Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #131
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Is it normal for my DB rows to be leaps and bounds ahead of my BB rows?
Yes. Better leverage and power move. You should be able to row 65-70% of your BB Row with one arm.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #132
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Which grip do you prefer for upright rows?
I prefer a grip that is about shoulder width apart. That seems to be the most comfortable for me.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #133
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Gidday Mr BBOD,

Concerning muscle growth, what would you say is more important, Protein or Calories ?. Cheers Nath.
Calories.

If I had to choose between 200 grams of protein a day and undereating, or 3500 calories and day and only 100 grams of protein, I would go for more food.

Weight gain is inherently anabolic and lends itself to faster strength gains. There was a study a few years back on the weight of sumo wrestlers. The findings indicated that the sumos, despite not lifting, had a base lean body mass close to that of natural bodybuilders.

What this tells us is that weight gain is not all fat gain, like most believe. Obviously everyone is different, but most heavier guys tend to also be stronger. This is one of the reasons.

I fear undereating, but there are many days when my protein is a little on the low side.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #134
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
Let me ask a few questions that are rather specific to my situation and condition.
Hope I can help.

Quote:
I'm losing weight and exercising a bit—down from 445 a few months ago.
Congrats on the progress.

Quote:
When I tried holding a long wooden dowel across my back, like doing a Barbell Squat, I found that I could only do 7 or 8—Arms had been going forward to counter-balance me.
I'd rather see you do them with arms forward. You could even try them holding a dumbbell for extra resistance if the bodyweight get too light. This exercise can be extremely challenging, and good for getting the heart rate up.

Quote:
Can you think of any other Exercises that I should be doing, to give me a head start when I do get back to the Gym?
The giblet squats, or squats holding weight are a very good choice. Seated overhead presses from this position is a good choice as well.

Are you able to do push ups with your knees on the ground? Even limited range push ups would be a good addition.

Lying tricep extensions, curls, hammer curls, front object raises, Arnold presses, one arm snatches, one arm cleans, planks on your knees, one arm object rows, object bench presses while on the floor.

Quote:
In my position, would you dig out the Barbell Set just for the Upright Exercises that could be done off the Grass?
I would be doing anything from the ground.

Diet...we need to get you on a lifestyle and not a diet. What were your eating habits like when you are gaining weight?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #135
Weezy
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Weezy is off to a bad start

Hey i have a question about bulking.

Im 92.5KG right now, was 81 a year ago. If i'd guess im around 20-25% bodyfat not sure, gonna get it tested at my gym in about 2 weeks (some machine so i guess it will be acurate then)

my question is should i continue to bulk, or cut down before continuing ?
am i more prone to add fat when already high on bodyfat ?

i dont really want to go much more up in bf% then i am right now, but again i dont want to loose musclemass and cut down becuse im not really where i want to be yet.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #136
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Dear big strong hairy dude,

if you remember, where did you get that smallville shirt? I've been looking for one for ages but can't seem to find it.

Thanks!
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #137
nacho
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,453, Level: 21 Points: 1,453, Level: 21 Points: 1,453, Level: 21
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Eggs
nacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machinenacho is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I prefer a grip that is about shoulder width apart. That seems to be the most comfortable for me.
Cheers Steve!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #138
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Well, brevity was never a strong point.

I was unemployed during the two years or so when I got into the long walks.

I was up to over twelve miles per night when I got a Factory Production Job.

I cut the walking down to about three miles per night.

About this time, I decided to go back to School and get a Degree in Industrial Maintenance.

40 Hrs of Work; 12 Semester Hours of Classes and 3 Miles of Walking was just too much, so I quit walking.

About this time, my father got Cancer and it fell my lot to take him to Chemotherapy 3 times weekly.

About this time, I started eating like a Truck Driver—Remember the Esquimaux Axiom:

"Food is Sleep".

Okay, flash forward a few years:

I started my last Job at about 335—and it was about an hour's drive each way.

I Really wanted to successfully pass my Probationary Period—and I thought that if I dieted, I'd be obsessing about my next meal instead of Memorizing how the little wheels and gears moved around.

So 6 months later, when I could have been weighing 300, I weighed about 380 instead...

Finally, my employer caught on that I was just too unfit to do my Job...

Couple or three years of looking fruitlessly for work...

Two or three years waiting for my Disability to be approved...

And about three years since...

