worst case, holding steady.

Regarding changes for cutting, I wouldn't make any. It's going to take 3-4 weeks to dial in your cutting diet as is, and after that point I would assess how things are going.

When cutting, if anything, I pull the a set on assistance work but keep the big hitting exercises the same when possible.

Listen to your body and make adjustments off specific needs. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #166
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
hey BtB,
i watched your video on building massive traps. btw, your traps are insane! my traps have responded really well to deadlifts, but i recently started doing shrugs. i do exactly the kind you mentioned -- the dumbbell shrug with holds at the top -- but now this sounds like a waste of time.
my question is this: it's very difficult to get a power rack at my gym in order to do barbell power shrugs. is there any way to get the same benefit using dumbbells? DBs would be the easiest option for me.
Well let me first say they aren't a waste of time per se. The main issue with shrugs is that people are a lot stronger on them then they imagine, and often limit the weight, or simple don't have big enough dumbbells to stimulate much growth. Some lifters also get stubborn and won't use straps, allowing grip to limit traps building.

Most guys that can deadlift 300 should be able to do shrugs with 400 (eventually), but they often end up using 60 pound dumbbells. The traps are build to hold a lot of weight. They are a powerfully strong muscle. Don't be afraid to challenge them wisely.

My advice is to get some straps, strap in with the heaviest dumbbells in the gym, and power shrug 3x10. See how this feels.

Explode those shoulders/traps up; make that weight move.

Let me know how this goes.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #167
drummerguydw
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1

drummerguydw is off to a bad start

Hey, I just watched your video on trap training, I am curious as to the carryover from starting heavy trap training in regards to deadlift strength? I know its a full body movement but will bringing up traps help in any significant way in regards to performance?

Also, I watched one of your earlier videos on maxing out every week, and you were very against it. What type of suggestions would you have for someone using the conjugate method and working up to a 1 RM on a variation of a main lift every week with the westside barbell style of training? Working up to 3 RM? Or some other advice? I prefer this style of training and I am making amazing progress on it, so I'm not too hot on the idea of changing what routine I'm doing.
drummerguydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #168
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguydw View Post
Hey, I just watched your video on trap training, I am curious as to the carryover from starting heavy trap training in regards to deadlift strength? I know its a full body movement but will bringing up traps help in any significant way in regards to performance?

Also, I watched one of your earlier videos on maxing out every week, and you were very against it. What type of suggestions would you have for someone using the conjugate method and working up to a 1 RM on a variation of a main lift every week with the westside barbell style of training? Working up to 3 RM? Or some other advice? I prefer this style of training and I am making amazing progress on it, so I'm not too hot on the idea of changing what routine I'm doing.
Hi Drummer,

Exercises like heavy power shrugs and the rack pull/power shrug combo will definitely help to bolster the deadlift over time. I consider them deadlift variations. They overload the traps and other muscles of the upper body, and that is definitely a good thing.

My training philosophy is more about strength accumulation. Get everything as strong as possible.

Regarding the conjugate/Westside system, that is an advanced type of programming and I do not recommend it for beginners to intermediate lifters. These lifters need rep work to build form and muscle.

I see too many guys with bad form and very little muscle testing maxes every week. This is a very misguided approach.

I personally do not believe true one rep max training is needed by most lifters. It is not an efficient way of building muscle, and the risks are great. Save true max attempts for the platform or mock meets.

At the end of the day most of my advice is for beginning to intermediate lifters. While I do encourage heavy singles, doubles and triples for intermediates who are strength-focused, they are never dangerous maxes. I do not believe in performing reps when form has gone to heck.

I hope some of this makes sense.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #169
drummerguydw
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1

drummerguydw is off to a bad start

Thank you so much, that makes perfect sense, I guess I misunderstood your concept of maxing vs heavy singles, I tend to do heavy triples and doubles and heavy singles but never true 1 RM, i think I may have maxed on 2 lifts in the 3 months I have been training with the conjugate method. I have never sacrificed form to add more weight. I personally like this method due to the fact that Ive made the most progress with this style of training, even when i first started lifting and made up my own routine where Id have a heavy and light day and id work up to a 3 rep PR each week. Very good advice your giving and thanks for the speedy response.
drummerguydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #170
tayjeremy
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6

Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Quote:
I don't advocate general principles like this ^. It doesn't factor in current volume, lifter's history, etc.

Also, pulling back the volume in one big sweeping move is not wise. If the volume is pulled back, or needs to be pulled back, it should be done slowly and based on needs.

You count the reps, yes. You still want to aim for improvement, or worst case, holding steady.

Regarding changes for cutting, I wouldn't make any. It's going to take 3-4 weeks to dial in your cutting diet as is, and after that point I would assess how things are going.

When cutting, if anything, I pull the a set on assistance work but keep the big hitting exercises the same when possible.

Listen to your body and make adjustments off specific needs. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks! The answer seemed so obvious after you put it that way. Sweeping changes tend to be problematic.

Been doing what you advised, keeping everything in and only taking out accessories when needed. Thanks again BtB
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote