Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #81
davidtran333
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

davidtran333 is off to a bad start

would you be able to critique my deadlfit?
i wanted to maker sure, when you said let my upper back and shoulder round and being natural and not forcing it. How about my lower back am i making it tight or just let it be natural?

thank you

couldnt post up the link cause i dont have 15 post yet
davidtran333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #82
fabio
New Brawn
Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

fabio is off to a bad start

Do you think your full body routine with the rep goals is superior to starting strength for a novice? My goals are strength and size, maybe compete in some PL meets in 1.5-2 years for fun

To specify my question: is 3 sets of 5 reps, adding weight every workout inferior to your rep goal system? I have some concern regarding the amount of volume on starting strength for building muscle.

Last edited by fabio; 03-09-2013 at 06:40 PM.
fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #83
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I think you should be doing something that is focused on building as much strength and muscle as possible right now.

Something like this is one example. I have a couple guys running this right now on the forum:

Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

Gidday Mr Beast, Many thanks for all your time and assistance, I like the look of this workout and would love to have a go at it, but the only problem is I only have limited resources and I don't have access to a leg press or leg curl or a cable machine. I don't go to a public gym because of my work hours. Do you know of any other workouts of this nature that I can do with basic tools, Barbells, dumbbells, Kettlebells, Trap bar, Cage, Bench, and the like. Sorry for all the trouble, Many Thanks Nath.

I just found this workout ...... Real Results 4 Day Upper Lower Split Workout

By BendTheBar

Do you think I could use this , with the 20 rep goal system with it.

Many Thanks, Nath.
You could use it with any rep goal number. The number can be adjusted per lift to fit your needs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #84
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtran333 View Post
would you be able to critique my deadlfit?
i wanted to maker sure, when you said let my upper back and shoulder round and being natural and not forcing it. How about my lower back am i making it tight or just let it be natural?

thank you

couldnt post up the link cause i dont have 15 post yet
Sure I'd be happy to take a look at your deadlift form. Get your post could up in the post farming thread and then post it up.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...t-farming.html

Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #85
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio View Post
Do you think your full body routine with the rep goals is superior to starting strength for a novice? My goals are strength and size, maybe compete in some PL meets in 1.5-2 years for fun

To specify my question: is 3 sets of 5 reps, adding weight every workout inferior to your rep goal system? I have some concern regarding the amount of volume on starting strength for building muscle.
Which fullbody workout are you referencing? I have about 20 floating around.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #86
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Gidday Mr Beast,

Just a Thanks very much for helping me out. I'll let you know how progress goes.

Many Thanks, Nath.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #87
jemag
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17

Training Type: Bodybuilding
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts

Hey Steve,

Just wondering what are your thoughts on direct ab work?

Do you think it is necessary if you have a fairly high amount of compound lifts in your routine? Do you think it helps improve other lifts like squat?

I love training, but ab is definitely not my favorite thing to do.
jemag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #88
fabio
New Brawn
Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3 Points: 184, Level: 3

fabio is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Which fullbody workout are you referencing? I have about 20 floating around.
I can't link it because I don't have enough posts: muscleandbrawn.com/forums/workouts/8870-muscle-brawn-fullbody-workout.html
fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #89
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

That rep goal system - would 3 sets with a goal of 30 be appropriate for someone looking to gain some strength, but also hoping to pack on a good deal more size (with diet to match)?

I feel that a little higher rep work in general (e.g., around the 10 mark) might be good for me, but I could be wrong. Not for everything, necessarily - like deadlifts, say.

I'm still a novice lifter, probably, though I might be approaching intermediate soon-ish. Not sure. Somewhere in that area.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #90
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemag View Post
Hey Steve,

Just wondering what are your thoughts on direct ab work?

Do you think it is necessary if you have a fairly high amount of compound lifts in your routine? Do you think it helps improve other lifts like squat?

I love training, but ab is definitely not my favorite thing to do.
I think some ab work is good, but I do not recommend overworking the abs like most people do. I am against any form of unbalanced training.

I recommend using things like weighted decline situps, cable crunches, ab wheel roll outs, planks and side bends. These exercises will help build core strength, and more strength is always a good thing.

Not only will core strength help with the big lifts, but it will also help to maintain form when the lift becomes difficult and form wants to break.