Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #841
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponx25 View Post
So I will start the program you mentioned. As far as diet goes how much more should I eat and should I be splitting meals differently?
Eat naturally according to your tendencies. If you like a big meal at night, save more of your calories for the evening.

When adding calories after being in a low state I recommend only adding 200 per day for a couple weeks to test that.

I would probably recommend dropping cardio to 4 sessions of 20-30 minutes a week and trying 2k calories for 2 weeks. Dieting is a give and take process. I would see how that treats you and see if any adjustments are needed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #842
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Also when starting this program what percent of max should I start with?
There is no set one rep max I can recommend. Start with a weight that allows about 10 reps on your first set. After this week the program will auto-regulate. If you come in under the rep goal, stick with the weight until you git the rep goal for all the sets. If you hit the rep goal, add weight the next week.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #843
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig2 View Post
need help with cutting diet bean on a 5000 cal builk up diet need help with cutting diet
Hi Trig,

I will try to help. Let me get some info first.

--What is your height, weight and age?
--How long were you on this bulk?
--How much weight did you gain during this bulk?
--What are your goals on this cutting diet?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #844
Weaponx25
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn
Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Food
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts

A few things. I have finished day 2 of the program that you recommended. I am not able to do pull-ups or dips. However my gym has assisted pull-up and dip machines so I did those. Should I do this with a rep goal and lower assistance until I can do them on my own? That is what I did today to finish the workout. Also I wasn't sure about the ramping sets to 8 on dead lift. This is what I did for this
45x8
135x8
175x8
225x5
Should I be doing this differently?

I am enjoying this routine so far.
Weaponx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #845
NTF
New Brawn
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: CGBP
Fav Supp: Coffee
NTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forum

Will a novice be able to make gains in strength during a fat loss phase?
NTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #846
Teufelhund_OR
New Brawn
Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17

Teufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality posts
Default Squat question..

I took a squat lay off for a couple months and realized that it was probably half of my size building routine..

The reason I did was that I am 44 and my shoulders are an issue, I just can not reach back and grasp the bar on either sides of my shoulders, it hurts.

I am left with putting my arms out to the sides and putting my hands against the plates, it works ok but also is not real comfortable on the shoulders..

I am looking into a Safety squat bar that would not require me to put my hands back so far and I can hold the handles either side of my neck instead, would i get the same work out with one?

thanks brother as always...

Chris
Teufelhund_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #847
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF View Post
Will a novice be able to make gains in strength during a fat loss phase?
Yes, they should make very good strength gains. If not, something is typically broken. Usually diet.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #848
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhund_OR View Post
I took a squat lay off for a couple months and realized that it was probably half of my size building routine..

The reason I did was that I am 44 and my shoulders are an issue, I just can not reach back and grasp the bar on either sides of my shoulders, it hurts.

I am left with putting my arms out to the sides and putting my hands against the plates, it works ok but also is not real comfortable on the shoulders..

I am looking into a Safety squat bar that would not require me to put my hands back so far and I can hold the handles either side of my neck instead, would i get the same work out with one?

thanks brother as always...

Chris
Get a buffalo/bow bar. This is the one I own. I had the same issue and I squat pain free now. The bow bar is not only longer, but the curve helps with the shoulders.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/splbars1.html

Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #849
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
A few things. I have finished day 2 of the program that you recommended. I am not able to do pull-ups or dips. However my gym has assisted pull-up and dip machines so I did those. Should I do this with a rep goal and lower assistance until I can do them on my own? That is what I did today to finish the workout. Also I wasn't sure about the ramping sets to 8 on dead lift. This is what I did for this
45x8
135x8
175x8
225x5
Should I be doing this differently?

I am enjoying this routine so far.
I would do the assisted movements until you get quite strong at them, and then test your pull up and dip ability. Having never used one of these machines, I am simply guess here, but I believe a higher average rep per set may be in order.

So a rep goal that averages about 10 reps per set.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #850
Simonb26189
New Brawn
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12

Fav Exercise: Gorilla Beast Press
Simonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good start

Hey Steve! Do you have any advice on shoulder growth? Particularly the medial delts...

So far my shoulder workout looks like this:

Bar shoulder press = 3 x 10-12
Bar shoulder press (behind neck) = 3 x 10-12
Dumbbell lat raise = 3 x 10-15
Bar upright row = 3 x 10
Cable rear delt row = 3 x 15

My diet is in check and i'm using your rep goal system (Getting great results with it everywhere else, but just not on the delts!)

Literally at the end of my tether with my shoulders i've tried changing the exercises, slowing the reps down, lowering the weight, upping the weight, high reps, low reps... etc..etc...etc...

My shoulders have always been a weak point of my physique but there HAS to be a way to get them growing! Any advice you have is always appreciated! HELP
Simonb26189 is offline   Reply With Quote