Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #851
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Hey Steve! Do you have any advice on shoulder growth? Particularly the medial delts...

So far my shoulder workout looks like this:

Bar shoulder press = 3 x 10-12
Bar shoulder press (behind neck) = 3 x 10-12
Dumbbell lat raise = 3 x 10-15
Bar upright row = 3 x 10
Cable rear delt row = 3 x 15

My diet is in check and i'm using your rep goal system (Getting great results with it everywhere else, but just not on the delts!)

Literally at the end of my tether with my shoulders i've tried changing the exercises, slowing the reps down, lowering the weight, upping the weight, high reps, low reps... etc..etc...etc...

My shoulders have always been a weak point of my physique but there HAS to be a way to get them growing! Any advice you have is always appreciated! HELP
Hi Simon,

A few questions...

Where is your strength on presses? Also, what is your height and weight?

How long have you been training seriously?

And one last question: any pictures that I could take a look at?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #852
Simonb26189
New Brawn
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Gorilla Beast Press
Simonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi Simon,

A few questions...

Where is your strength on presses? Also, what is your height and weight?
I've never been a very strong person... Currently pressing 50kg on the presses. Height is 5ft 10" and weight is 145lbs

Quote:

How long have you been training seriously?
about 2 and a half years

Quote:

And one last question: any pictures that I could take a look at?
Will upload some tomorrow (its 1am in the UK) any particular photos you need? i.e. front/side/back ??

Cheers!
Simonb26189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #853
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

BTB what would you recommend for getting stronger at the bottom of a deadlift? As in if I can get it above my shin I can lockout.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #854
Klz
New Brawn
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8

Klz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good start

Hello big bearded one!
I'm thinking of starting the madcow intermediate 5x5 routine
and I was thinking if it's possible to add core work on off days or will it affect too much on the recovery?
Maybe would it be better to do the core work later on the same day as your lifting?

And even though it's considered more of a strength routine if I've understood this right it should still pack good muscle
as well as strength as long as you are eating in surplus?
Klz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #855
Simonb26189
New Brawn
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12

Fav Exercise: Gorilla Beast Press
Simonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klz View Post
Hello big bearded one!
and I was thinking if it's possible to add core work on off days or will it affect too much on the recovery?
Maybe would it be better to do the core work later on the same day as your lifting?

And even though it's considered more of a strength routine if I've understood this right it should still pack good muscle
I had a similar problem a while back, try doing core both ways and see which feels better for you, either way is fine imo It wont affect your recovery as long as your diet is supporting your energy output
Simonb26189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #856
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I'm not going to offer advice, because that's what the BBOD is here for, in this thread in particular.

However, I will just point out that so-called "core work" is actually part of the Madcow routine, on more than one day already. If you don't believe me, have another look. Read it again; whatever it takes.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #857
Klz
New Brawn
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8

Klz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good start

Oh I know it has some core work in the routine already. I was just wondering if it would be a terrible idea of doing a core workout on its own on the off days.
I would skip the programs "so-called core work" in this case and do the core workout on its own on off days. If that makes any sense?
And I'm sorry if this is a stupid thing to even ask. It would just let me focus on some static holds that I wanna achieve without having to wait till I'm done with madcow.
And again if I'm just silly for even thinking it and would just hinder my progress I'm fine with just doing the program as written.
Klz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #858
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
I've never been a very strong person... Currently pressing 50kg on the presses. Height is 5ft 10" and weight is 145lbs

about 2 and a half years

Will upload some tomorrow (its 1am in the UK) any particular photos you need? i.e. front/side/back ??

Cheers!
I started weak myself. Most of us do.

Your presses are actually strong for your height and weight. The journey to a 225 pound overhead press is likely going to involve the addition of about 30 to 40 pounds of bodyweight - good weight.

At your bodyweight a 140 pound press is considered advanced. 170 pounds is elite. You are right in the intermediate range, which is stronger than 90% of men your weight.

http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLiftin...Standards.html

My main advice is to try and set up a good, nutritious eating plan that has you gaining about a pound or two per month over the next year. This will help you to increase strength if combined with a quality program.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #859
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
BTB what would you recommend for getting stronger at the bottom of a deadlift? As in if I can get it above my shin I can lockout.
I would like to see you do 3 things:

1) Get Versa Gripps, work your barbell rows to at least 315x5+ reps and one arm dumbbell rows to 160 x 10 reps. No babying. These are powerful movements.

2) 3 to 5" inch heavy deadlifts at least every other week for 1 to 2 years. I trained them exclusively for 2 years, really helped my lockout.

3) Low rack pull and shrug combo. This movement teaches you to pull explosively and can't be faked.

Do those for a year and report back.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #860
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klz View Post
Hello big bearded one!

I would probably chose core work post-workout or later in the day. I wouldn't hesitate to add in a couple of pet lifts each day if you'd like.

Regarding diet, it never hurts to eat in surplus. My strength and muscle gains always shined when I was in a reasonable surplus.

Some guys get to aggressive and add 10 pounds per month and then panic. Better to go a lot slower than that. More like a pound a month, or 2 if you consider yourself skinny.