I attribute my recent improvement to three factors:

#1} I unilaterally decided to cut 80 Mg/Day of Prozac from my Diet.

It took about three or four months to notice a difference.

#2} I let the Doctor browbeat me into Shooting Insulin.

I was very reluctant, because I knew once you're on Insulin, you're on it for Life...

But I must admit that it makes a dramatic improvement in how I feel.

#3} I started drinking Carbonated Water instead of Coke.

I crave the CO2 Burn at the back of my throat, and I always thought of Diet Drinks as a kind of Industrial Waste.

There went over two-Liters worth of Sugar-Water per Day...

Lifestyle:

My little Dog wakes me up about 8:30 most mornings.

I'd very much like to sleep later, but he is very persistent.

I eat a Peanut Butter Sandwich on Whole Wheat and Drink a large soup bowl of Coffee—Don't like Coffee very much, but gotta get Caffeine from somewhere...

Sometimes lunch is another PB Sandwich; or a Cheese Sandwich when there's Cheese—sometimes I skip Lunch.

Supper is generally some kind of Pork, Beef or Chicken and a "Go-To" Starch—Potato; Pasta or Rice...

Sometimes we have a Vegetable. Sometimes there are Oranges, Apples, Grapes or Bananas—most often not.

I do my weird Calisthenics Mon, Wed and Fri.

Since I got my Special Diabetic Shoes for my Neuropathy a couple weeks ago, I've been trying to walk Nightly—adding 10 or 12 yards every week.

My net is about $950/Month—not a whole lot of room to improve diet there.

About 3 years ago, I got too big to fit behind the Wheel of my Truck.

Now my License Plates; Driver's License and Insurance are all expired—and the Truck won't start.

Hopefully a new battery will resurrect him.

There is a rather "Light-Duty" Health Gym that only Charges $10/month—but they do have free weights.

My old Gym charges $230/Yr Jan to Jan. Membership is always to the Next January, pro-rated through the year...

You might have heard of It "The Pit"—It's online—The oldest Continuously run Gym in Indiana—and at one time, they had won more Teenage Powerlifting Championships than any other Gym.

Right now, in my current economy, $230 may as well be $2300...

My Podiatrist tells me that my Neuropathy will never improve significantly.

With my feet half-numb, I'll never be able to work eight hour shifts in a Factory...

Even Sitting without examining my feet every hour or so would be problematic.

I ask myself sometimes, why I should bother...

I'm never going to be able to work again, in any case...

But I believe my little Dog as well as my big Dogs—particularly the Bloodhound—would enjoy walking around the block, or so...

Were I able to take them...

I'd really like to go Hunting and Fishing again before it is completely out of the Question...

And Trivial as it may sound, I'd like to do some Heavy Squats once more and see the pump in my thighs...

Hope this isn't too long—and that you can glean some good info somewhere...

O yeah, believe it or not, though I've battled Obesity all my life, I was never a big eater until my mid-to-Late 40s.

It was large quantities of Soft-Drinks and other Beverages that did me in...

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #139
Terence_tc
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

Terence_tc is off to a bad start
Default Dead lifting and lifting heavy in general

I am no longer a young'n , at the age pf 38

I love to lift heavy especially dead lifting. My dead lift is at 600+ at 205lbs. My question is, I lift for three reasons mainly for health, to look good and to be above average strong. I always get comments when going heavy in the gym that I am partaking in a dangerous activity by going so heavy. I am curious I am just being unnecessarily risky when I don't plan to compete power lifting wise or any other form of competition. Should I keep the weight moderate and rep it out or keep trying to be as strong as possible.

Thanks
Terence_tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #140
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
Hey i have a question about bulking.

Im 92.5KG right now, was 81 a year ago. If i'd guess im around 20-25% bodyfat not sure, gonna get it tested at my gym in about 2 weeks (some machine so i guess it will be acurate then)

my question is should i continue to bulk, or cut down before continuing ?
am i more prone to add fat when already high on bodyfat ?

i dont really want to go much more up in bf% then i am right now, but again i dont want to loose musclemass and cut down becuse im not really where i want to be yet.
Hi Weezy,

Your answer lies in your question. If you don't want to add any more body fat than your only option is to lose some and bulk more.

If on the other hand you decide that an extra 10 pounds of fat is a good trade off for 20 more pounds of muscle, then keep bulking.

This is a choice you will have to make.

Whatever you do, get crazy strong.