Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #871
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrknowt View Post
Im making the switch from split training to full body and trying to get a routine together to get started and was hoping for experienced advice. Background - I have been training for going on 2 years, im 20 years old. Right now the routine im looking to start tomorrow is M W F:
Flat BB bench x4
BB Row x4
BB squat x4
Deadlift x4
BB OHP x3
Lat pulldown x3
BB lunge x3
CGBP x3
Incline curl x2

Running 6-8 reps for each lift with a progression scheme of adding 1 rep to each lift until all the sets for that lift reach 8 reps then adding weight and starting back at 6. Wanting to know how the program looks, mainly the volume. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work on youtube, very underrated channel.
Welcome to the forum.

One of the biggest issues guys have when trying to switch over to full body work is that they try to do too much each day. Another common issue is that they will also use the same movements each day.

For muscle building, I recommend starting with 6 movements per day tops. I also recommend using an HLM format - Heavy, Light, Moderate training day. You use exercise variations, or rep range variations during a HLM fullbody.

For example, when trainin back HLM I often recommend:
  • Heavy - Deadlifts
  • Light - Pull Ups (or lat pull down)
  • Moderate - Barbell or Dumbbell Rows

This might work out to:

Monday - Deadlifts 3x5
Wednesday - Pull Ups 3x as many as possible. Or lat pull downs 3x12-15
Friday - Rows 3x8-10

Another example...legs.

Monday - Squats 3x5
Wednesday - Leg Press 3x20 (Or a lighter lift like extensions, hack squats, whatever.)
Friday - Squats 2x20,12

Regarding your program:

Quote:
Flat BB bench x4
BB Row x4
BB squat x4
Deadlift x4
BB OHP x3
Lat pulldown x3
BB lunge x3
CGBP x3
Incline curl x2
I wouldn't do deadlifts more than once a week. Squats I would recommend 2x a week, 3 sets max per day. Take some time to train this way, and see if you need more. Most guys really don't.

If you want to squat 2x a week, I would do:

Monday - Squats
Wednesday - Deadlift
Friday - Squats

Also, I wouldn't overhead press 3x a week. 2x a week is fine, but I would work in a dumbbell variation.

Rows and lat pulldowns - I would probably alternate those workout to workout instead of doing both each day.

Barbell lunges 3x a week, I probably wouldn't recommend.

Overall you are on the right track. I would simply streamline a bit. Hope I have helped some.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #872
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Sent you a PM big guy

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #873
joshkramer51
New Brawn

joshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good start
Default recent weight gain

Hi bearded beast iv been lifting for a little over a year now. Its sad to say but I used to neglect my legs. Hardly do them if I did them at all. In the past month and a half to 2 months iv been hitting them regularly and now I'm about 5 lbs heavier. Could that be from me hitting legs? I haven't upped my calories either
joshkramer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #874
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkramer51 View Post
Hi bearded beast iv been lifting for a little over a year now. Its sad to say but I used to neglect my legs. Hardly do them if I did them at all. In the past month and a half to 2 months iv been hitting them regularly and now I'm about 5 lbs heavier. Could that be from me hitting legs? I haven't upped my calories either
Certainly. There could be some nice muscle growth. I recommend you start taking tape measurements every month.

How precisely do you monitor calorie intake?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #875
joshkramer51
New Brawn

joshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good start

Alright ill definitely start measuring, and I have been slacking on it a lot. I have a pretty set routine everyday and I eat the same almost everyday, I used to track my macros but I stopped. Should I get back to tracking them and my calories?
joshkramer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #876
Adamite1114
Max Brawn

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Did pre-steroid era bodybuilders, such as Park, Reeves, and Grimek, use gear? Like belts, knee wraps, shirts, etc. Also did they workout abs? Not a lot of ab work in full body workouts.
Adamite1114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #877
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Did pre-steroid era bodybuilders, such as Park, Reeves, and Grimek, use gear? Like belts, knee wraps, shirts, etc. Also did they workout abs? Not a lot of ab work in full body workouts.
No shirts, that's for sure. I know in the 80s some of us were wearing ace craps when squatting, but I doubt there were knees wraps in the 50s.

Belts date back that far but I've never seen an old school lifter use one.

Many of the old school lifters did ab workout, but it was just another exercise.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #878
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkramer51 View Post
Alright ill definitely start measuring, and I have been slacking on it a lot. I have a pretty set routine everyday and I eat the same almost everyday, I used to track my macros but I stopped. Should I get back to tracking them and my calories?
Well you did say your calories were the same. The only reason I asked was to see if you knew exactly what you were eating. Without tracking it's guess, which is certainly ok. My guess is that you were eating a little more because you were hungry from the leg work.

There is no need to track calories as long as things are progressing well for you.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #879
Adamite1114
Max Brawn

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
No shirts, that's for sure. I know in the 80s some of us were wearing ace craps when squatting, but I doubt there were knees wraps in the 50s.

Belts date back that far but I've never seen an old school lifter use one.

Many of the old school lifters did ab workout, but it was just another exercise.
Very cool. Thanks for the info. Also, when working with a three day powerbuilding split, is it advisable to include cardio or resistance conditioning work on off days? Or would that be counter productive for recovery time?
Adamite1114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #880
davez
Brawn

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Hello Bearded beast, it's been a long time since I posted here. Just a quick recap of me and my stats before I ask my question:

March 2013:
Weight: 63kg (140lbs)
Height: 170cm (5feet 7inches)

Bench Press: 44kg (97lbs)
Squat: 36kg (80lbs)
Press: 26kg (57lbs)
Deadlift: 52kg (114lbs)

September 2013(now):
Weight: 72kg (155lbs)
Height: 170cm (5feet 7inches)

Bench Press: 68kg (150lbs)
Squat: 98kg (216lbs)
Overhead Press: 46kg (101lbs)
Deadlift: 106kg (233lbs)

As you can tell my lifts went up quite nicely, also I've gained some muscle in my arms, chest, back, and specially my LEGS are significantly bigger, even my abs are bigger lol. Anyway, my problem is with the Overhead Press wich went up pretty quick in the beggining but then stalled for quite some time (2 months ago to be precise). I tryed lots of things with this, like cutting the 5x5 and doing 3x5 and then 3x3, deloading, heck I even tryed to do push presses at the end (wich felt really easy! I prob could push press BW xD) but who am I kidding? I'm obviously not strong enough yet to get pass 100lbs on a strict overhead press T_T

So, I came up with the idea that maybe I needed assistance work for the lift, I know I'm still a novice lifter but I just run out of ideas to break through this plateu and I don't feel good cheating and doing push presses. What I'm doing is dips and behind the neck press as assistance work, just 3x5 for dips and 3x5 for btnp + 2 warm ups (just doing 80lbs for now) I just started doing that yesterday.

So... do you think this is a good idea? or should I do something else like fixing my technique and trying to get the most out of it, microloading? Idk, Btw I started doing 3x3 on ohp like a month ago.

Also, my bench press has stalled a bit, I couldn't get some last reps a couple of weeks ago and felt like going to failure sometimes, I deloaded and it seems to be OK now. Yesterday I failed last rep of the last set on squats but I blame that on me since I'm well aware that I've been not sleeping well lately plus I got sick last week (I got a stomachache, weird thing is that I still lifted and the squats felt even easier, wtf?). Being honest, I think my lack of sleep is starting to affect my lifts (and I'm going to take it srsly now and go to bed early), but CLEARLY my overhead press is stalling and I'll like to hear some advice from ya!

Thanks in advance
davez is offline   Reply With Quote