Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #151
DJAY
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

DJAY is off to a bad start
Default Gaining Muscle

Hey Bearded Guy! I'm 21, 5'11, and about 150lbs.. And I'm looking to gain a lotta muscle. Is there a special way I should train. For example, should I lift heavy instead of high reps?

Thanks for your help!
DJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #152
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAY View Post
Hey Bearded Guy! I'm 21, 5'11, and about 150lbs.. And I'm looking to gain a lotta muscle. Is there a special way I should train. For example, should I lift heavy instead of high reps?

Thanks for your help!
Heavy is the only way to gain.

Try something like this:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/wor...y-workout.html

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #153
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamzadag View Post
Hello there I've come from your YouTube channel ! Great stuff ! My question to you is: my knees cave inwards on deadlifts, is there a reason as to why this is ? Or do you need to see a video to know exactly why ?

Thanks in advance
My guess is that either:

1) Your stance is too wide.
2) You're weak (not a rip on you).
3) Both.

If you have a video I would like to see it. My best guess is that your stance is probably wider than it should be.

Please don't take #2 above as a rip. Some guys have weaknesses and they experience caving in.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #154
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Gidday Mr Beast,

Hey thanks for your reply regarding calories vs protein, very informative. While someone else is on the subject of protein, what are your thoughts on milk powder being a good replacement for protein powder ?. Over here protein powder is really dear. My last purchase 4.5 kg bag of Mutant protein powder stung me $150 and that is fairly cheep impaired to some. I read somewhere that if you chuck a couple of scoops of milk powder into your milk you have a fairly good alltournative, but I'm not so sure.

Many Thanks, Nath.
I used milk powder in college because protein powder was expensive at that time.

I still used it up to several years ago.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #155
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
Just wanted to say:

"Thanks a whole lot!"

You're really a nice guy to read and respond in depth to everyone's questions this way.

I Googled "Gimlet Squat"...

Did you mean "Goblet Squat"?

At any rate—just did 2X20 holding my two 6 Pound Hammers together in the "Goblet" Position.

I'll do one more in a minute. Thighs are super-pumped and I even felt my erectors working.

Digging out the old weights will have to wait for a Sunny Day—pouring and chilly right now...

But now I see a Point to digging them out—even without Bench or Squat Rack.

Obvioulsly it will take a few days—like Seven to get a week's worth of meals/intake.....and I'll get back to you.

Just wanted to say "Thanks! " in the interim.

Saxon Violence
Glad to help.

Yes, goblet squats.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #156
Corcioch
New Brawn
Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Education
Corcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-NOgains View Post
whats the cheapest protien i can buy because i dont have a job only in summer and my parents arnt in work atm ?

Sorry If Im intruding BBOD .. . .Just trying to help . . .Feel free to remove this post if Im butting in on your thread.

I live in Ireland also 'Irish NOgains' and I would reckon if you did the maths on cost of purchase V Grams of Protein in a product Bulk Whey Protein would be in the lead.

Quality Chicken and Beef are very expensive to buy . . .and the supermarket cheaper Chicken has as little as 11g of Protein per fillet.

BTW, im not trying to say eat Whey Protein all the time . . .just that I believe it is the cheapest form.

There are usually butchers who will run offers of say 10 fillets of chicken breast for €10.( they wont be huge fillets ) ( thats close to $13 US ) . . . that's as cheap as I have seen it.

You will get the darker chicken meat cheaper . . .thighs and drumsticks etc

I do know several bodybuilders who buy their chicken in bulk from factories, its cheaper . . . dunno how to get into that.

Last edited by Corcioch; 03-19-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Corcioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #157
Soc
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Soc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good posts

To add to the above post^, Tesco sell 2 litres of milk for €1.50 and 12 eggs for €2. You're likely to get them even cheaper in a butchers.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...k-forever.html
Soc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #158
CiaranM
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: less than a year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
CiaranM is off to a bad start
Default Knee pains

Hey Bearded Beast I have been getting these knee pains lately the day after my workouts. I do full body 3 days a week and the only exercise involving my knees that work each day is the squat. The pain some what goes away when I stretch and warm up, but still some pain stays. I'm only squating 260 for 5 reps and don't think I should be using knee wraps. I'm just wondering if this pain is because of some form issue or something else and what I should do to help stop the pains. Thanks for all the help and love the videos.
CiaranM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #159
Weezy
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Weezy is off to a bad start

hey, so i have decided to do my first diet. my goal is to loose about 16 pounds, maybe i will push it to 20.

anyway, what rep range is best for "maintaining" muscle mass when dieting?

- Weezy.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #160
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaranM View Post
Hey Bearded Beast I have been getting these knee pains lately the day after my workouts. I do full body 3 days a week and the only exercise involving my knees that work each day is the squat. The pain some what goes away when I stretch and warm up, but still some pain stays. I'm only squating 260 for 5 reps and don't think I should be using knee wraps. I'm just wondering if this pain is because of some form issue or something else and what I should do to help stop the pains. Thanks for all the help and love the videos.
First off, never downplay the weight you are using. 260x5 is a good squat.

Second, i'd love to take a look at your squat form. Do you have a video handy?