Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #91
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio View Post
I can't link it because I don't have enough posts: muscleandbrawn.com/forums/workouts/8870-muscle-brawn-fullbody-workout.html
That's an excellent choice. It is a very solid base builder. It will have you pushing in a more hypertrophy-friendly manner, meaning each set is taken to near maximal ranges. This is the style of training I believe to be the most beneficial for most lifts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #92
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
That rep goal system - would 3 sets with a goal of 30 be appropriate for someone looking to gain some strength, but also hoping to pack on a good deal more size (with diet to match)?

I feel that a little higher rep work in general (e.g., around the 10 mark) might be good for me, but I could be wrong. Not for everything, necessarily - like deadlifts, say.

I'm still a novice lifter, probably, though I might be approaching intermediate soon-ish. Not sure. Somewhere in that area.
Hi Dray,

It depends on the lift. 30 will generally serve you well. Don't hesitate to bump it to 25 if you need to. the Important thing is progression.

It's ok to have different rep goals for different lifts. As long as they are reasonable (5-12 rep range for compounds) you'll make gains.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #93
Reefboy1980
Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Reefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality posts

Can i still make newbie gains?

I trained from the age of 17 upto 22 ish, i was extreamly skinny. 28" waist with 29" chest. I had made resonable gains by the time i'd stopped although carrying a fair bit of BF

Since then i've done very little & broke my fib & tib last year & became skinny fat. I'm now 32 & have been back at the gym for almost 4 months. I'm now back to hoe i used to look at 22. Once i just drop the last remaing BF what kind of gains am i likely to make once i start bulking? Am i classed as a newbie again? I'm currently doing the SL 5x5 routine i thought this was perfect after breaking my leg. I'm almost stronger than i was at 22 with the exception of bench press

Last edited by Reefboy1980; 03-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Reefboy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #94
drummerguydw
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

drummerguydw is off to a bad start

I'm training for fire academy and testing for fire department physical testing. I'm currently running a basic westside routine with good results. I am curious on your opinion on conditioning work, I'm shying away from endurance cardio, but I want to do something that will increase my general work capacity. I dont have a sled currently but will get one soon, or a tire, any suggestions on what to do for gpp work? and how much is alright to start with without cutting into my progression in my regular workouts. thank!
drummerguydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #95
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefboy1980 View Post
Can i still make newbie gains?

I trained from the age of 17 upto 22 ish, i was extreamly skinny. 28" waist with 29" chest. I had made resonable gains by the time i'd stopped although carrying a fair bit of BF

Since then i've done very little & broke my fib & tib last year & became skinny fat. I'm now 32 & have been back at the gym for almost 4 months. I'm now back to hoe i used to look at 22. Once i just drop the last remaing BF what kind of gains am i likely to make once i start bulking? Am i classed as a newbie again? I'm currently doing the SL 5x5 routine i thought this was perfect after breaking my leg. I'm almost stronger than i was at 22 with the exception of bench press
You can make great gains. I know 60 year olds who have transformed their physiques.

I came back to lifting in 2007 at the age of 40. I'm bigger and stronger than ever.

Don't worry if you're a beginner. Stay dedicated, get stronger and it all takes care of itself.

Once you get to you desired bodypart take a picture and message me your current height and weight. I will help you bulk properly.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #96
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguydw View Post
I'm training for fire academy and testing for fire department physical testing. I'm currently running a basic westside routine with good results. I am curious on your opinion on conditioning work, I'm shying away from endurance cardio, but I want to do something that will increase my general work capacity. I dont have a sled currently but will get one soon, or a tire, any suggestions on what to do for gpp work? and how much is alright to start with without cutting into my progression in my regular workouts. thank!
I would suggest starting with a combination of walking and kettlebell swings. Do 30 seconds of swinging and one minute of walking.

Start with 5 minutes, 2 times a week, and work up to 3x a week for 15-20 minutes.

I've gained a lot of strength while also having intense work demands. You can do both if you are eating properly. The body will adapt.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #97
northernbulk
Max Brawn
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: bench
Fav Supp: Whey iso
northernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributornorthernbulk is a dedicated contributor

Steak or Ribs?
northernbulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #98
mietaa49
New Brawn
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: <1 year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Milk
mietaa49 is off to a bad start

How does my deadlift look like? I've previously used a bit poor form. Now I'm trying to relearn the movement properly.

I use sumo cuz I squat 3x week it puts less stress on my lower back. Dunno is it good for me or not im between 6.0 and 6.1.

Last edited by mietaa49; 03-11-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: sumo
mietaa49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #99
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbulk View Post
Steak or Ribs?
PRs. Then either.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #100
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mietaa49 View Post
How does my deadlift look like? I've previously used a bit poor form. Now I'm trying to relearn the movement properly.

I use sumo cuz I squat 3x week it puts less stress on my lower back. Dunno is it good for me or not im between 6.0 and 6.1.
Looks very good. I would like to see you drive those hips forward during lockouts a bit more. I think if you really focus on hip drive you'll surprise yourself with some nice improvements.