Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #61
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc View Post
BBOD, what are your thoughts on using the 5/3/1 percentages to squat and bench 3 days a week? I just cant seem to use 5x5 on squats without my form turning to crap after the 3rd set, or even before it. I fare much better when i can give all my attention to one balls-to-the-wall set and then do lighter back off sets. Its the same on bench, after the first set, i struggle to get anywhere near the same reps.

So how about doing "5" on monday, "3" on wednesday and then "1" on friday. Doing 2-3 x10 with about 50-60% afterwards. Then of course adding 2.5kg to the estimated max each week, so its still weekly progression.

Both lifts are light, but as im weak and injury prone, going "heavy" all the time is taking its toll on me.
Hi Soc,

Are you talking about a fullbody version here? Do you have a link? Or can you post it here.

I'm not familiar with any fullbody varaitions.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #62
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Gidday BBOD,

Here is my links

Many Thanks Nath.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #63
Soc
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Soc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Are you talking about a fullbody version here? Do you have a link? Or can you post it here.

I'm not familiar with any fullbody varaitions.
I dont have a link because its just something i thought of myself. It would be something like this for squat and bench:

------ Monday ------ Wednesday ------ Friday
Set 1 65% x 5 ------ 70% x 3 ------ 75% x 5
Set 2 75% x 5 ------ 80% x 3 ------ 85% x 3
Set 3 85% x 5+ ------ 90% x 3+ ------ 95% x 1+

I would also alternate heavy rows with heavy deadlifts and do overhead press. Altogether the routine would be:

Monday:
Squat 85% x5
Bench 85% x5
Deadlift
Press 3x10

Wednesday:
Squat 90% x3
Bench 90% x3
Barbell row 5x5

Friday:
Squat 95% x1
Bench 95% x1
Deadlift
Dumbbell row 5x10

Thats just the basic template. I would almost definitely add some back off sets of squats after the main sets. I dont have any ideas for deadlift sets/reps yet, other than just lift as heavy as i can.

Hope this makes sense.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...k-forever.html
Soc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #64
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Gidday BBOD,

Here is my links

Video_00005 - YouTube

Video_00007 - YouTube

Many Thanks Nath.
Hi Nath,

Overall not bad. I can tell your upper back isn't tight because your arms are wiggly around before each rep. Grip the bar hard and imagine pushing your traps/back into it. This will help you remain as upright as possible throughout the reps.

Also, no need to speed through the reps. First and foremost you want to make sure your form is good. If you have to sacrifice 10-20% speed, do so.

Now, to your question..

Quote:
My question is.......I have been doing the Ripptoe starting strength workout for the last 4 weeks and it has be going well. Before I started Ripptoe I had to make a change in my squat form, I used to squat with a wide stance but my knees were hurting so I went back to shoulder width stance. However doing this made me dump around 100kg off my squat. However the Ripptoe workouts got me back up to 170kg for 3x5 on Monday which was great, I'm not where I was but I'm not too far away. However I went to me gym tonight (Wednesday) and I couldn't squat much at all. 140kg for one set of 5 and my legs are dead. Fells like I just done some big singles. I guess my question is should I carry on with Ripptoe starting strength, or should I move on to something a little less brutal.
I would move on. What are your goals? Strength/muscle or both?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #65
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
So, should a newbie focus on growing as beard or bulking first?
They need to secure a nice wife and earn her trust before attempting a beard.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #66
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc View Post
I dont have a link because its just something i thought of myself. It would be something like this for squat and bench:

------ Monday ------ Wednesday ------ Friday
Set 1 65% x 5 ------ 70% x 3 ------ 75% x 5
Set 2 75% x 5 ------ 80% x 3 ------ 85% x 3
Set 3 85% x 5+ ------ 90% x 3+ ------ 95% x 1+

I would also alternate heavy rows with heavy deadlifts and do overhead press. Altogether the routine would be:

Monday:
Squat 85% x5
Bench 85% x5
Deadlift
Press 3x10

Wednesday:
Squat 90% x3
Bench 90% x3
Barbell row 5x5

Friday:
Squat 95% x1
Bench 95% x1
Deadlift
Dumbbell row 5x10

Thats just the basic template. I would almost definitely add some back off sets of squats after the main sets. I dont have any ideas for deadlift sets/reps yet, other than just lift as heavy as i can.

Hope this makes sense.
I would limit deads to once a week, perhaps Wednesday, and do barbell rows on Monday, DB on Friday.

You might want to run it as a 153, allowing for a couple recovery days before your heavy day.

I would add in any more squats. I would run it as is for a month and see how things go. This is more of a frequent squatting program with heavy work. Unlike madcow, you are working with more average intensity but lower volume. I would see how it is going for a month to 6 weeks before adding any more squats.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #67
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

I would move on. What are your goals? Strength/muscle or both?

Gidday BBOD,

My Goals are to have both muscle and strength. I'm not competing in any thing rite now but I am thinking on having a go at power-lifting in the next year or two. At the moment I'm trying to put on heaps of muscle to give me a solid platform. Those power-building workouts look good, Do you think I should be doing something like that ?

Many Thanks Nath.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #68
Soc
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Soc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would limit deads to once a week, perhaps Wednesday, and do barbell rows on Monday, DB on Friday.

You might want to run it as a 153, allowing for a couple recovery days before your heavy day.

I would add in any more squats. I would run it as is for a month and see how things go. This is more of a frequent squatting program with heavy work. Unlike madcow, you are working with more average intensity but lower volume. I would see how it is going for a month to 6 weeks before adding any more squats.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll make the changes and wait a while before upping the volume.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...k-forever.html
Soc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #69
Corcioch
New Brawn
Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5 Points: 286, Level: 5
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Education
Corcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good postsCorcioch has made some good posts

Im wondering if you can help me with a problem I had, have . . .

I am a naturla lifter . . .I am currently in a caloric deficit loosing fat. . . . . . this is after several months "bulking" where to my mind all I did was get fat. I was up to 25% bodyfat or so . . . .I was training some ridiculous body part split, lots of isolation exercises, training a body part once every 7 or 8 days etc . . .

I've since stopped that and am training 5x5's. I lifting the same weight for all 5 and adding 5lbs every second session . . . . never working to failure.

I train;

Day 1 Squat. Overhead Press. Biceps. Core Work

Day 2 Bench Press. Bent Over Rows. Triceps. Core Work

Day 4 Squat. Overhead Press.

Day 5 Bench Press. Deadlift. Wide Grip Pull Ups.

I am gaining some strength but am I not going to reach limits because im in a caloric deficit.

I am looking for some advice on what kind of food intake would help me build muscle and increase strength without getting over fat again . . .I want to get bigger and stronger but not 'skinny fat'. I understand it is inevitable that I will gain some fat but I need it to be in proportion . . .

My maintenance calories are 2600 - 2700. Im 33 years old. Currently 180lbs. ( Was at 205lbs when 'fat' )

Would 300 cal surplus be too much?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Cormac.

1g Protein per lb, say 70g fat per day and the rest carbs??
Corcioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #70
JamesRB
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JamesRB is off to a bad start

I was wondering if weight is a factor of more efficient/less efficient TUT.. for example.. could a 1.5 second rep of 90%1RM be more efficient than 3 0.5 reps of 70%1RM? or are they both considered equal? My thought is that you would have more muscle recruitment with a higher intensity which would equate to "more efficient TUT" if there is such a thing.. Would like your thoughts. thanks
JamesRB is offline   Reply With Quote